Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When great collections get broken up... (Pictures Inside)

...mediocre collections get a helluva lot better. When Bruce broke his second set up, him and Laura worked with us and we were able to make some huge additions to our set, including the coin I've been chasing hardcore for a long time now - the James A Stack Specimen of the 1873-CC. Also included are three MS64s (1844, 1848, and 1865), and three MS63s (1845, 1846-O, and 1850-O). Enjoy the pictures guys and any comments are more than welcome! image

All the images except for the 1845 are cropped TruViews. Not sure if I have to note this or not since we now own the coins, but better safe then sorry...

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Comments

• Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Nice.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I can certainly see why you chased that 1873 cc ....she is a beauty
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice upgrades. Wheres that drool emotion.image
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun to see such original pieces and the way a coin should 'look'. They are beauts!

Drunner
    (No Doily Seated Dollar line will appear here)
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    great adds, wow what a bunch a great upgrades. Chances of a lifetime maybe, I can see why you opened the bank to buy all those.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AGREED! When sets of that magnitude are broken up it allows others the opportunity to play in a little corner of the big-boy sand box. Nice!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very happy that you had a chance to pick those up. My personal opinion is that the 46-O is very high end. Congrats!
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing coins! Very nice indeed!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm very happy that you had a chance to pick those up. My personal opinion is that the 46-O is very high end. Congrats! >>

That 46-O is the one coin in this group that is calling out to me...
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Thanks for the comments guys. With the exception of the 1865, all the coins are heavily toned and undoubtedly none of them have not been messed with for a LONG time (if ever...).

My personal favorite (excluding the 73-cc) is the 1848. People not familiar with the series may not recognize it, but once you get above AU, the 1848 is one of the toughest coins in the series, and at MS-64 I believe it is the second finest known with only Bruce's original 1848 finer (and what a monster that was!).
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    I like the '45 and '46 a lot! Very neat!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice acquisitions, Speety! The 1848 is also my fav of the grouping. To be honest, I am glad that TDN has exited this series. I don't need the pressure, not even at the high-end of the series. Of course, this means that the nice stuff won't surface as often, but I can afford to be patient.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

<< <i>Nice acquisitions, Speety! The 1848 is also my fav of the grouping. To be honest, I am glad that TDN has exited this series. I don't need the pressure, not even at the high-end of the series. Of course, this means that the nice stuff won't surface as often, but I can afford to be patient.

image >>

Thanks EVP! I think I met you at a Baltimore show two or three years back - iirc our XF40 1873-CC used to be in your set... I didn't think I'd ever find another one I felt was worthy of replacing that coin!

In a selfish way, i'm kind of glad he's out of the series too, he was buying all the MS64 and some MS63s! image

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    speety, Wonderful new acquisitions and I'm so happy to hear TDN gave you those as that's just a marvelous YN donation! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow,.......... congratulations jumping on the opportunity!

Nice coins.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>speety, Wonderful new acquisitions and I'm so happy to hear TDN gave you those as that's just a marvelous YN donation! imageimage >>

Bruce really is a class act... he gave a struggling college student six Trade Dollars for his collection! imageimage

My favorites... (Bruce, are you listening?) image

#1 - 1873-CC
    #2 - 1848
    #3 - 1846-O
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

<< <i>speety, Wonderful new acquisitions and I'm so happy to hear TDN gave you those as that's just a marvelous YN donation! imageimage >>

He made the kind offer but I had to decline since I am now 21 and I feel like YNs are under 21... So he only charged us double retail! What a swell guy! imageimage

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

He made the kind offer but I had to decline since I am now 21 and I feel like YNs are under 21... So he only charged us double retail! What a swell guy! imageimage >>

What are you going to do with the coins in your collection that will be replaced?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful dollars, Speety. You're a lucky guy!
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

He made the kind offer but I had to decline since I am now 21 and I feel like YNs are under 21... So he only charged us double retail! What a swell guy! imageimage >>

What are you going to do with the coins in your collection that will be replaced? >>

For now just sit on em... Eventually we may sell off some of the dupes as I've already got some PMs asking about certain coins. The 1873-CC is the only high dollar duplicate but its so nice we are hesitant to get rid of her so the sisters will be re-united for a while.

• Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Why can't I see a mint mark on the 73-CC?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why can't I see a mint mark on the 73-CC? >>

Your not looking high enough as it's snug a bug right near the olive branch.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>Why can't I see a mint mark on the 73-CC? >>

The bottom tip of the arrow feather is directly between the 'CC'. The angle used to get the color to pop out kind of put a little glare on the mintmark kinda hiding it...

• Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Mark! Fantastic coins!
  • Options
    What did u decide on the 44?

Personally, I think ur better off w/ one more tough coin for the set and no dupes. Sell the dupes and upgrade while u have the opportunity!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on taking the collection up to the next level!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>What did u decide on the 44?

Personally, I think ur better off w/ one more tough coin for the set and no dupes. Sell the dupes and upgrade while u have the opportunity! >>

said the consummate salesman... image
  • Options

<< <i>

Personally, I think ur better off w/ one more tough coin for the set and no dupes. Sell the dupes and upgrade while u have the opportunity! >>

said the consummate salesman... image >>

Perhaps - though I try to temper my own self interest w/ reality. Already warned him not to buy so much that he's overextended. But I do agree with my own post - why keep dupes instead of buying a pop 1 or 2 coin when it's available?
  • Options
    PM sent Bruce

Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

Also, please note why people pay for the TruViews. The 1845 is my image, the rest are cropped TruViews... imageimage

• Options
    Very nice coins indeed.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

said the consummate salesman... image >>

Perhaps - though I try to temper my own self interest w/ reality. Already warned him not to buy so much that he's overextended. But I do agree with my own post - why keep dupes instead of buying a pop 1 or 2 coin when it's available? >>

I'm the consummate minimalist... so I would agree to your advice of getting rid of the dupes too (excluding girlfriends, of course)! image
  • Options
    I knida lie right in the middle - I like the dupes image

We'll probably start to let go of some dupes here pretty soon - the SDB is getting full... image

• Options

<< <i>What did u decide on the 44? >>

Ummmm it should arrive tomorrow image Added picture in OP

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What did u decide on the 44? >>

Ummmm it should arrive tomorrow image Added picture in OP >>

Shouldn't you be studying? image

Maybe you'll be able to upgrade those two 59s at the CSNS.
  • Options

<< <i>Shouldn't you be studying? image >>

Just got out of the computer lab - Class from 8am to 6pm on tuesdays, blahhhhh no more studying today! Gotta start some lab reports soon though...

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, those are super nice coins Speety ! I definately feel like a tiny minnow in a lake full of big fishimage
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the comments guys. With the exception of the 1865, all the coins are heavily toned and undoubtedly none of them have not been messed with for a LONG time (if ever...).

My personal favorite (excluding the 73-cc) is the 1848. People not familiar with the series may not recognize it, but once you get above AU, the 1848 is one of the toughest coins in the series, and at MS-64 I believe it is the second finest known with only Bruce's original 1848 finer (and what a monster that was!). >>

Speety - You are 100% correct about the 1848. Its always been my favorite date of the Seated Dollars. Low mintage
    and as you said any coin in AU + is extremely difficult to locate. Years can go by before another 1848 shows up for sale.
    I was fortunate to have had one in PCGS 58 and I thought I picked it up for a song. Of course, the 73-CC is my favorite
    in the fantastic group that you just purchased thru Legend and TDN, because of its toning. Great looking coins. Hope someday
    to inspect them in person.

Congratulations are definitely in order ... image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet looking group of coins. Congrats on the pickups!
  • Options

<< <i>Hope someday to inspect them in person. >>

For anyone who will be at Central States - the set will be on display Friday and Saturday. We unfortunately cannot make it there before Thursday night... I doubt we'll be able to allow for much "in hand" inspection because of the size of the show, but please do stop by if you are there and introduce yourself.

Also, easy on the criticism of the display. It will be my first one and will definitely be a learning experience for future times. image

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Mark,

Sorry, but I can't be at Central States.
    I hope to be at Summer FUN and I will
    be at the August ANA, as my Barbers will
    be auctioned off at Heritage's pre-ANA Sale.

Your's is an amazing collection and
    regardless of how the exhibit looks,
    its the coins who are the stars !!

Again, congratulations on all the newps;
    it would normally take a lifetime to accumulate
    all what you have done in your collecting career.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

TTT

Was just thinking about @speety and wanted to bring up some old threads and coins to enjoy.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a bright kid with a hell of a future. Tragic and I think about him often. I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet him

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will trade you my 46-0 in P45 for your any day of the week - stunning example and so are the rest of them!

Thumbs up!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

I miss his enthusiasm. What a bright light...

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very sad loss. Such a sharp, engaging kid.
    Lance.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when I first met him, I was just walking by Legend's table and Laura waved me over and introduced us. I looked at Laura with shock since she knew I liked being anonymous and she totally blew my cover. Since then, I've come to appreciate him so much and was deeply saddened by his passing. I miss our hour-long "ten minute" chat sessions...

That apple didn't fall far from the tree: his father is a good man too and a coin nerd like most of us too.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file