Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1955 D,1956 D,1957,1962 D Jefferson Nickels...some recent finds.Update grades are in...

I'm sending these in for grade, I will post the results when I receive them.....opinions welcomed !

1955 D
imageimage

1956 D
imageimage

imageimage

1962 D #1
imageimage

1962 D #2
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be a spoil-sport, but I would save my money. I think the coins either don't have enough lustre or they have too many marks. I'm no step expert, but they all look to have limitations.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to be a spoil-sport, but I would save my money. I think the coins either don't have enough lustre or they have too many marks. I'm no step expert, but they all look to have limitations. >>

I'd take a chance on the 55-D, 56-D, and 57-D.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to be a spoil-sport, but I would save my money. I think the coins either don't have enough lustre or they have too many marks. I'm no step expert, but they all look to have limitations. >>

• Options
    I'm with DennisH, they look to be maybe MS-63 kind of coins and most likely not FS. I hope you do better if they are submitted.
    Can't never Could!
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why send common everyday coins in for grades?

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'd take a chance on the 55-D, 56-D, and 57-D. >>

That's funny, I was going to tell him not to submit those three and to send in the two 1962-D coins. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    no FS on any

I did not bother looking gradewise, though the 62s might be something, never did look to
    see what the grades were at on those or whats the money piece.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Great finds! I'd take them all! I agree with seanq, send in those 62-Ds. If you hit both of them, I want one!

Good luck
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool good luck hope you get some good ones. image

Just a guess
    MS-64
    MS-65
    MS-63
    MS-65 Maybe FS
    MS-65

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    My opinion is that those coins are great for a Dansco. I have no interest in graded Jeffersons unless they are gem or better and I don't see any gems in this lot.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    Every one of your coins was struck with full steps and is a scarce date with steps, which means they are unusual and NOT everyday pocket change. The problem is that each one has a minor or major tick right on the steps (the 55D has 2 major ticks, the 56D has one major tick, the 57 has a few minor ticks and the 62Ds each have one major tick). You will not get any of these to grade full steps. I would put them into an album and wait until people care about "very nearly full steps". Don't waste your money sending these in.
  • Options
    SUMORADA,

Let me take one more short at this. The 1962-Ds are tough coins. Look at the Pops and you will see only one graded FS in MS65. So, finding a gem or better will be a tough order. There are 39 MS64s, which is not a bad grade considering. With me being a slight risk taker, sending in both 62-Ds, you may set one of them up to get an FS designation? My opinion, it's worth a shot! If you decide not to send them in, let me know and I'll make an offer for them.

Dowgie
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I don't think any of those are for sure lock FS, but all it takes is for one of them to come back FS for your submission to pay off. My guess is that there will be no FS coins if submitted but I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>SUMORADA,

Let me take one more short at this. The 1962-Ds are tough coins. Look at the Pops and you will see only one graded FS in MS65. So, finding a gem or better will be a tough order. There are 39 MS64s, which is not a bad grade considering. With me being a slight risk taker, sending in both 62-Ds, you may set one of them up to get an FS designation? My opinion, it's worth a shot! If you decide not to send them in, let me know and I'll make an offer for them.

Dowgie >>

answer me this: whats the sense in getting the FS on a coin thats not FS, to stick the unknowing with junk?

with your eye you of all people should know they are not FS

people need to stop trying to get designations on unworthy pieces-look at the mess the one mark bought caused (if I remember was a 63-D)

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'd take a chance on the 55-D, 56-D, and 57-D. >>

That's funny, I was going to tell him not to submit those three and to send in the two 1962-D coins. image

Sean Reynolds >>

That is funny. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    based solely on the pictures coins such as these are the main reason why i just don't pay attention to MS Jefferson Nickels anymore. as others have said, i'd save my money because they'll either grade low and/or the step detail isn't good enough or has too, too many contacts and bridges. that isn't to say none of the coins will grade MS6X Full Steps, but ask yourself this-----if you were assembling a Set would you want these coins in it or just the insert?? i wouldn't want the coins and i certainly wouldn't pay for the insert.
  • Options
    answer me this: whats the sense in getting the FS on a coin thats not FS, to stick the unknowing with junk?

people need to stop trying to get designations on unworthy pieces-look at the mess the one mark bought caused (if I remember was a 63-D)

in my haste to reply i overlooked this comment..........................i think it's worthy of reading, pure POTD material, especially what i underlined.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SUMORADA steps to his 5 coins appear at the bottom. They all have that similar missing area of steps under the 2nd pillar and somewhat weakness under the 3rd. Keets has said what I would have to say but PCGS has certified a few coins with similar detail.
    I wouldn't mind seeing the 62-Ds. And as I have said many times, the grade condition is usually sacrified and more attention is given to the strike, luster and possible toning. The steps for the 1960 to 1967 must reach a level of overall definition before a FS designation IMO.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd give the 62d's a try, I think theres only 38 or so in 64FS with 2 better.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Where does one find nickels with nice steps like these? BU rolls? Mint Sets?

All of the Mint Sets I've checked have had crappy steps!

Thanks

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    Where does one find nickels with nice steps like these? BU rolls? Mint Sets?

The 55 D and 56 D came from mint sets, the others were in either Fed or OBW rolls....
  • Options
    Roll's lots of rolls you can tell by the 1st 5 or 10 coins if it going to be a good roll. image

Here is a 1964 I sent in and did not get FS.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    My opinion;
    The first one may get MS65, but likely MS64. The rest are all MS64 or less non-full step coins. Save yourself some $ and enjoy the coins for what they are.
  • Options
    Grades are in......here ya go !

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    The one will make it all more than worthwhile eh?

Way to go goldsmith!
  • Options
    Not to be overly harsh but NGC wasn't tough on the coins, most of them just weren't that nice.

I'm frankly stunned that one of the two 1962-D coins pictured went 66FS, I liked them better than the others in your original post but figured them as liner 64FS/65 candidates. From your pictures there were way too many hits on the cheek, hair, and especially above the building on the reverse for either coin to earn a 66 grade.

Then again, you and NGC are the only ones in this thread who have seen the coins in hand, so who am I to say if the grade was honestly deserved. Congrats on the score.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    My standards are a little higher in what I'd expect for a MS66 grade. Marks/nicks are suppose to move out away from the focal areas into the fields as the grade gets higher until those are gone for a MS67.

Leo

• Options
    SUMORADA,

Nice hit on the 62-D! You know, everyone has there own opinion on where a coin is FS or not and where a coin is MS65 or MS66, you hit right on both aspects!
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    In the raw photos, me thinks the lighting angle of Sumorada's pics have made light glisten off minor nicks or planchet flaws and also made the color look dead.

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    Al21Al21 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Wow, congrats on the score. It's a pop 1 with none better.

Successful BST transactions with WTCG, NH48400, evil empire,
    meltdown, timrutnat, bumanchu, 2ndCharter, rpw, AgBlox, indiananationals, yellowkid, RGJohn, fishteeth, rkfish, Ponyexpress8, kalshacon, Tdec1000, Coinlieutenant, SamByrd, Coppercolor
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Shoot, Now that was nice!!!!imageimage
  • Options
    a few questions for the OP..........................

1. why did you choose NGC??
    2. if you were to send the coin to PCGS do you believe it would cross??
    3. do you consider yourself a "Collector" when you search rolls/Mint Sets or are you only trying to find coins to re-sell?? to that end, do you consider yourself to be a dealer??
    3. what grade do you think the 1962-D is??
    4. considering the 1962-D, if it were a coin you saw at auction or for sale at a show for the attendant price, would you pay that price?? if not, why not??
  • Options
    a few questions for the OP..........................

!. 1. why did you choose NGC??

I live 25 min. from them and I have a dealer account there....

2.if you were to send the coin to PCGS do you believe it would cross??[/i}

I'm not a grader, but my opinion is it would go 65 FS at pcgs......

3.do you consider yourself a "Collector" when you search rolls/Mint Sets or are you only trying to find coins to re-sell?? to that end, do you consider yourself to be a dealer??

I do not collect Nickels,Dimes,Quaters,Halves or Dollars....I do like Lincolns though, so yes I do look for coins to re-sell, as to do I consider myself a dealer....yes I guess so but only out of necessity, I am a goldsmith (35 years), the Jewelry business has been in the dumpster for a couple years now, so I decided to learn as much as I possibly could about the coin business back in 2006,

and as several folks here know I got very lucky with the 07 GW smoothies......with that I had time to really focus on coins, and over time with the help of many folks on these boards yourself included, and paying grading fees for coins that never should have been submitted, I have learned the little that I know.

3. what grade do you think the 1962-D is??

IMO it is a MS65FS.

4. considering the 1962-D, if it were a coin you saw at auction or for sale at a show for the attendant price, would you pay that price?? if not, why not??

Easy answer....NO because I do not collect these, No because I could not afford it !

Keets,
    Great questions , to the point as you always do, I don't mind being grilled but every now and then flip me over.......image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>answer me this: whats the sense in getting the FS on a coin thats not FS, to stick the unknowing with junk?

MANOFCOINS

First, an uneducated person buying FS coins would not typically buy an MS66FS Pop 1 NGC coin, especially one as tough as this one to find even close to being nice.

Second, you are looking at a photo of a coin and making these comments. We can not see all the details from one angle. Coin in hand is the only true way to tell for sure. Just because you do not see solid, uninterrupted, perfect lines in the picture does not mean they are not there. Step lines can be very weak, but still be there.

The 1962-D with great strike and steps is worth a premium, this is where the market takes over to see just how big that is! Don't pass judgment in an area you obviously are not proficient.
  • Options

Just for kicks, here are the total results from that submission........

COIN LIST
    Coins for NGC invoice number 3463701 Line
    Item Year Mint
    Mark Variety Denom. Grade Comments NCS
    Line Item
    001 1976 D 5C MS 65
    002 1970 D 5C MS 65
    003 1969 S 5C PF 67 CAMEO
    004 1968 S 5C MS 65
    005 1968 S 5C MS 66
    006 1970 S 5C MS 66 6FS
    007 1973 5C MS 66 5FS
    008 1964 D 5C MS 65 5FS
    009 1964 D 5C MS 66
    010 1962 D 5C MS 66
    011 1962 D 5C MS 66 5FS
    012 1962 D 5C MS 65
    013 1963 5C MS 66
    014 1963 5C MS 66
    015 1960 D 5C MS 66
    016 1960 D 5C MS 66
    017 1960 5C MS 65
    018 1960 5C MS 64
    019 1960 5C MS 66
    020 1960 5C MS 66
    021 1960 5C MS 64
    022 1958 D 5C MS 66 5FS
    023 1958 D 5C MS 65 5FS
    024 1958 D 5C MS 66 5FS
    025 1958 D 5C MS 65 5FS
    026 1957 5C MS 65
    027 1957 5C MS 64 5FS
    028 1957 5C MS 65
    029 1956 D 5C MS 65
    030 1955 D 5C MS 65
    031 1955 D 5C MS 64
    032 1968 D 1C MS 66 RD
    033 1968 S 1C MS 66 RD
  • Options
    MANOFCOINS,

I stand corrected and apologize. I've been following the thread, but did not check the references.

Now for pontiacinf......what say'eth you on this one? Shall we keep the debate going?
  • Options
    I don't mind being grilled but every now and then flip me over

• Options
    Here's an update on the sale of Sumorada's 1962-D NGC MS 66 5FS Jeff.

Very nice price!

Leo

• Options
    He did good. I thought it would pull more $$$ for a pop 1/0 but a good price. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Badimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options

<< <i>Here's an update on the sale of Sumorada's 1962-D NGC MS 66 5FS Jeff.

Very nice price!

Leo >>

Good grief! Not bad for a coin that some folks here told you to spend rather than submit.

Sean Reynolds

• Options

<< <i>1962 D #2
    imageimage
    image >>

The 1962-D that NGC graded MS66 5FS grades MS64 in my opinion. How did they overlook the large hit on the cheek along with all the chatter marks?

I'll hold my comments about the 1955-D until after it's sale.

Leo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file