Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Should anyone Sell altered items? Even when marked as such?

I'm troubled by the concept of this, simply because of what many unscrupulous buyers/resellers will do with them. I feel the same way about reselling empty wrappers, but I've discussed that to death. I'm watching an auction now for a card that is clearly-marked as altered, yet that isn't blatantly so if you check the picture.

It's going to go for about $.50 on the dollar it appears, so maybe someone is going to buy it on the cheap for their raw collection and "live with the secret", but I just KNOW it's going to get resold without that caveat.
----------------------
Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

Comments

• byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm troubled by the concept of this, simply because of what many unscrupulous buyers/resellers will do with them. I feel the same way about reselling empty wrappers, but I've discussed that to death. I'm watching an auction now for a card that is clearly-marked as altered, yet that isn't blatantly so if you check the picture.

It's going to go for about $.50 on the dollar it appears, so maybe someone is going to buy it on the cheap for their raw collection and "live with the secret", but I just KNOW it's going to get resold without that caveat. >>

I think as a seller you do what you can to not hide "the secret" and not worry about what happens after that as it's out of your hands. Basically any card you sell could be used in an unintended manner if you run into someone without ethics.
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    I think if you know it has been altered, you can sell it as long as you state it has been altered. If someone wants the card, even if altered, than it is their choice.
    PackManInNC
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Thanks to those who posted. I'm not saying my opinion is correct by any means, so I wanted to see how others felt. That's also why I didn't post any auction info.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I definitely agree with you bking regarding your reservations and I personally would not sell it, but I have no problem if someone clearly states it in the description and sells it. Maybe the seller really needs the money and figures someone could use it as a filler. Whatever his reason, he is entitled to sell it as long as he is forthcoming in the listing.

I do believe that reselling empty wrappers should not be allowed. You are not making a lot of money on them and we all know a majority of them end up in the wrong hands. image

If there truely are legitimate collectors out there that want empty wrappers, there is no reason to buy 36 of them.

Empty boxes are harder as legitimate collectors, yours truly included, buy them to either replace ones they have in poor condition, use them to store legitimate packs, or just to display.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I noticed PWCC has ALOT of nice "altered" stuff this week. Are you referring to one of his offerings?
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with altered cards IMO -- just do your part and disclose it to the buyer.

As for wrappers, just mark the inside with a big black "X" before selling/giving away.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Or stamping "COUNTERFEIT" or "REPRINT" on them?
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Or stamping "COUNTERFEIT" or "REPRINT" on them? >>

or "water damaged"
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

If an original card was restored in some way or another then just disclose it to the buyer.

Counterfeit cards shouldn't be produced by anybody.
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i>

If an original card was restored in some way or another then just disclose it to the buyer.

Counterfeit cards shouldn't be produced by anybody. >>

I usually wouldn't respond to such a comment. Maybe I've had too many beers but it takes some balls for you, of all people, to respond to this thread.
  • I'm currently selling this ALTERED card slabbed by PSA !!

search ebay: T206 Vic Willis with Bat Sweet Caporal 350 HOF PSA

PSA credited it as ALTERED on the flip....

my feeling are if PSA is willing to slab these cards and specify the problem , then these ALTERED cards can be sold
    as long as one specifies...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!