Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What is the hardest post war card to find centered?

Someone in the "checklist" thread mentioned this briefly and wanted to get every ones take. What post war card is the hardest to find centered. A couple come to mind without even thinking about it - 1979 Topps Ozzie Smith and 1986-87 Fleer Dominique Wilkens.

What else.

Shane

Comments

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    1963 Fleer Lance Alworth

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Isn't there a 1988 Minor League Ken Griffey Jr. card that is 99% of the time found off-centered?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    76 brett, 78 ryan

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • 69 Brock
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • 1995 Bowman's Best refractors
    Text tradepage, including Heritage Chromes, SPs, and inserts - www.freewebs.com/heritagetrade

Photobucket - http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z142/heritagetrade/For Trade/
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1961 Topps Willie Mays #150
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I think I said that about the 1969 Basketball checklist. I agree with 76 Brett but another underrated one is a 73 Yastrzemski.
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    1960 fleer jim woodard beats all of those imo
  • '71 Munson is pretty tough too
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    '78 Eddie Murray rookie

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're talking all sports, I'd say the 1958 Topps Bobby Hull rookie card is the toughest to find centered.

I'd put the 1963 Fleer Lance Alworth rookie at #2.

Steve
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    1959 Bob Gibson or 1961 Maris

"Molon Labe"

• cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Probably not as tough as some of these but the '61 Topps Roy Campanella has been a royal PITA to find centered. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    1970 Topps Basketball #6, Assist Leaders - Very difficult to find centered.

------
    stupid print dots

• AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Of course the 84 Donruss Joe Carter
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1960 fleer jim woodard beats all of those imo >>

I'll second that.

• the best one I have found in 20 years, bought it raw and submitted it. was surprised it came back a 7, figured it a 6 because of the centering .

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    1959 Billy Pierce All Star
  • don't forget the 1972 Topps # 582 Expos team card. made off center intentionally by Topps to pizz off the Canadians. lol

I don't know about everyone else but I have found when looking for a tough card to find centered. I always find one perfectly centered
    but beat to death or taped to the wall or inside an album, or if it is a checklist it is always marked on usually just 1 side and only 2 or 3 little boxes but none the less marked on.
  • 1976 topps johnny briggs
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!

<< <i>

<< <i>1960 fleer jim woodard beats all of those imo >>

I'll second that.

image >>

The Paul Lowe 1960 Fleer card is also near-impossible to find centered.

Steve
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    61 Topps Jim Gentile.
    76 Brett is very tough.
    75 Minis in general, especially Tommy Davis; no PSA 9s or 10s.
  • AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    One thing to mention to even make matters worse for the 76 Brett that some mentioned is the print marks that are on alot of them also
  • 69 Brock +1, also 72 Blue In Action and 73 Del Unser
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

1971 Claude Raymond, Al Weis, many other tough high numbers
    1972 Aaron in action, Foli in action, a bunch of the in action cards are tough
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    A Namath rookie is hard to find centered without some sort of tilt to it. A Bob Gibson rookie is always nice to find centered, as it usually is not. Those two come to mind for me.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    1954 Wilson Franks -- all of them
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me that there are many 1961 Topps baseball that are hard to find centered.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just picked this up raw for $10. Will probably sub with hopes of 7.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from those already listed, 1972 Paul Schaal IA. '69 Kekich and Satriano are also tough. Also, try finding a 1973T #1 HR leaders card 55-45 centered front and back. I think it's impossible.
  • 1962 topps george witt
    1960 topps curt simmons
    1964 topps orioles team
    1969 topps tom satriano
    1957 topps max surkont
    1955 topps jim hegan
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • The '54 Banks rookie and '55 Clemente rookies have weird centering to begin with - the logos and borders don't line up with the cropping on the rest of the card.
    Text tradepage, including Heritage Chromes, SPs, and inserts - www.freewebs.com/heritagetrade

Photobucket - http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z142/heritagetrade/For Trade/
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    1979 Topps/OPC Mike Bossy # 161
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Shane

I can't pick a specific card - but I've been collecting 63F BB since Dec 03 - and I can't believe how hard it is to find every card well centered - and I'm talking about 66 cards!
    Mike
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Besides the ones already mentioned, the 1966 Topps Baseball - Lou Klimchock
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    '52 Topps Gil Hodges is a toughie T to B. Mine is also bad L to R but most have little to no border on the bottom. Doug

• cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Football:

'60 Topps Gary Glick
    '63 Fleer Parilli
  • I'm suprised no one jumped in with the perverbial Stephen Strasburg Superfractor joke =)

I'll add two more, someone may have mentioned one already. The Gretzky OPC Rookie is very difficult. As is the 1955 Topps AA Frank Sinkwich.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    1977 o0c Bobby Bonds
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • 1971-72 John Block
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

One that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet is the 1952 Topps Eddie Mathews.

Steve
  • 1973 Topps Del Unser
    My favorite ball players throughout the years: Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Ellis Burks, Lance Berkman
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    1963 Pete Rose rookie
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    '68 OPC Bernie Parent. Centering is always brutal.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    1983 Jogo Warren Moon or 1971 Barrett Jack Nicklous. I've never seen either close to centered
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • 1978 Topps Bob Watson
  • 1958 Bill Mazeroski
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....