Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the non-sample slabs are auctioning at above $300 now!!! Holy Cow!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully there will be a real market for these in 10 or 15 years.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those slabs sure have gotten popular with collectors. I'm hanging onto the only one I have left.
    I sold a couple common date MS63 morgans a couple years back, but the premiums have really taken off lately.
    I blame Drunner for all this hype. image
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's nutty. I have a 1963-D MS64 10c Old Green Sample with the Dark Green and Gold Reverse. I paid $10 out of a dealers box of junk slabs at a show.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's nutty. I have a 1963-D MS64 10c Old Green Sample with the Dark Green and Gold Reverse. I paid $10 out of a dealers box of junk slabs at a show. >>

Put it on the Bayyyyyyyyyyyyyy and heptadecyl-tupple your INVESTMENT!!!!image

<< <i>I bailed at about $105.

Link >>

I watched at $170.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I understand the premiums on some of the old holder numismatic stuff, but this is a bit silly.
    This is a 1964 dime that's worth little more than junk silver money out of the holder.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    is this a tough coin or a low pop? Whats the premium for? i'm totally lost.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

• << <i>Hopefully there will be a real market for these in 10 or 15 years. >>

Why did you buy some?

<< <i>

<< <i>Hopefully there will be a real market for these in 10 or 15 years. >>

Why did you buy some? >>

No. The only Sample Slabs I have were freebies from coin shows.

I do have an IKE in a Doily Slab though.

Basically, my question is based on the general forum hype surrounding some of these slab labels and sample slabs and the market, IMO, is not a REAL market but a "perceived" market based upon forum interaction.

In other words, folks might be paying $167 for something that in 10 years will be worth $10 since coin dealers don't seem to care one way or another and the coin dealers, IMO, participate in the real market.

If there is a real market in 10 or 15 years and I'm still around, I should be able to sell my IKE to pay for a new "wheel chair". image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
    As an aside, I do think that the Sample Slabs have a special value in that these WERE given out as freebies to promote whatever slabbing business was producing them.

Getting a free silver dime, even if it was 1964-D, was pretty cool. Especially since this stuff didn't start showing up until the late 80's when silver was a tangible commodity! image

The name is LEE!

<< <i>is this a tough coin or a low pop? Whats the premium for? i'm totally lost. >>

It is a scarce holder with a unique and distinctive insert. It is a part of the evolution of the PCGS holder and as such it has a measure of value to some collectors. The coin quality distribution tends to be about the same as it is today, some nice, some real nice, some dreck, some so so stuff. Then again I see/hear the same chit about toners as in "I will never pay a premium for color yada, yada, yada, etc. and so on and so forth." To each their own. Collect what you like and like what you collect.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why did you buy some? >>

No. The only Sample Slabs I have were freebies from coin shows.

I do have an IKE in a Doily Slab though.

Basically, my question is based on the general forum hype surrounding some of these slab labels and sample slabs and the market, IMO, is not a REAL market but a "perceived" market based upon forum interaction.

In other words, folks might be paying $167 for something that in 10 years will be worth $10 since coin dealers don't seem to care one way or another and the coin dealers, IMO, participate in the real market.

If there is a real market in 10 or 15 years and I'm still around, I should be able to sell my IKE to pay for a new "wheel chair". image >>

You can buy two wheel chairs delivered for that $167.50 unless your are one that needs a Porsche model. Sell yer Ike now, buy the chair and put the rest in your IRA.image
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

there is a good market now, these are more likely to go out of fashion the futher in IMO
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I thought it was a sample doily label; then I realized it was only a sample Roosevelt dime... image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I've got oneimage

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    picked up my one and only doily, a 1960 large date proof 64RD for fifteen dollars at the local BM.

good deal yes?
  • MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭

<< <i>I've got oneimage

image >>

I'll give you $300 for the slab. And $20 for the coin - that thing weighs down the slab! Second thought, just keep the coin and I'll take the slab. Man's gotta have his priorities in order, I always say.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • How long before we see slabs getting graded and put in slabs?
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    You know I used to think Doilies were just a passing whim, and a perennial favorite among those who like numismaitc curiosities. The longer I maintain the doily census, the more it dawns on me that there are a very limited supply of these holders. Every month that passes I add less and less doilies to the census, and I run into many of the same coins over and over. I'm sure some of this is just coins cycling among forum members, but they are definately starting to dry up. I forsee a day when the only doilies appearing on the market are tagged and identified, or appearing in old collections. Just some observations.

P.S I don't really have an alterior motive behind doing the census. I only own two. Some people have suggested that I run the census to quietly increase the value of the holders I have, like I have some huge hoard...such is not the case. Drunner on the other hand...HOARDER!!! image That's for you good buddy!
    Maybe you could come up with a new BDC sticker signifying that it is Billet7 Doily Census approved.image

<< <i>How long before we see slabs getting graded and put in slabs? >>

Not sure why one would do that. Why would anyone care if a rattler is a 65 or 66 as long as you can see the coin?

<< <i>I've got oneimage >>

Me does too!!

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad one of the 1913 liberty nickels is not in a doily....
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok you 'at work PCGS Forum browser types' . . . I have now read this thread (at home!) and am prepared to offer paltry defense where needed.

I merely try to represent all of us here on the Forum from my exalted position of "PCGS Forum Doily Historian". I am merely sacrificing myself and my meager funds in an altruistic fashion in order to preserve the fleeting history of the Doily Holder. Trust me, my hoarding mentality is purely meant for the preservation of history and I would do whatever is necessary to support all of you by taking the Doilies off your hands and including them in this last vestige of holder history, safe from the prying hands of crack-out artists and unappreciative 'dreck-collectors' who would not save them intact for future generations. Oh . . .the sacrifice I am making in the name of the Forums and the bullet I am taking for all of you! To think I am paying these premiums (oh, and the recent stuff is just two guys going nuts. . look at the eBay records . . and neither one is me) in order to help out my fellow man. Oh . . . the humanity of it all !!!!!!!!!!

Tom . . I am sooooo envious. I thought I had the only $20 Lib and now you wreck an otherwise perfect day by displaying that one. Uh . . . .wanna sell it???

Brian. Guilty as charged. Crap, here I am just a schmucky plastic collector (to most here) and I have become my own worst Doily enemy.

The sample represents just standard Doily Sample pricing, then two guys jumped in (they have been the same two in the last several nuclear eBay Doily prices) and kicked it up $55. I still think the samples are $90 coins at best and as Oreville has mentioned, rather common as far as Doilies go. If two guys want to go at each other, I don't think it really translates to a new horizon for the Doily Market.

After all . . . I only collect them for purely educational purposes, and to have enough to stock the shelves in the Smithsonian's "Doily Wing".

Post away, you Doily mavens (or in the words of 'Laura'----'wannabes'). Not only can I be the Doily Martyr for the Forums, but I can also take the slings and arrows of abuse from those who question the collecting acumen of someone who (perhaps idiotically) chooses to 'collect the plastic and not the coin'.

Oh, and to the underbidder guy from last night . . . you actually 'won' when you lost !!!

Drunner
    (Oh . . look at the Census under 'Large Cents'when Simon gets it up . . . 9142518 1853 MS64BN---Yippeeeeee!!!!! That one was today!)
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    wait wait wait wait wait... so people are paying a premium because it's in a more rare PCGS holder than another comparable coin in a different, more common PCGS holder? This can't be true, can it?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I have 3 doily samples which I got from my dear friend sherif sample, Ill never sell em either

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>wait wait wait wait wait... so people are paying a premium because it's in a more rare PCGS holder than another comparable coin in a different, more common PCGS holder? This can't be true, can it? >>

yes, there are {INSERT MONIKER HERE} that collect plastic

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

<< <i>wait wait wait wait wait... so people are paying a premium because it's in a more rare PCGS holder than another comparable coin in a different, more common PCGS holder? This can't be true, can it? >>

That would NEVAH happen. If it fills a hole in your set, that's a plus. Then again if I owned a Chevy Corvette, I'd pay more attention to the ones I see on the streets and roads. I would guess that those who own a doily or 2 or more probably pay a little more attention to them. Out of the 10's of thousands of coin nerds out there most probably don't own a doily, have never seen one or even know what they are.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been collecting these doily slabs probably as long as anyone here. It certainly not make me more of an expert than anyone else. However, it does give me some historical perspective.

My reaction to this sample slab selling at this price of $167.50 was to call HRH and tell him to forget about selling his beloved $10 Liberty set to buy his beach house but instead to sell his duffel bag of PCGS doily sample slabs and sell them all which might just be enough to buy his dream beach house! LOL.

Now, in all seriousness, I do not believe that $167.50 is the going price on this sample slab. Probably closer to $100 give or take a little. But keep in mind that if a collector wants just one for his collection, sometimes it is worth an extra $25, $50, $100 just to buy just the one he needs and get back to work making much more than that in a single day at work, So to that buyer, his time is more precious than spending an extra $67.50.

We all go through this at various levels in life in addition to doing this in coin collecting. Some of us buy (for example) pre-cooked chickens at $5 or $6 a pound because we don't have the time to cook it at home and others will smirk at his overpaying when he could have bought it for $1 or less a pound and then cook it ourselves.

That being said, we are beginning to see the maturation of the doily slab market where prices will soon begin to stabilize at these higher levels. Hopefully, no one is buying at these levels thinking that they can make a quick buck.

We have been through this before about 4-5 years ago when I privately lectured Cameron Kiefer (sample sheriff) for overdoing his excited buying of any and all PCGS sample slab regardless of the cost. I explained to him that he was driving the prices beyond sustainable levels. He resisted my advice a little but understood my point of view. When Cameron had to scale back his sample slab buying, due to his new (at the time) job with ICG, the prices of the PCGS sample slab COLLAPSED by over 50%. It was only about 2 years ago that the prices started coming back and now prices have skyrocketed once again. But remember that we have seen this before!

Keep in mind that we want to avoid prices escalating too fast or they will once again cause a demand destruction of the PCGS doily slab market. Nice and slow is much better for everyone.

Just some thoughts here.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was waiting for Oreville and his perspective. Well put from the man who has been there before. I think everything is right there in his post.

Drunner
    (Contemplative but gracious Doily Hoarder)

<< <i>I have been collecting these doily slabs probably as long as anyone here. It certainly not make me more of an expert than anyone else. However, it does give me some historical perspective.

My reaction to this sample slab selling at this price of $167.50 was to call HRH and tell him to forget about selling his beloved $10 Liberty set to buy his beach house but instead to sell his duffel bag of PCGS doily sample slabs and sell them all which might just be enough to buy his dream beach house! LOL.

Now, in all seriousness, I do not believe that $167.50 is the going price on this sample slab. Probably closer to $100 give or take a little. But keep in mind that if a collector wants just one for his collection, sometimes it is worth an extra $25, $50, $100 just to buy just the one he needs and get back to work making much more than that in a single day at work, So to that buyer, his time is more precious than spending an extra $67.50.

We all go through this at various levels in life in addition to doing this in coin collecting. Some of us buy (for example) pre-cooked chickens at $5 or $6 a pound because we don't have the time to cook it at home and others will smirk at his overpaying when he could have bought it for $1 or less a pound and then cook it ourselves.

That being said, we are beginning to see the maturation of the doily slab market where prices will soon begin to stabilize at these higher levels. Hopefully, no one is buying at these levels thinking that they can make a quick buck.

We have been through this before about 4-5 years ago when I privately lectured Cameron Kiefer (sample sheriff) for overdoing his excited buying of any and all PCGS sample slab regardless of the cost. I explained to him that he was driving the prices beyond sustainable levels. He resisted my advice a little but understood my point of view. When Cameron had to scale back his sample slab buying, due to his new (at the time) job with ICG, the prices of the PCGS sample slab COLLAPSED by over 50%. It was only about 2 years ago that the prices started coming back and now prices have skyrocketed once again. But remember that we have seen this before!

Keep in mind that we want to avoid prices escalating too fast or they will once again cause a demand destruction of the PCGS doily slab market. Nice and slow is much better for everyone.

Just some thoughts here. >>

Or perhaps one or two or more individuals have simply contracted "doily fever."image
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    There was an 1885 64pl doily that just sold on ebay. It went for over $400!!! Yes, over $400!!!! I really wanted that coin, but it was out of the range where I was willing to shell out that much cash for the doily. I still am collecting them, but it looks like the market for them continues to rise. I used to be able to get them for about a $50 premium. No more of that, however.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭
    As usual, I think Oreville is right on in his analysis that we're seeing a "maturation" in the doily market at somewhat higher prices. There is a decent-sized group of us who lurk not far back from the "frothy" prices to buy these pieces that come up. I'm not a buyer of a doily sample at $167.50, but I probably am up to about $120. And I'm sure Jeff, and others are there at premium price ranges as well.

It's a sign of a reasonably healthy market to me. There's some good froth in a few auctions to bring a little speculative attention to the doilies, there's a fair number of folks who just want one for their collection, and there's a decent crowd of accumulators just behind the "crazy" prices to provide support at a solid price premium. While prices may flatten, I don't see a crash in doily pricing with a market structured like this.
    I can only imagine what a 93-s Morgan in a doily might bring!!
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSGS
    Professional Slab Grading Service
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

<< <i>PSGS
    Professional Slab Grading Service >>

The condition of the doilies and other double holders would put most of the newer ones to shame.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file