Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dateless 1916 standing lib quarter #4 and survival rate discussion

Fourth one found since last march!Again, in the lot of 40. I think I will be retiring soon though, as these lots are getting much more competetive, therefore affecting the risk/reward ratio!
After I found the first one, I thought I was just lucky, and that would be the last I ever found. But after the 3rd and 4th, I am more convinced that there are a lot of these still undiscovered! In my opinon, I still think they are very rare comparitive to other low mintage keys(like the 16-d dime) in lower grades. However, the rate of "undiscovered raw" to "discovered TPG certified" of the dateless 16 I think is really high in comparison. Looking back at the Heritage archives in the last 20 years; you will see that there are only 3 certified examples in the PR1-FR2 grade range. ONLY 3 in 20 YEARS! And just a couple more that graded AG. Compare that with the number of low grade 16-d mercs or 77 indian cents of which there are many hundreds of sold in the archives! There just ARENT many dateless 16s in plastic, period. Folks are now starting to understand how to find them, and hopefully it will continue on. This is the best way for someone to be able to complete an SLQ set without taking out a second on their mortgage imho.

Feel free to chime in with opinions about the rarity of lower grade 1916 slqs in comparison to other keys.

Opinions?
All coins kept in safety deposit box.

Comments

• Options
    How does one tell a dateless 1916 SLQ from a dateless 1917 SLQ?
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an old thread and a lot of pictures are missing, but the discussion hits on the ways to discriminate between the two. I'd check photos from Heritage Auctions of 1916s and 1917s to figure out what is being discussed in the posts. I hope this helps. I don't collect Standing Liberty quarters.

Discussion on telling a 1916 from a 1917 Type I
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it means there's a limited number of people that know how to tell.
    A low grade 16-D merc or 1877 is different since everyone can ID them.
    Ed
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    i always check the dateless slq's for 16's... never found a single one. i'm blown away that you've found FOUR. how many would you guess you've gone through? if i remember right they're worth around $800 in that shape.. big congrats. knowledge is everything.

and yeah i'm sure there are plenty of them out there sitting in bullion bags or whatever
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure another winner...nice work Johnny. image
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The 1916s were released mixed with 1917s in January 1917. It is reasonable that many were heavily circulated, and now available as dateless coins.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your 4th find !!

I wish I knew then [ 1960's ]
    what I know now !! I dread to
    think of how many dateless
    Type One's I 've spent over the
    years because I didn't know the
    pick-up markers.

I saw a side by side comparison
    of the 1916 & 1917 Ty 1's - in a
    flash overlay sequence. I wish I had
    kept that Thread in "my favorites".

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    o,i like this coin
    i like chinese coin.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw a side by side comparison
    of the 1916 & 1917 Ty 1's - in a
    flash overlay sequence. I wish I had
    kept that Thread in "my favorites". >>

I think that this may be the thread that you mean. Alltheabove76 did a really cool 1916-to-1917 morph, which I bookmarked for future reference.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on another extremely tough find!
    I've been looking for one myself ever since learning the diagnostics here on the boards.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Congrats - when I was a kid went thru countless rolls of quarters and never found a dateless 16.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat discovery!!! What are low-grade dateless 1916 SLQ's selling for these days?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭
    When I was in second grade, we had hot lunch once per month. Hot dogs as I recall. My mom had given me 35c for lunch and to my consternation, the 25c was a dateless SLQ. In my mind, it had to be a 1916 so I went without any lunch that day. Never did find out if it was a 1916 cuz it was way before the internet!
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Using the mintages, there are 168 1917 Type 1 quarters (P mint) for every 1916.
    If you factor in the number of 1916's that were pulled out of circulation by collectors
    before they wore down to the dateless level, the actual ratio is probably more like
    400 to 1. If you are comparing all dateless SLQ, not just the 1917 Type 1, you might
    expect to look through as many as 10,000 dateless quarters before you found a

Happy hunting.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Using the mintages, there are 168 1917 Type 1 quarters (P mint) for every 1916.
    If you factor in the number of 1916's that were pulled out of circulation by collectors
    before they wore down to the dateless level, the actual ratio is probably more like
    400 to 1. If you are comparing all dateless SLQ, not just the 1917 Type 1, you might
    expect to look through as many as 10,000 dateless quarters before you found a

Happy hunting. >>

Ebay makes going through that many easy. That said it is a 4 figure coin
  • Options

<< <i>Ebay makes going through that many easy. That said it is a 4 figure coin >>

I agree with that. The lots I go through are online, so I never actually touch the coins. It takes me about 20 seconds to go through 40, and I would estimate that I have gone through 30-40 thousand this way over the last year to find these 4.

<< <i>What are low-grade dateless 1916 SLQ's selling for these days? >>

This has detail similar to my ANACS FR2 examples. I have had 2 in the past, and they both sold on ebay BIN for around $1,200 within 2 days of posting. I may have been able to get more if I held out longer. My third example, the ANACS PO1 I traded to an equivalent of around $800+ in value to another forum member.

This particular example should grade FR2 imo, though I am a tad concerned of a details grade due to the reverse rim bump. It would definitely bag on a higher graded coin, but on coins of this low of grade, TPGs are usually a lot more lenient towards minor damage, so it may be considered part of circulation and not damage. Thoughts?
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some strange reason....................youare my new hero johnny54321!
  • Options
    Great thread here. I have a dateless SLQ that me grandfather gave me years ago that he found in his couch. If i can find the darned thing I will take another look at it. If nothing else it has great sentimental value
  • Options
    Just got back from ANACS, graded problem free FR02

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file