Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Submission Grades Finalized 0/4 0% DNC

I am having a hard time undertsanding the DNC's for ICCS graded canadian silver coins. Went for the crossover with four coins at ICCS ms-64 and all came back at DNC. How is this possible???? the coins are about spot on for grades in my opinion...come on none out of four???? Anyone have any idea whats going on here? Have sent many orders in the past and only had one iccs not cross over...ofcourse when i received the coin back in its original flip, the flip had been cut open with what looked like aknife blade, now its considered not graded. Help, anyone

Comments

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Submit them for whatever grade PCGS gives them, if you think there is an ICCS bias on there part. Better yet, submit them raw.
    Paul
  • Options
    To be perfectly honest, whether you submit them raw or to cross, based on my experience, your ICCS coins will not meet PCGS standards.

With mint state you have a fair chance but with prooflike-since ICCS considers the milky clouding in the fields as endemic because of
    the cellophane wrappers and PCGS knocks down for it-it's a low percentage submit.

I've been famiilar with ICCS since the eighties when Brian Cornwell started it. For many years they were as tight as, even tighter than,
    PCGS. It's a different picture today, and I've got the downgrades and the DNCs to prove it.....
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen just as many PCGS ms66's that wouldn't even get an ms65 at ICCS.

The reason is they grade totally differently.

It does not mean one is better than the other.

One huge difference betyween the two companies in high MS grades is ICCS looks at the fields first (and high points secondary) whereas I believe PCGS looks at high points first and fields second.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To be perfectly honest, whether you submit them raw or to cross, based on my experience, your ICCS coins will not meet PCGS standards.

With mint state you have a fair chance but with prooflike-since ICCS considers the milky clouding in the fields as endemic because of
    the cellophane wrappers and PCGS knocks down for it-it's a low percentage submit.

I've been famiilar with ICCS since the eighties when Brian Cornwell started it. For many years they were as tight as, even tighter than,
    PCGS. It's a different picture today, and I've got the downgrades and the DNCs to prove it..... >>

I had a toned KGV dime in PCGS ms65 once, that ICCS graded AU58.

The reason - it was heavily toned (and beautiful too!) which PCGS rewarded, but there was a lot of marks (and I mean alot) in the fields.

Personally, I felt the coin was about an ms60 to ms62. ICCS was too strict and PCGS was too easy on it.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)