Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Okay Another Canadian 1953 SF/NSF question...

I know that this has been discussed before, because i Googled this question and PCGS came up in the discussion forums. But I have a question, I have a 1953 in MS condition with a Far leaf style and I cant figure out if this sucker has a shoulder fold or not. I took it to 2 local dealers to have them decipher for me if it does or doesnt....the results were inconclusive, they both were primarily American coinage experts, however both said they could see the shoulder fold across her shoulder blade, but if it is a shoulder fold it would of been from a weak dye...I know what the SF on other coins looks like, and this one isn't as defined, however it is there. My question is, with a NO shoulder fold strike is there a faint SF on her back or nothing there??? Weak strike shoulder fold, my imagination, or a certain amount of strap across her shoulder on NSF issues???? Help
theres no such thing as a stupid question is there?

Comments

• Options
    Don't bother looking at the fold- look at the obverse lettering. If the edges are flared (it's probably easiest to look at the "I"s), it's the NSF variety. If the ends are more squared off, its the SF one.
  • Options
    I know terrible picture anyhow....I cant post pictures to save my life. Thanks for the help, I believe mine is the NSF variety by that standard
    theres no such thing as a stupid question is there?
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Scan from the Charlton catalog: