Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

53-S Franklin I just picked up- probably the sharpest strike I have seen

darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
I think it looks better than the certified FBL coins I have seen. The obverse is really nice for the date/mint mark and the lower bell lines look as good as any I have owned. Feel free to grade or offer opinions. Think I should submit?

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks real good!!

ms64FBL?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    Nice bell lines for a 53

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't see the FBL
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>i don't see the FBL >>

+1
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    +2

if they were there that'd be a monster for sure.... 5 figures
  • Options
    Hey guy's I never said it was FBL just that it was better than the certified FBL coins I have seen in person. From what I can tell there are two varieties of 53-S FBL coins- the first being like the one I have pictured with the lower bell lines close to being there and poor upper bell lines. The other variety I have seen has nice upper bell lines but the lower bell lines are not as nice as the one pictured. These are just my thoughts on looking for these coins for most of the last decade. By the way this coin was bought raw today for $30 and I am pretty happy about that image.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    I for one would like to see a coin where you could actually read the words on the bell.. never mind the bell lines.

my guess ms64 ...a 30 dollar coin.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options

<< <i>I for one would like to see a coin where you could actually read the words on the bell.. never mind the bell lines.

my guess ms64 ...a 30 dollar coin. >>

I agree bell lines are not everything.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice for 30 though. I think there is a bit of action on Bennie's cheek...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I for one would like to see a coin where you could actually read the words on the bell.. never mind the bell lines.

>>

Show us some good bell words please
  • Options

<< <i>Nice for 30 though. I think there is a bit of action on Bennie's cheek... >>

Actually the cheek area is really clean and that is the area of strike weekness on the obverse. When you shrink the image down to the true life size that is hardly noticeable. I think it has a real shot at 66 and the real reason I bought it.
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ..looks like a nicely struck PCGs MS 65 NFBL
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    I think the big hit in the prime focal area of the face coupled with all of the smaller marks in the cheek and hair plus the hit on the right edge of the bell preclude this coin from grading MS65. I think it is a well struck MS64, not FBL. Obviously the high quality images magnify these small defects, but that is my opinion. Nice coin for the date and MM.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like 65 or 66 to me, and I would definitely submit that one at least several times.

That rev. die, with the die gouges on the lower lines and clapper, produced a good number of very close candidates.
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    Some of the PCGS graded '53-S FBLs are from this die. Your coin has better bell lines than most of this date but not enough for FBL IMO. I have a '53-S from this die but it's a LDS and the bell lines are similar to yours.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I'm in the 65 NFL group.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin. I'm in the 65 NFL group. >>

Same here. That's a great looking Franklin.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfect example of how while the spectrum of strike quality is obviously continuous, the designations and pricing represent two discrete levels. When price guides show a multiple of 100+ difference between these two levels, there are going to be coins on the lower level that represent an incredible value. This is such a coin.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a series I'm particularly fond of, but I see this example as a super slider imho image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Maybe pcgs 65+, dont send it in economy or you wont get "plus', thought I would remind you darktone! Good luck with itimage-------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    SEGS calls this one 75% FBL I don't think I have ever seen one that would be 100% full...it's always "the best yer gonna get."

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the pics Frank. There is one coin on the Heritage website that looks hammered. I have never seen it in person though.
  • Options

<< <i>It's not a series I'm particularly fond of, but I see this example as a super slider imho image >>

Well it is currently in a PCGS MS66 holder....
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is shocking as there is simply too much chatter on Ben's hairline and jawline for a 66 IMO. Why, oh why can I not catch PCGS on a snoozing grading day like the one this coin seems to have gotten through on. Regardless of the bell line state, the obv. should be dinging the grade a lot more...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin dude!image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I sent this one in a year or so ago and did not get the full bell designation.

"Have a nice day!"
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that is shocking as there is simply too much chatter on Ben's hairline and jawline for a 66 IMO. Why, oh why can I not catch PCGS on a snoozing grading day like the one this coin seems to have gotten through on. Regardless of the bell line state, the obv. should be dinging the grade a lot more... >>

Clearly, the grade got a bump for the strike...
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's not a series I'm particularly fond of, but I see this example as a super slider imho image >>

Well it is currently in a PCGS MS66 holder.... >>

Wait a minute here.

Broadstruck is refering to the OP's coin not Franks coin.

The OP's coin was purchased raw and is still raw.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The OP coin is PCGS MS66.
  • Options
    ColonelKlinckColonelKlinck Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent this one in a year or so ago and did not get the full bell designation.

image >>

With a full "Pass and Stow", your 53-S is a monster strike and should receive the FBL designation. I've seen many a franklin with a much lesser strike graded as full bell lines. You got robbed on that submission.
  • Options
    "Clearly, the grade got a bump for the strike..."

Sometimes I used to think it would be great if the grade was broken down into Strike, Luster, Eye Appeal etc. while keeping it simple. Much less guessing for the consumer, but then more to get right...or wrong I suppose..more to guarantee or more reasons for resubmits so, I guess something like this will never happen.

It just seems one coin is 65 but "is" a 66 because of strike, another 66 "is" a 65 because it is toned not quite beautifully, and another coin one might think is a 62 but actually is a 63+ to those who know the series well...hardly clear with all these permutations (unless you know every series very well). This might make sight unseen trading more succesful - a little more to gauge and less to guess? How many different ways can a 62 be a 62? Are there some 62's you don't want and some you do? Would additional data...not unlike the RD, RB and Brn...be useful to you?
    What was that coin posted a while back..."how'd would you feel if you bought that as a 62 and then saw it in hand as it is?" Perhaps that kind of problem could be minimized. It would be good for all. My .02

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file