Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Do You Find It Annoying? II

After receiving a slabbed card won at auction, only to find the seller has left a sticker on the rear, and now you have to deal with the messy and time consuming hassle of removing it. Usually the adhesive is so old it requires a solvent of some sort to get rid of all the goo.

It seems this is happening more frequently of late. You would hope that a seller would have the common courtesy of dealing with this himself B4 shipping.

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>After receiving a slabbed card won at auction, only to find the seller has left a sticker on the rear, and now you have to deal with the messy and time consuming hassle of removing it. Usually the adhesive is so old it requires a solvent of some sort to get rid of all the goo.

It seems this is happening more frequently of late. You would hope that a seller would have the common courtesy of dealing with this himself B4 shipping. >>

Just opened a new Ebay package today, didja? These two annoyances sound like fresh wounds. And yeah, this one totally bites.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Just opened a new Ebay package today, didja? These two annoyances sound like fresh wounds. And yeah, this one totally bites.

BB King is totally on top of it!
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    LOL... first thread I read after coming home from work this evening... and immediately after I opened a package that arrived today from an eBay purchase with the exact problem stated here... ughh!!!
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Stickers on slabs are annoying, but they can be cleaned off most times.

I find scratched up slabs more of a pain.
    I reholdered 20+ cards in Nov. due to scratched up slabs or
    slabs with cracks in them. $100+ gone that I can't use to buy
    more cards.

I don't like passing the screwed up slab onto the next buyer either.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather get a card with a sticker on it that GooGone will take care of then one that has a crack in it.....more of a hassle returning the card in that case, if the seller will take it back......got burned before when the ebay item stated NO RETURNS ON GRADED CARDS....almost like they knew the card was already cracked.....
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    ON an odd side-not, my most recent sub came back from PSA with a clear ad sticker from ML on the front card. It's one of those static stickers so no big worries, but it's kind of annoying to get a card back from an objective grading company with an ad attached to a card.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>After receiving a slabbed card won at auction, only to find the seller has left a sticker on the rear, and now you have to deal with the messy and time consuming hassle of removing it. Usually the adhesive is so old it requires a solvent of some sort to get rid of all the goo.

It seems this is happening more frequently of late. You would hope that a seller would have the common courtesy of dealing with this himself B4 shipping. >>

Yes I received a 73 Topps Ryan with the slab clouded (not described in auction.) I'm sure seller had tried to use a solvent on sticker residue. Anyway, I'm having it reholdered. Added expense and exposure to loss, damage, etc. was not anticipated when purchased. Could have asked for a refund...so I'm not allowed to complain too much about it.
    My favorite ball players throughout the years: Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Ellis Burks, Lance Berkman
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We bought a bunch of cards a year or so ago go from CU member theczar (Frank Merz). Most of the cards were fine but 4 of them had serious cracks in them. He then made up the excuse that that was how they were when he got them and that we were nitpicking to even mention this.

He now spends hundreds and hundreds of dollars on single cards for his 1977 Topps Baseball set, and yet balked at his responsibility to refund $20 to keep a seller happy, and more importantly, do the right thing.

This is the risk you take when making payments via Paypal gift. In general, it's fine, but once in a while you'll get burned like we did by theczar.

Oh old memories ... we got these cards reholdered on our own dime of course. >>

I understand the frustration of not receiving perfection . I've dealt with Frank (Theczar) many , many times and have never had a reason to whine like a little girl / boy thing . On his higher priced items that I've bought , everything was well protected and arrived on time and as expected. Even on his lower quality items , I've never had any issues as well.

My understanding was Frank had made a super deal with you at a massive discount. I think it was YOU , in one of your creepy post , that stated It would take a long time , to collect "said" items ---- to justify your normal " Above reasonable , overpriced krap you sell. Even if you had to buy to reholder ( if you even did) them , these cards were much cheaper than if you had to buy them at a non discounted rate.

Paul or whatever you are , the way you like to trash others is not good. You are mentioned on numerous boards , in never a good light , and I think most normal people would find themselves hard pressed to find or mention , any of your better personal qualities. I believe you give most normal folks here the same taste in their mouth , that the infamous Gary does.

What you did to Hatch , caused me personally to lose the very little bit of respect I still had left for you. I'm a firm believer that what goes around , comes around. --- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>We bought a bunch of cards a year or so ago go from CU member theczar (Frank Merz). Most of the cards were fine but 4 of them had serious cracks in them. He then made up the excuse that that was how they were when he got them and that we were nitpicking to even mention this.

He now spends hundreds and hundreds of dollars on single cards for his 1977 Topps Baseball set, and yet balked at his responsibility to refund $20 to keep a seller happy, and more importantly, do the right thing.

This is the risk you take when making payments via Paypal gift. In general, it's fine, but once in a while you'll get burned like we did by theczar.

I understand the frustration of not receiving perfection . I've dealt with Frank (Theczar) many , many times and have never had a reason to whine like a little girl / boy thing . On his higher priced items that I've bought , everything was well protected and arrived on time and as expected. Even on his lower quality items , I've never had any issues as well.

My understanding was Frank had made a super deal with you at a massive discount. I think it was YOU , in one of your creepy post , that stated It would take a long time , to collect "said" items ---- to justify your normal " Above reasonable , overpriced krap you sell. Even if you had to buy to reholder ( if you even did) them , these cards were much cheaper than if you had to buy them at a non discounted rate.

Paul or whatever you are , the way you like to trash others is not good. You are mentioned on numerous boards , in never a good light , and I think most normal people would find themselves hard pressed to find or mention , any of your better personal qualities. I believe you give most normal folks here the same taste in their mouth , that the infamous Gary does.

What you did to Hatch , caused me personally to lose the very little bit of respect I still had left for you. I'm a firm believer that what goes around , comes around. --- Sonny >>

I echo these sentiments...
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    paul,
    if you think i am going flame back at you and bring the popcorn girl to this thread you are mistaken.

my only response to you is this. is it good advice for all of us, but especially for you.

Matthew 7:5
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

First of all, who the hell are "we"? I find it hard to believe that there is another moron out there operating on your business model.

Second, seriously? A moral lesson from a guy that charges $700 for 1977 "mint" sets that aren't mint, and who intentionally causes other board members to pay more than they should at auction? I certainly hope what you did to Hatch was only to raise prices on for your own eventual sales of '78s, and not just to be belligerent.

I probably don't need to post this, because I'd be surprised if there is a board member here that takes you seriously, but for anyone reading this thread,
    I'll strongly reiterate what others have said about Frank - above board in every way, as I have personally dealt with him on a regular basis for several years.
    Buyers/collectors like Frank and Hatch are good for the hobby, as their purchases keep prices strong.

I'll guess that whining publicly about $20 after you get a great bulk deal from another board member will reduce your credibility to about zero.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First of all, who the hell are "we"? I find it hard to believe that there is another moron out there operating on your business model.

Second, seriously? A moral lesson from a guy that charges $700 for 1977 "mint" sets that aren't mint, and who intentionally causes other board members to pay more than they should at auction? I certainly hope what you did to Hatch was only to raise prices on for your own eventual sales of '78s, and not just to be belligerent.

I probably don't need to post this, because I'd be surprised if there is a board member here that takes you seriously, but for anyone reading this thread,
    I'll strongly reiterate what others have said about Frank - above board in every way, as I have personally dealt with him on a regular basis for several years.
    Buyers/collectors like Frank and Hatch are good for the hobby, as their purchases keep prices strong.

I'll guess that whining publicly about $20 after you get a great bulk deal from another board member will reduce your credibility to about zero. >>

---- " credibilty to about zero . "--------- A couple of things can be said about this.
    (1)--- If its this low , there may the possibility of marginal inprovement in the same lifetime.
    (2)-- I need to remind everyone there is a large difference between ZERO and an angstrom ABOVE ZERO .
    Zero is Burge- territory . Basicly what I'm saying is that there are some slightly minor differences between a bottom feeder scum and a surface feeding scum. Morons will scratch their head , and wonder what the hell my point is.

So be it.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Total off thread posts.

The sticky problems that irk me are always on the back of the card and they are generally unscanned. Way troublesome and time consuming to ask for a rear scan of every card you bid on.

There once was a great product called "Paper Off" in a spray bottle that I found to be the very best in removing sticky gunk from plastic. I think it has been discontinued. Does anybody know?

Also, is goo be gone any good for this problem? If anyone has good results with other solvents/cleaners, please advise.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Goo gone works.

Never had a problem with Frank either, btw Frank I need to PM you.

S
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 2 cents...

Chill out, crap happens in this business. 99.9% of the time everything goes pretty well...focus on more important stuff in your life than a deal that has a few barbs.

As for the sticky on the back...WD40 used judiciously will end your migraine here. Spray on paper towel...rub vigorously on tab/sticky stuff. Soon it loosens and goes away, as does the goo. Wipe quickly with a clean paper towel.

LMK if open-heart surgery comes your way...then I'll worry and pray for you...let the other stuff go, life is such a short ride.

As for the cheap shot at Frank (the czar), I've done a bunch of deals with him...nothing but spot on perfect, EVERY time.

• Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>but 4 of them had serious cracks in them. He then made up the excuse that that was how they were when he got them and that we were nitpicking to even mention this. >>

I do not know the buyer or seller here but no seller should knowingly sell cards with cracked cases without disclosing it to the buyer. The size and discount of the deal is irrelevant.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i like sticky stuff. comes off real easy with a little elbow grease, usually. the sticky stuff or cracks and crummy scans will occasionally drive folks away from auctions, too. it offers a chance to score a nice card for considerably less than what a competitor might want to pay for a perfect looking piece of plastic in a crisp, sharp looking scan.....if i can see it, i'll buy it.

i've reslabbed a bunch of cards in the past couple years and i believe many came at a bargain because of their appearance.

and here's a +1 for theczar.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you purchase cards in a bulk lot you should expect a few nicer, a few worse, some cases pristene, some scratched or worse. There should be a law; either keep them all or send the entire lot back. Not cherry pick and ask for partial refunds on the others. BTW has anyone purchased in bulk and was pleasantly suprised by the quality of the lot and sent by PayPal Gift a few more dollars to the seller? Also you can save yourself some aggravation if you remember these two facts of life;
    1. Buyers are idiots.
    2. Sellers are crooks.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Ralph,

1. Buyers are idiots.

I recently acquired 96 1955 Topps PSA 7 cards and the deal went very smoothly. The lot was actually for 97 cards, but one card could not be located...I simply accepted a $20 paypal refund, which I thought was generous on my part, given that I ended up with less than the $20. All cards BTW were in excellent condition, perhaps a bit of WD40 here and there to remove some "stuff", but overall very pleased. This purchase BTW pushed me to needing just under 30 cards to complete the set in straight PSA 7. I was lucky to find a "motivated" seller and got a superb price.

2. Sellers are crooks. I trust our transaction of not long ago excludes me from your premise. Nor do I think you're an idiot.

Regards,
    Al

• Options
    Al
    My premise applies to everyone except me and you. image

Actually it is pretty much tongue in cheek. After reading these forums for several years the theme I see repeated often is sellers complaining about the idiots they have to deal with or buyers complaining about a deal and asking if they should forget about it, leave a negative, demand a refund, or go kick his butt.

In truth if a deal goes smoothly (as ours did because we are both competent, reasonable individuals) we just move on. I guess it is human nature to accentuate the negative and forget the positive.

Ralph

• Options
    Well said Ralph...BTW, how are you progressing with your set?
  • Options
    Thanks for asking. I finished my 55 set a couple years ago. It has a 6.29 rating. I occasionally upgrade it, like to get it to 7.00 but not really likely. I am also working on 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8. I may have bit off more than I can chew as I still need the big boys and they tend to be expensive.

Ralph

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

well i had to send nearly half of a sub back to psa as half were cracked when i opened the registered mail package. needless to say they left psa in that cracked condition as the package was not damaged in anyway. psa, paid for shipping and reholdering.

but i can see that someone could have gotten slabs straight from psa with cracks. the thing is if you dont catch them soon enough then psa wont be as quick to reholder for free.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's