Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1992 Topps Blackless

Yesterday I broke a box of 1992 Topps baseball and found a pair of cards missing portions of black ink, in manner similar to the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas and it's neighbors.

Both come from the C* sheet (possibly connect together-haven't seen an uncut 1992 C* sheet). I have not gone back over the rest of the cards yet or checked the backs. I will update if anything else shows up.

Anyone ever pull any other 1992 Topps missing the black ink? I know Chipper's prospects card can be found with all the black ink missing on back.

Enjoy:

**EDIT**

No matter what I try, the photos are not appearing.
My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.

Comments

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Try this:

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭
    Now side by side to see how they line up....looks like a match:

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Try this:

image >>

For future reference, what did you do? It was the first time I have ever had difficulty posting an image on here.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    I would agree that it is the same sort of printing flaw that lead to the Thomas. Interesting.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    If you go to the flickr page where the pictures are hosted, there is a "Share This" option that gives you the code to embed the image using HTML/BBCode. Then, since PSA doesn't allow HTML code, you just copy the image url in that code and paste it here using the picture icon or the img tags.
  • Options

<< <i>If you go to the flickr page where the pictures are hosted, there is a "Share This" option that gives you the code to embed the image using HTML/BBCode. Then, since PSA doesn't allow HTML code, you just copy the image url in that code and paste it here using the picture icon or the img tags. >>

Ahh, thank you!

• Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    awesome find....

now I obviously want these., lol

anyone else ?

more 411 ?
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    I checked all of the other C sheet cards in the box. No significant findings, just David Howard is missing a small bit of black ink in the lower right corner area. Other players on the sheet that I confirmed to NOT be affected (at least in my box) include Rickey Henderson and Frank Thomas.

Of course, there are other C sheet players I didn't pull from this box that could be affected by this flaw.

• Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    kewl...
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    I have one to add - 1992 Topps Mike Scioscia missing black ink on the lower right corner, including the gray within half the team name box. Noticed this over the weekend while sorting commons. It's from the A* sheet, so unrelated to the Sheffield and Thompson here. On first glace, I didn't see any others like this in my 1,000 or so.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for reviving a jacksoncoupage E/V thread.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    The only way these will have value is if you can find more than one of each card with the EXACT same ink missing in the EXACT same spots. Otherwise, they are just garbage.
  • Options
    That's my thought as well - printing anomaly unless someone shows otherwise. But I wanted to show that there's at least three out there.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only way these will have value is if you can find more than one of each card with the EXACT same ink missing in the EXACT same spots. Otherwise, they are just garbage. >>

Some would still consider them garbage
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The only way these will have value is if you can find more than one of each card with the EXACT same ink missing in the EXACT same spots. Otherwise, they are just garbage. >>

Some would still consider them garbage >>

Yeah, it really takes a perfect storm for these to gain traction. But this will not stop me from posting the legendary 1990 Topps Rick Wrona!

Behold, and be Wronafied!

• Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    I actually think that print defects that aren't one-offs, but were duplicated, are pretty cool collectibles. I have some junk era cards that have the same exact fisheyes that SHOULD carry some kind of value higher than the millions of regular versions.