Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

So what do you guys think of this 6p

Just back from ATS

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options
    It's pretty , for your future reference these were known as 6d's as opposed to 6p's MM , from the days when pounds sterling was known as LSD where the L is actually a pound sign.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I always thought it was strange that NGC insists on using the p instead of d for pence, but I think only the Brits (and perhaps a few colonies) every really used that designation.
  • Options
    lol image Considering it's a British coin i think we can assume which designation is correct.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's pretty , for your future reference these were known as 6d's as opposed to 6p's MM , from the days when pounds sterling was known as LSD where the L is actually a pound sign. >>

Doesn't the "d" actually trace way back to Roman rule, ie "6 denarius"?
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Exactly right Pokermandude , its from the latin "librae, solidi and denarii".
    Pounds,shillings and pence.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭
    And I always thought LSD was.... nevermind.
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    Bit of an off- centre strick there on the reverse. Makes it neither the narrow border type or wide border type.
  • Options
    What's it's grade, a bit of wear on the top of George's ear and the lions nose is flat with a bit of shine on the feet.
  • Options
    Beautiful toning on the obverse
    theres no such thing as a stupid question is there?
  • Options
    Like it a lot.

Honestly I'd like it a lot more in a PCGS holder with the same grade...
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...d for pence, but I think only the Brits (and perhaps a few colonies) every really used that designation. >>

No, "D" or "d" as abbreviation for penny was used for pretty much the entire time period the £sd system was in use, and was used throughout the English colonial world... including in the early North American colonies, as evidenced by this Massachusetts 12d note ("d" symbols arrowed in blue):

It is important, because p and d are abbreviations for two very different currency units, albeit two units with the same name ("pence"). Madmarty's coin is not a 6p coin, it's a 2½p coin. Or, to write it in predecimal notation, 6d. I'd be amazed if NGC gets any custom at all in Britain with that kind of attitude.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    The use of p & d seems to be indiscriminate by the TPGs. Consequently you can have the best known 1797 1d or the best known 1797 1p, or both. It's called expanding the market.image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, Rob, TPG fan that you are...LOL

What was the grade? It is blown up considerably from its original size but looks to be a "55" or so, or not quite up to "GEF" standards IMO. Nice toning on the rev.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, Rob, TPG fan that you are...LOL

What was the grade? It is blown up considerably from its original size but looks to be a "55" or so, or not quite up to "GEF" standards IMO. Nice toning on the rev. >>

Marty posted it Text

3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    me likes!!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>002 1919 G.BRITAIN 6P MS 66 100.00 This one has the nicest toming I have ever seen!! >>

I really like the reverse toning on this coin, but...how noticeable are the 2 scratches on the neck in hand?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...d for pence, but I think only the Brits (and perhaps a few colonies) every really used that designation. >>

No, "D" or "d" as abbreviation for penny was used for pretty much the entire time period the £sd system was in use, and was used throughout the English colonial world... including in the early North American colonies, as evidenced by this Massachusetts 12d note ("d" symbols arrowed in blue):

It is important, because p and d are abbreviations for two very different currency units, albeit two units with the same name ("pence"). Madmarty's coin is not a 6p coin, it's a 2½p coin. Or, to write it in predecimal notation, 6d. I'd be amazed if NGC gets any custom at all in Britain with that kind of attitude. >>

Excellent information Sapyx , i've learned something in that i didn't know early Colonials used the same system.I knew they used circulating European currencies but always figured they would have been called something else. I was equally surprised at the slip up , it's ironic a TPG grades a coin yet misrepresents it.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Like it a lot.

Honestly I'd like it a lot more in a PCGS holder with the same grade... >>

It went along with an order of Maundy sets that I wanted to have in Multi-Holders. I found out they don't do them anymore and just told them to grade them! It would have been $50 just in shipping to have them sent back and then to PCGS.

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>002 1919 G.BRITAIN 6P MS 66 100.00 This one has the nicest toming I have ever seen!! >>

I really like the reverse toning on this coin, but...how noticeable are the 2 scratches on the neck in hand? >>

Not very, Remember I blew the pic up a lot!!! so a hairline looks like a canyon!!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    M2 Nice coin but wish that they had been grading my coins that day....Not hating but nice grade there.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.