Home Sports Talk

Giants fans - Brandon Belt? worthy of a pickup in fantasy?

jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
What kind of hitter will he be? Looking to add him to my fantasy team, but it would mean dropping Colby Rasmus.

Comments

• why would dropping rasmus be your only option? I think he is going to have a very solid season.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Belt cracked the opening day roster ONLY because Cody Ross got hurt. Belt's going to need to prove to the organization that his contributions will off-set both the loss of Burrell's bat in the lineup AND Huff's ineptitude in the outfield.

Unless Belt starts posting ridiculous numbers, I think he's going to get sent down to Fresno once Cody Ross gets back in a week or so.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    thanks digicat...
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Unless belt starts posting ridiculous numbers, I think he's going to get sent down to Fresno once Cody Ross gets back in a week or so. >>

Cody Ross got activated today, and Brandon Belt got optioned to AAA Fresno.

Belt has the plate discipline (leads the Giants with 8 walks) to be an excellent hitter, and is already plus-defender at 1st. He just needs a steady stream of AB's to work on his timing. I'm fairly confident that he'll sort things out in AAA, and when he does, he'll return to SF and be a real contributer.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i agree with digicat. i had high hopes. he has plate discipline which the early Matt Williams did not.

• TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I agree with digicat's assessment as well. I wouldn't drop Rasmus for Belt this year just because I don't think Belt will end up contributing all that much especially compared to other 1Bs in the league. If you're in some kind of long term keeper league though, Belt would definitely be worth keeping an eye on.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    too late....I'm "helping" my buddy in his H2H league, that gives 1 point for double plays turned.....maybe the stupidest fantasy stat I've ever seen, but it skews 1B so bad, that even if Rasmus scored 15% more hitting points than Belt over the course of the season, Belt would have outscored him due to DPT....if only I dropped Rios instead....lol...

good to know I should keep Belt on my radar in case he makes it back up....thanks guys.