Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

California Gold ?

I bought this recently and have no reason to think it a fake other than the price i got it for , other coins that came with it have all checked out genuine and on looking i do see this one described in the red book.I have enough gold around in coin form to clearly see this does look like gold,it's too small to get a feel for weight ...it's .5 of a gram on the scale.Im possible to photograph with my camera , ive tried , i took these with a microscope.My question is the obvious one , is it genuine ? Any thoughts appreciated , explained reasons either way even more.Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they don't have the denomination on the reverse,
    either saying "Half Dollar" or "1/2 Dollar", for example,
    they are replicas......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the fakes I've seen on ebay and other auction sites. Here's a fake:
    imageimage

The only real one I could find looks like this:

imageimage
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Thanks guys , i really do appreciate the time taken to set me straight on these , i should have known but the detail involved had me wondering.Thanks again guys image
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup -that's a fake.
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    Thanks , and thanks again Fred & Steve , it's disappointing of course but no biggy , it came in a group of coins i'd bought as a lot. Everything else checks out fine. It's only disappointing in that wouldn't it have been a great find on a rainy Pa afternoon kinda way.
  • Options

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    Thanks CalGoldDiver image I'll bookmark that
  • Options
    http://www.calgoldcoin.com/

also

calgoldonline.com

enjoy.

Clint

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file