Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Keeping up with the Jones

I collect Franklins including all the varieties. I know the Cherry Pickers Guide is used for the reference to attribute varieties but what happens when the authors of the CPG no longer publish updated additions? When new discoveries come along, the grading services will not attribute them unless they are listed in the CPG. Who do we turn to?
Peace can not be acheived by force but only through understanding.
Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    I am not very familiar with Franklin Halves, but with Morgan Dollars, Van Allen and Morris were the original authorities, and thus Morgans are known by VAM varieties. Van Allen is involved with the continuously updated web site VAMWorld. The list is pretty lengthy, and a few varieties have even been pulled as duplicates or differing die states from the same dies. PCGS only attributes major ones, but the high profile of VAMs keeps that list updated. Getting more people interested in Franklin varieties could help the cause.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same complaint on dimes. And these are not all new varieties. Most are varieties that have been around for a long time and are in the various speciality books on the series. I have called Mike Faraone who is in charge of varieties. I have talked to Don Willis in person and have sent messages to both Don Willis and David Hall asking that they start using these books on the series instead of just the CPG. I don't know if there is a book on Franklins. I would think there would be, but you (bassethounddog) and anybody else interested in this should contact these people I listed. The more that ask them the better.

Good luck to all of us variety collectors.
  • Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    I wrote a book on Franklin and Kennedy Half Dollar doubled dies about 10 years back,
    I was eventually planning to break them out into seperate and complete reference books
    including all doubled dies, RPMs and so on.

On the Franklins, beleived I needed about half of the RPMs.

Let me know if you want to help get this done

Thanks
    Kevin
    kevinjflynn88@yahoo.com
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    Hi Kevin,
    What would you need from me as far as help. I feel that if the collector, expert or otherwise, is going to acquire varieties and submit new discoveries, a solid reference source, and more than one, is needed. Let me know what I can do to help.
    Peace can not be acheived by force but only through understanding.
    Albert Einstein
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Kevin,
    What would you need from me as far as help. I feel that if the collector, expert or otherwise, is going to acquire varieties and submit new discoveries, a solid reference source, and more than one, is needed. Let me know what I can do to help. >>

Do you have my Franklin Kennedy doubled die book? That will show you the Franklin doubled dies I have.

If you send me your email, I can send you a PDF of the Franklin RPM chapter, you can see what I have so far,
    and also a list of the doubled dies and RPMs I have or know of.

Thanks
    Kevin
    kevinjflynn88@yahoo.com
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    Hi Kevin,

Don't know if you remember me or not, but back when you did your book on RPD's "Two dates are better than one" you used two of my dimes.

The 1873 DDO and the 1889 RPD.

Jon
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Kevin,
    Don't know if you remember me or not, but back when you did your book on RPD's "Two dates are better than one" you used two of my dimes.
    The 1873 DDO and the 1889 RPD.
    Jon >>

Hi Jon,

That feels like another life time ago, I must be getting old, things start to blend together.

What series of the dimes do you specialize, do you have all of the Lib Seated dimes?

Thanks
    Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    Kevin,

I do all of the dime series. I have most of the Seated varieties in the CPG and some that are not. At one time I almost had all of them and then sold some off thinking I was getting out of collecting. Now I have to get them all back.

Jon
  • Options
    Jon,

Working on each of the lib seated seated series now,
    pretty much finished the Top Lib Seated Die Varieties.

Still need a few dimes for the dime book,
    can you send me an email at kevinjflynn88@yahoo.com and
    I can send you a list of what I have and still need.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I collect Franklins including all the varieties. I know the Cherry Pickers Guide is used for the reference to attribute varieties but what happens when the authors of the CPG no longer publish updated additions? When new discoveries come along, the grading services will not attribute them unless they are listed in the CPG. Who do we turn to? >>

Join CONECA and submit your coins to them. They will attribute your varieties and if the coins have already been graded by PCGS or NGC, will include a letter cross referencing the variety to the Certification number.

Attributions are only $5 plus to/from shipping costs.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!