Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Maybe my most epic small submission poppage! 114 year old Cards!

These are all 1897 Baines Shield and Golf ball cards....Yes you read that right, these are from 1897.
To say these are rare is an understatement. I think there are about 8 Shield card varieties known to exist and roughly 25 different golf ball version cards.
I bought all of these from the same auction and I though they looked really really good, but I could not have imagined this.

I would have been very happy if all came back in the 4-5 range. Per the pop report there were only 5 golf ball variation cards ever graded prior to my submission of 5, and there had been only two of the shield version cards graded. 2 - AUTHENTIC Grades, 1- PSA 2, 1- PSA 3, 1 PSA 5 and 1 PSA 9...so needless to say, these are pretty tough.

Can't wait to get them back in the mail to show scans, normally I post just this stuff on the Vintage Golf card thread on the Set Registy board but this deserved sharing with the entire crowd as well.

1 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1897 J. BAINES CRICKET AND FOOTBALL (GOLF BALL/SHIELD) WHIT GOLF-SHIELD
2 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1897 J. BAINES CRICKET AND FOOTBALL (GOLF BALL/SHIELD) WEARSIDE WELL DRIVEN-GOLF BALL
3 MINT 9 1897 J. BAINES CRICKET AND FOOTBALL (GOLF BALL/SHIELD) COMBE HILL GOOD STROKE-GOLF BALL
4 1 EXCELLENT 5 1897 J. BAINES CRICKET AND FOOTBALL (GOLF BALL/SHIELD) COVENTRY WELL DRIVEN-GOLF BALL
5 EXCELLENT 5 1897 J. BAINES CRICKET AND FOOTBALL (GOLF BALL/SHIELD) ROYAL EASTBOURNE WELL DRIVEN-GOLF BALL
6 MINT 9 1897 J. BAINES CRICKET AND FOOTBALL (GOLF BALL/SHIELD) FOXGROVE WELL DRIVEN-GOLF BALL

An 8.5 and two 9's on cards that are 114 years old.......EPIC.

Thanks for looking and sharing in my excitement!

Dave
Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats Dave ... Any idea on their FMV?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    What, no 10?image

Congrats on some very cool cards.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Yeah... I don't see the point. Everything I have from '97 is either a 9 or 10. Seriously... good stuff!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    No clue on value, I am keeping them to be sure though.

If you find them on overseas auctions, they typically go for 75-100 each as raw cards, and I have found that condition does not matter. A few people collect the Baines stuff in particular (the majority of it is cricket and rugby cards from what I normally see) although there was a Philadelphia and also New York Baseball shields that each ended for $55 today on ebay. I almost bought them just because they are cool, but someone got a great deal on those in my opinion. Although the auction listed the baseball ones from 1905, so that might be correct that they are from a different year.

Here is what a baseball shield looks like

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Here are the raw card versions of the Whit Shield and Coombe Hill Ball cards I had graded just so you can see what these cool cards look like

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Wow! How many PSA 9s are there of ANY trading card that old?
  • Options
    I am looking for one of those in particular - Arthur Wharton - 100 yard dash. I will pay top dollar for anyone who can supply this card.

Thanks
  • Options
    With two 1897 '9' 's you just shut the heck up out of the majority of blabber vintage collectors that even look here. That is bad *ss stuff you got .

Come on bad boy 50's collectors, your little wimpy PSA 7 56 Mantles pretty much suck. Bow to this stuff.
  • Options
    That is awesome. I picked up a raw set of 1930 Carreras Alice in wonderland and they were so nice, I decided they had to be graded. The set came back at avg PSA 8.02. Quite a few 9's and one 10. I thought that was pretty amazing, but a couple of PSA 9's from 1897 is out of control!!!!!!!

Congrats,

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭
    Wow!!!!

I was happy with an 1890 card (N80 Holidays) that came back PSA 7.5 You sure beat that a couple of times.
    Kevin Thomas
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice score on the poppage...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, man! More scans!!
  • Options
    cool looking items!
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry this happened to you.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    congrats thats awesome!!