Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Tallboy SGC to PSA crossover

I have not been a psa ember in quite a while. I have some cards I would like to get graded and reviewed as well as crossover.
I had sgc grade them many years ago when psa didn't grade tallboys. I have a group that are sgc 84 to 92. Most are 88

Is it better to crack and sub? send for crossover (with min grade) ?

Or...sell as sgc? I only collect psa

In some cases such as the 69 Frazier the difference in value can be substantial. I think it has a great chance for a psa 9.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
1948-76 Topps FB Sets
FB & BB HOF Player sets
1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Comments

• aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    jay0791 - Because those cards are in the SGC holders without the split grade, you might have a tough time crossing them in the holder. I think the perception is that cards without the split grade are not valued or graded as carefully as the more recent cards.

If you submitted them yourself and are certain they are not trimmed or altered, I would crack them out of the holder and send them to PSA.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    crack out the #2 if the back is ok, on the frazier , I don;t think you have a chance at a 9, the top to bottom centering is too far off. an 8 may even be a stretch although the card is a beauty. that one may sell better in the sgc holder.
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Wow! Beautiful cards. If you crack 'em, the way things are now, they very well might come back EOT. In that event, you'd have left a ton of $$ on the table. If you try to cross, they may come back as a lesser grade. If they were mine, I'd forego the risk either way and try selling in their present holders. Much safer and less heartburn!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Jay

I'd try for a crossover with a minimum grade.

Good for you.
  • nice scans, very helpful...
    I don't think either will cross ( sorry )...
    sell em and call it a day and then buy in psa holders if you really want/need em...

Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. None are trimmed to the best of my knowledge. I have had many of them for 10+ years.
    As I am working on the tallboy sets in psa I have a very good idea of what a 8 and 9 looks like.

A few I need for my psa sets so a crossover would be nice. Such as te 1970 #2 its a SP and worth $150+ in psa 8.

What I don't know is how PSA percieves SGC. Will the slam it as a competitor or give it a fair looksy?

The point on the 69 Frazier is well taken. I have about 40-50 cards in question so my questions are not necessarily about one card...but I do value a expert 2nd opinion.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't crack the cards out. I had a 69-70 Alcindor that got EOT from PSA, and when I sent to SGC, it got 7.5. You might not think it's trimmed, but you never know what the graders determine.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I think selling the #2 in the sgc holder would be giving it away, you will never get it's going rate. crack it out and budget 3 submissions, there is no way that card does not find it's way into a psa 8 holder on 3 tries.

if you are going to auction it as is , let me know as I will buy it and follow the above approach after it sells for peanuts in the sgc holder. That card has an appeal to set collectors which means psa which is why an 8 sells for 200 bucks. sgc does not have the set collectors so the only buyers of that card are people looking to crack and grade imo
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Jay, I did the same thing as you. I graded my star card tallboys in the late 1990's when only SGC was grading them. Then I tried crossing 20 of them to PSA around 2006 or so, this was before the half grade roll out.

Out of 20 cards, seven crossed to the same grade. I submitted quite a few 92's in the bunch too and since I felt these were better than PSA 8's, and the 8.5 grade wasn't around yet, I put the min. grade down as PSA 9. None of them crossed up to the next half grade. Mostly due to t-b centering like on your Frazier card. None of mine were indicated to be EOT. These were all pack fresh cards or were from vending boxes.

So I hit on 35% and considering there were at least 7 or 8 SGA 92's in the mix, I think I did very well. I'm sure many of those 92's would cross to PSA 8.5s today. These were my only ever submitted crossovers.

Below are two of the one's that crossed, before and after scans.
    I sold these two off several years ago. I have yet to see a 'Minter' Elgin Baylor.

Sorry for the giant size....

I think your Frazier is an 8 based on the T-B centering. The leader card looks like an 8 to me as well. Good luck on whatever you decide.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    wow nice cards. The baylor is hard 2 get even in an 8.
    Still need that one for my set.

I would stil be happy if the 92's crossed into an 8
    Nothing is a nice as the D Debuss although I have that in a 92.

Appreciate the expert replies.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    For what it's worth, I have NEVER been able to cross any SGC 92's (8.5) to PSA 8.5's (or higher). In cracking out same - usually get 8's, but occasionally a home run is hit as I have had a few come back 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!