MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>seems police confiscated Robert hughes inventory at FUN >>

Wow I had just received an out of the blue want list call from him before the show. I had actually found a few nice coins through him, too bad things went south.
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    I did some problem free business with him as neyronix on Ebay. Was warned not to let him owe me money.
  • Options
    So here is a question what happens to the inventory when it has bees seized, lets say failed trial (found guilty), what happens to all the coins the state or feds take?
  • Options

<< <i>So here is a question what happens to the inventory when it has bees seized, lets say failed trial (found guilty), what happens to all the coins the state or feds take? >>

I don't believe that it is a government seizure, per se. I believe it is part of the enforcement of a civil suit brought by another dealer.

merse

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a guess, but I think that if someone consigned coins to him and they were confiscated, the coins are still owned by the consignor and the consignor can get coins back upon presentation of proof of same.

Tom

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just a guess, but I think that if someone consigned coins to him and they were confiscated, the coins are still owned by the consignor and the consignor can get coins back upon presentation of proof of same. >>

I was told this actually happened at FUN as the coins were being confiscated.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the subject of shilling it's still alive and well on eBay. Found it very interesting that no matter what the listing said it was a little more than I was bidding.image

BTW it was not same seller but several in the bullion area.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I purchased several coins from him on his weekly auctions on eBay and felt I was getting
    good prices. One coin arrived with a very small crack on the corner of a PCGS slab and he
    quickly made an adjustment via Pay Pal credit.

One time he auctioned an AU58 PCGS 1854-D $3 gold with a 99c starting bid. I thought
    that was gutsy, but the price got over $50,000 by the end of the auction. That one may have
    had some help, but I have no evidence of that.
  • Options
    3 years ago I purchased from him a 1807 NGC AU58 Quarter that I ended up returning. The refund took 6 weeks of emails, voicemail recordings of mailbox being full, and "checks in the mail" email promises. It took extensive internet searching to find a posted cell number and me pleading for him to drop what he was doing and send me a check. Maybe he had something going on in his life or maybe just bad business. I really don't know, but it is in my top 3 most horrible experiences.
  • Options
    After searching Robert Hughes Numismatics there are a few stories that involve him. Wish I had done a better background review at the time vs Ebay feedback.

http://coins.finestknown.com/rare-coin-market-update/article.php?articleid=121
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After searching Robert Hughes Numismatics there are a few stories that involve him. Wish I had done a better background review at the time vs Ebay feedback.

http://coins.finestknown.com/rare-coin-market-update/article.php?articleid=121 >>

Thanks for posting this link.

What has become of Hughes and Griffith ?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just a guess, but I think that if someone consigned coins to him and they were confiscated, the coins are still owned by the consignor and the consignor can get coins back upon presentation of proof of same. >>

I was told this actually happened at FUN as the coins were being confiscated. >>

Wonder how things worked out?
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you'd think there'd be some kind of new information by this point.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no word on how this turned out image
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I think he still operates but off of eBay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file