Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1989 Upper Deck

I'm thinking about buying some 89 UD boxes and ripping them. I'm going to buy them from bbcexchange so I'm not worrying about getting boxes that have been searched. However weren't the UD boxes sealed in some manner from the factory? Were they shrink wrapped or were the lids taped?
Thanks for the info.

Comments

• Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    No, the boxes were not sealed. The factory sealed the cases.
  • Options
    arexarex Posts: 999
    Ok
    So the chance for them to be searched (wasn't there a sequence to them?) is there regardless?
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    There is no sequence that I know of. I have opened sealed cases of both the high and low number boxes. Some boxes can have 3 Griffeys and others may have none. Low series boxes, in my opinion, tend to have better centering.
  • Options
    That is interesting. I've always heard that they were sequenced which could alow you to find the Griffey if it was in the box
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok
    So the chance for them to be searched (wasn't there a sequence to them?) is there regardless? >>

I have never heard of a pattern or searching with these packs because of the foil that UD used for those packs.
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I had always heard the exact opposite of sequencing. I have heard stories of pulling two Griffeys in a pack and some boxes having none. I opened one from BBCE last year and got three Griffey's in the box. You should feel pretty safe opening a box from them.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had always heard the exact opposite of sequencing. I have heard stories of pulling two Griffeys in a pack and some boxes having none. I opened one from BBCE last year and got three Griffey's in the box. You should feel pretty safe opening a box from them. >>

I got two Griffeys in the same pack back when the card was "hot" at $10. I remember most from our case were coming from the second pack down in the lower right section.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is interesting. I've always heard that they were sequenced which could alow you to find the Griffey if it was in the box >>

Maybe you're thinking of Fleer. Fleer packs in that era definitely had a sequence. UD did not as far as I'm aware of. I did also get two Griffeys in one pack once. Unfortunately both did not have great centering.
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭
    I thought UD had a sequence. I remember buying boxes of hockey and opening the top pack and counting down to find the Fedorovs. I am not sure if '89 baseball was he same, since I never bought a box at the time.
    Joel
  • Options

<< <i>I thought UD had a sequence. I remember buying boxes of hockey and opening the top pack and counting down to find the Fedorovs. I am not sure if '89 baseball was he same, since I never bought a box at the time. >>

this is correct. UD boxes were very easy to "search"
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    I also hit two in one pack. Both had dinged corners so I mailed them off to Upper Deck. They sent me two minty mint ones! Those were the days. image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether urban legend or not - many attest to the fact that the packs have a sequence.

Key - BBCEx is selling from sealed cases - so one can rest assure the boxes are not searched.

Good luck - hope you hit a 10!
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys. It seems to me that with the price of the lo# being about double of the high# that the high number boxes should actually give me a much larger chance at the Griffey and also at working on a set than just the low.
    I seem to remember that in the hi# packs that there were 13 of the lo#s and 2 of the high #s, is this correct?
  • Options
    Yes, Upper Deck baseball boxes were sequenced....buy from a reputable dealer from a sealed case.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, Upper Deck baseball boxes were sequenced....buy from a reputable dealer from a sealed case. >>

Agreed.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>I seem to remember that in the hi# packs that there were 13 of the lo#s and 2 of the high #s, is this correct? >>

i strongly disagree. there is a reason that the hi# boxes are half the price of the lo# boxes. i honestly do not remember,
    as it was 22 years ago, but i think at BEST, its 4 hi/8 low per pack.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also hit two in one pack. Both had dinged corners so I mailed them off to Upper Deck. They sent me two minty mint ones! Those were the days. image >>

They should have at least sent you an uncut sheet of Griffeys image
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I also hit two in one pack. Both had dinged corners so I mailed them off to Upper Deck. They sent me two minty mint ones! Those were the days. image >>

They should have at least sent you an uncut sheet of Griffeys image >>

Those probably went out the back door!
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten two Griffeys in one pack as well.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    I pulled like 8 Sheffield SS errors in one box.....I think 4 in a pack.....

at the time I was more excited with that and my Luis Medina Rookie cards, then Griffey....lol
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I agree, ripped 6 boxes and didnt hit a griffey, not sure how they could have none