Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Help on starting a set. Thoughts.

Ok. Help me from here please. I have about 50 PSA 6-9 1961 Topps Baseball cards and about 50 Raw cards in Ex-Mt to Mint.
Mint wise only about 4% rest Nm and some Nm-Mt. Should I continue to grade out these cards and try and have a completely graded set or should I just grade the screamers and keep raw cards in the mix. Something with sets and me having some of the comons graded and not the others just messes with me a bit but this is a vintage set so I think I can manage. Thoughts Please? Whats a good way to make a nice set in Ex-Mt To Nm-Mt? Not sure if I can justify spending 3,500.00 only on grading when I can buy and Ex-Mt set for that price. Please help.
Here are some pics so you can see from my shoes as to how I dont know how to finish this set. Oh and I want it to be under $6,000.00
I have about 650.00 into the set now.
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• I'd do this:

NM or better SLABS on the HOFers
    NM or better RAW on the rest
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you already answered your own question. I, myself, would like to keep it all graded or all raw.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with both of you. But for a almost 600 card set I cant do one or the other I feel. I really want to start this set but I dont know If Im ok with a half graded set. I like all graded and normally dont do a full set graded. Nm or better graded sounds fine as long as I buy them graded is the only problem. This is a tough issue I feel on this set if you want to persue it.
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I started a '56 set and wanted it to be all graded, but I didn't realize how immense the set was. I completely changed my focus and started collecting player sets instead.
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on the set as well. I keep going back to the same thing.
    I have some graded and raw and still have no clue what to do with it. But i like the set and will finish it in nm range.
    Good luck with your set you do have a very nice start on your set.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the goal is to build then sell: Raw with graded stars. If it is to keep, whatever makes you happier.

At $6k you shouldn't have too much of a problem on a raw/graded mix, but buying a nicer set as a starting point isn't a bad idea on these 60's sets. Given that you are only $650 into it now, a $4k set plus your great start will definitely leave you plenty of room for grading and upgrading if you buy wisely.

The PSA 7 Mantle that just sold would have been perfect too. The high numbers can be a grind on this set if you decide to go onesy-twosey, so definitely think about a set purchase where you can use 2/3 of it and sell of the lower grade stuff.

To build it all graded, $6k might be challenging - but fun too. I think it could be done if you don't mind 6's on some of the toughies and can make some bulk buys so that your money doesn't burn up on shipping.

Great start!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • sell the drysdale in the 9 and build the set slowly slabbed...
    7-8s only....only buy raw if you think they will holder into 8's
    otherwise, don't buy raw and just buy the graded when they go off at affordable prices..
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    If you think you could be happy with a nice raw set, why not sell of the graded cards and put that towards either a nice starter lot or towards some nice raw stars (from a reliable source).
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i like the '61 set, but not enough to build it.

i can share with you my experience working on '69 Topps, though......at the start i thought i was going to simply slide through the process of building an all graded set and then i started a raw one too.

now, all i want to do is build up the raw set to the highest possible standard and i rarely look at the graded cards anymore, but i look through the raw set at least twice a week.

perhaps you will gain more satisfaction from this project by challenging yourself to find nice tougher examples of cards that aren't already slabbed, but i know those high numbers are a plateful.

just a thought. good luck. image
    Bosox.
    The PSA 7 Mantle that just sold would have been perfect too. The high numbers can be a grind on this set if you decide to go onesy-twosey, so definitely think about a set purchase where you can use 2/3 of it and sell of the lower grade stuff.

Yeah I saw that one. That is exacly what i want for my mantle in this set. That was a gem of a 7 and looked cetnererd like a 9.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I might try the buy a full set and go from there. Seems like a great idea and i didnt think of that.