Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Vintage white baseball figurines - what are these? Willie Mays +

Hey guys, I need some help figuring out what these are and who produced them - also, how old are they? I have a friend who has had these for years and assumes they are from the early 60's or something from when he was young but doesn't quite remember. There are no markings on the figures as to the maker - the players he has are as follows: Gran Hamner, Ted Kluszewski, Early Wynn, Smoky Burgess, Willie Mays, Ernie Banks, Hank Thompson, Don Mueller, Ray Boone, Richie Ashburn and Don Newcombe (as per the list he sent me). He may be wrong on the age he says and where he got them. So - what are they? Estimated value? I really have no idea what these are... thanks for the help!

Here is the photo he sent me:

Comments

• I think maybe a Dairy Queen giveaway.
  • don't think Willie would have allowed a 'white' connotation. He's a hater. I think you made those figurines from the play-do series molds from '67. Continue on though, could actually be very valuable.
  • From the SCD website.

"1955 Dairy Queen Statues
    In 1955, Dairy Queen released a set of 18 miniature baseball players. These 3½-inch statues were made of white plastic and featured a player in an action pose. The Mickey Mantle statue showed him bunting left-handed. The players name was located at the bottom of a white base. Some of the other players included in the set were Willie Mays, Duke Snider, Yogi Berra, Stan Musial, Gil Hodges and Roy Campanella. One common problem is that the bats that the players were holding would break off. A complete unbroken Mantle is worth about $150-$200."
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna give another suggestion...

These are the 1955 Robert Gould Statues - and based on the players listed - the Dairy Queens don't match.

Plus, to my knowledge, the DQs have square bases while the RGs are rounded.

Here's a listing for the Mays statue for sale - listed as Robert Gould Statue:

Moreover, there's no Mays, Banks or Thompson in the DQ checklist I believe.

1955 Robert Gould Statues checklist:
    1 Willie Mays
    2 Gus Zernial
    3 Red Schoendienst
    4 Chico Carrasquel
    5 Jim Hegan
    6 Curt Simmons
    7 Bob Porterfield
    8 Jim Busby
    9 Don Mueller
    10 Ted Kluszewski
    11 Ray Boone
    12 Smoky Burgess
    13 Bob Rush
    14 Early Wynn
    15 Bill Bruton
    16 Gus Bell
    17 Jim Finigan
    18 Granny Hamner
    19 Hank Thompson
    20 Joe Coleman
    21 Don Newcombe
    22 Richie Ashburn
    23 Bobby Thomson
    24 Sid Gordon
    25 Gerry Coleman
    26 Ernie Banks
    27 Billy Pierce
    28 Mel Parnell
    Mike
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm gonna give another suggestion...

These are the 1955 Robert Gould Statues - and based on the players listed - the Dairy Queens don't match.

Plus, to my knowledge, the DQs have square bases while the RGs are rounded.

Moreover, there's no Mays, Banks or Thompson in the DQ checklist I believe.
    >>

Great info, Mike! Thanks for taking the time to dig this up and share it!
    Hi Mike - thanx.

BTW - a Mays sold on ebay - just checked - for 125$ - could not tell the true condition.

The one posted here is in OK condition - and with a little mild soap - may clean up - and look way better.

These statues are hard to come by - but the cards that came with them are even more scarce and kind of pricey:

If someone is a VCP member, they can look up the values of graded cards sold.
    Mike
  • Good post Mike, I was pretty much guessing.
    I'd like to add to the discussion with a piece of ephemera that sheds light on the distribution of these statues:

As one can see - if ya send in 2 wrappers from Baby Ruth or Butterfingers, one can select from four series of the statues for 50 cents - which was quite a bit of money for a kid back in '55.

Also, and this is conjecture - the popularity of A to D series may affect the 'selection' of one and may provide anecdotal evidence to the current availability of certain statues?

Mike