Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

this in not a soap opera

How is it determined that a coin has been cleaned when it goes in for certification? Some of my coins look like MS66 and are labeled "Genuine" and I have seen (personally witnessed) coins cleaned and come back MS63 or better.
Is there a way for the consumer to be sure the coin has not been cleaned when the price can be rather high on some coins such as the low population Varieties.
Peace can not be acheived by force but only through understanding.
Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Is there a way for the consumer to be sure the coin has not been cleaned when the price can be rather high on some coins such as the low population Varieties. >>

NO. Coin grading is a matter of opinion.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Sir, is no Bassetthound. Looks like a boxer if I were guessing. Welcome to the boards! Concerning coins, you must develop from experience what to look for in cleaned coins. It will differ from copper to silver. In the series you collect, study online, at shows, and at coin shops as many of your series as you can. Compare graded coins to ungraded coins. Learn before you buy. It will make coin collecting a more enjoyable hobby. Mel
  • Options
    As I said in my post, I have coins that look as good as or better than my graded MS66s and I have seen a cleaned coin come back MS63. Is there any written references to use as a guide. Having the time to compare coins is not something I can do 90% of the time due to work, family and such.
    Albert Einstein
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drag out the ol' ladder, climb to the roof, and make the proper sacrifice prior to all submissions.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As I said in my post, I have coins that look as good as or better than my graded MS66s and I have seen a cleaned coin come back MS63. Is there any written references to use as a guide. Having the time to compare coins is not something I can do 90% of the time due to work, family and such. >>

Sorry. Unless the coin has obvious brillo pad scratches on it, it takes an "experienced" eye to determine whether or not that "eye" believes the coin was cleaned.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to our crazy little party!

Sorry to be so harsh, but "Some of my coins look like MS66" is a statement that doesn't count for much of anything when it comes to what a credible grading company thinks.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    When I said "some of my coins look MS66", it was a comparitive statement. It is not like saying a VW looks like a Corvette. When these coin I refer to are laid side by side anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The grading companies are not always correct. I saw a cleaned coin come back MS63. When I say cleaned, I was there when the coin was cleaned. I am trying to find a standard reference that can be used by all collectors. Not all of us are EXPERTS!
    Albert Einstein
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Pay enough dues and you will be on your way.

Welcome to the boards.

<< <i>Looks like a boxer if I were guessing. >>

It does?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to me hes on a training mat. Hes adorable,treat him goodimage
  • Options

<< <i>When I said "some of my coins look MS66", it was a comparitive statement. It is not like saying a VW looks like a Corvette. When these coin I refer to are laid side by side anyone would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The grading companies are not always correct. I saw a cleaned coin come back MS63. When I say cleaned, I was there when the coin was cleaned. I am trying to find a standard reference that can be used by all collectors. Not all of us are EXPERTS! >>

I will solve the issue for you right now. YOU CANNOT BUY A STANDARD REFERENCE BOOK THAT CAN BE USED BY ALL COLLECTORS TO TELL IF A COIN HAS BEEN CLEANED. Having said that it simply takes time and experience. No one lays a coin side by side to grade the coin, you use a coin loupe not the naked eye. Pcgs will get coins wrong as well as will any other grading service. Coin grading is an art also being able to grade a coin the same as pcgs or ngc will grade the coin is not only an art but luck of the draw . It takes alot of time being able to tell if a coin has been cleaned and some times you simply will not be able to tell, it also depends on the series you collect.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks to me hes on a training mat. Hes adorable,treat him goodimage >>

you talking about the dog or the OP??

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks to me hes on a training mat. Hes adorable,treat him goodimage >>

you talking about the dog or the OP??

Herb >>

I guess both LMAO
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Soty, it is also know that the graders rarely use a loupe as well. If anything I believe they do use a 5x loupe if needed.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,