Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

9% ????

I often sell on ebay Australia and sometimes on ebay US because of a larger market. Just went to check their fees and it is a 9% fee on the final value of an item (max $50). On ebay Aus it is 5.25% for the first $75, 2.75% for the next $1000 etc. What is going on here, 9%, I am in shock, how are people actually supposed to make money for themselves.

I've been looking at the cost of selling off a major slice of my collection which would be divided into lots with values from about $10 to $200. Just doing the sums, I would be looking at the following costs when selling through ebay US (I don't think there would be as large as market in Australia). The fees I would be looking at are:

ebay: 9%
Postage to US (with signature and insurance over a certain amount): about 10%
Paypal:3.4% coming from another currency
Paypal buy/sell spread when converting currencies: about 2%

So that is 25% of the value of my collection eaten up, I would only receive 75% of what the buyer pays. I could maybe get it up to about 88% if I sold on ebay Australia, with postage within Australia. Is it worth paying the extra 13% for the extra market? Is there a cheaper way to sell in the US? I am really quite shocked.

I'm aware of the BST but probably don't want to go that way as I'd prefer auctions to determine market value. Have also though about putting a fixed price list together and promoting it wherever I can, can you sell lists on ebay?
Still thinking of what to put in my signature...

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I haven't done it in quire awhile, But an Ebay store might work. Listings and FF are less. I sold of part of my religious medals collection that way, what did not sell in a couple months I bulked out and closed the store. A couple other companies do the store thing also.