1836 Bust Quarter

Would this retone nicely over time?

imageimage

Technical grade?

Comments

• QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    EDIT: Bust Quarter!

Best to edit your title...

It does not look like it was harshly cleaned, at least from the pictures (in hand may look altogether different though). If it was put in an old Wayte Raymond holder it would re-tone nicely I think.

As for die marriage...It is a B-2 (R-2). I would say that it is a VF-30 as far as technical grade goes.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>EDIT: Bust Quarter!

Best to edit your title...

It does not look like it was harshly cleaned, at least from the pictures (in hand may look altogether different though). If it was put in an old Wayte Raymond holder it would re-tone nicely I think.

As for die marriage...It is a B-2 (R-2). I would say that it is a VF-30 as far as technical grade goes.

QN >>

Thanks very much for your feedback and the reminder to edit the title of the post! I'm very new at evaluating bust quarters!

Anyone else with an opinion?
    TTT for the day crew...

Technical grade? Will she re-tone gracefully?
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think she is retoning nicely! As for technical grade: I'd go 35...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, it doesn't looked harshly cleaned...perhaps dipped way back when. I like the looks of that one and would think it would continue to darken over the years, especially if left raw.
    imageimage

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would this retone nicely over time? >>

Retone, as in it was dipped/cleaned? Hasn't it already retoned?

Or are you asking if it will continue to tone in a fashion that will be attractive, or just get darker until it's black? If so, no one can predict its future but you can certainly influence it.

It's not going to suddenly develop rich or vivid colors. But it likely will get darker.
    Lance.
  • I agree it will just get darker over time. I grade it 30 on the obverse 35 on the reverse. It already looks like it has a nice light tone to it. Are you putting together a set?
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the 30 camp.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I'd give it a MS70... How many 175 year old Busts have you seen that look that good! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The toning looks perfectly fine now. It appears to have darker grey fields with lighter grey devices. That is what a mid circulated 19th century coins should look like.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Might or might not tone nicely. That dark area above the brow, with the streak down across the face, might worry me a bit as this coin ages.

Noe a bad coin, though. Still lots of meat on it. VF30, I'd say.

Thanks for everyone's comments... I'll post my own photos once I have her in hand.

She will likely end up in my Dansco 7070 circulated album.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file