Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What happened to Second Party Grading?

I just tried to access their website... it's gone?
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just tried to access their website... it's gone? >>

I believe they were replaced by 7th party grading.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe they were replaced by 7th party grading. >>

No.....you are in error.......they were replaced by 6th party grading
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I prefer using second party grading, once removed.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Has anyone heard from/spoken to Mike Ellis?
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone heard from/spoken to Mike Ellis? >>

I talked to him over the weekend. He is having problems with his web hosting provider.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Recently Mike wrote that he'd be in Washington, DC this coming weekend with the editor of Coin World and the exec. dir. of the ANA to lobby for his idea of a 4-H commem.
  • Options
    Saw his add in coin world and the website works, but.......................... not sure what to take from it?
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Odd... SecondPartyGradING.com doesn't work, but SecondPartyGradED.com does work. One of the problems is... their branding is Second Party GradING, NOT Second Party GradED! Another problem is, their Submission Form lists SecondPartyGradING.com as their website. Awkward! image I would wager they hired a Third Party Website DevelopER image who now owns SecondPartyGradING.com. image

Their value add is that they sticker modern coins, whereas CAC doesn't... yet.
  • Options
    Hello All,

Sorry about that. Yes, our website was down. I hated it! It has been redone and soon we will be adding educational content. I am not sure how it came up with all the different address mixes though! It is www.secondpartygrading.com .

Llafoe, you made a good point: we do the modern coins that CAC does not and that is aok with John Albanese.

Thank you all for your interest and patience.

Mike Ellis
    Mike Ellis
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see the site is up again Mike.

SPG is an interesting name for the service as I'm sure has been mentioned before. This is because typically the first party and second party in a transaction are the people doing the transaction, i.e. buyer and seller. A TPG, or third-party, provides an opinion from an independent party that is not the first or second party, thus third-party.

SPG might be better called SOG: SecondOpinionGrading since you are giving a 2nd opinion on top of the TPG opinion.

It might be even better to consider something that doesn't mention "second" or a tier at all so your service can stand on it's own from a branding perspective.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file