Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Should I get this 1952 Topps Mantle re-graded by PSA?

I recently purchased the card seen in the detailed pics below:

http://s372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/curiousjim10/52 mantle/

I am thinking about sending it to PSA to be re-graded in hopes it comes back a 3.5. Anyone think it's worth the $200 cost? Although the corners are worn, the card only has one very very slight surface wrinkle on the front bottom that is extremely hard to see, it's about a 1/4 of an inch. Other than that, there's a couple of white spots on the front from wear, but the card's color is extremely nice. The reason I think it may get a 3.5 is because I'm not sure when it was sent in for grading, but centering is the most important part of getting a half grade and this card is almost perfectly centered. And as most know, it's extremely rare for a 52 topps mantle to be well-centered. Plus, other than the very small surface wrinkle I mentioned, no creases, or other wrinkles. Think it's worth it? Thanks!

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image

Card does have nice eye appeal. Appears it was probably graded before the .5 grading started. There is a good chance it has been reviewed before. If a card does not bump they send it back in the same holder. I would like to see them reholder all cards sent in for review and have the new flip. I do realize they make much profit on some cards as they go through the system many times. I would imagine (I don't know this as a fact.) all cards sent in for review would be on a computer file and they know how many times each card came in for review. As far as being worth it, I would say Yes it's worth the risk in spite of what I said. It is a 52 Mantle after all.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    Displayed for ya!

• she won't bump..don't crack
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Thanks for the replies! What makes you think it won't bump to a 3.5? It's definitely not a 4, but PSA's website says that the focus on half point grading is the centering. And this card is notorious as we all know for poor centering. Although not 50/50, this centering is excellent, and has excellent eye appeal with great color. No creases, one small tiny wrinkle (and the scratch you see on one picture is actually a scratch on the PSA holder). I don't want to throw $200 away to have it reviewed but I think it may be worth it. Also, I wasn't planning on cracking it open, I was going to send it in as it is. Any suggestions, anyone agree, disagree? This is my first review I'm considering sending in. Thanks!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    i think its about right also

but if your not cracking it it might be worth a shot, but i think the scuffs on the surface and corners will hold it back

GOOD LUCK!!! heres hoping its a 4
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should have Beckett grade it?
  • ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Come on man. That card is a 3 all day long and I think it has a good shot at a 3.5. It might even get a 4 if the grader had some wild sex the night before with a hottie!!!!!
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    I think it is right also.......................i wouldn't resub.
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    it is a nice card (centering and eye appeal both strong, as you say), however, i think psa got it right. do you have any idea what the difference in value between a 3 and a 3.5 would be? i guess i am wondering how much "value" the $200 risk would garner you.

good luck with it. eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Corners keep it at a 3 IMO. Good luck, though, if you decide to send it in.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I don't see it as a bump either. But i still like the card.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I think it is correctly graded as is.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is always a chance it may bump, but looking at the photos it's not a card that screams "BUMP". The corners have a good amount of wear on them and a few scuffs on the surface pretty much put it where it is, but like with any gamble there is always a chance of a good payday.

Good luck if you decide to submit for review...

Very nice card by the way...image

JMHO...Donato

Edited to add: image to the boards!!!!
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • To me it wouldn't be worth it to send that baby off in the mail for just a half grade higher, i mean it's a nice mantle so who cares about a half grade, i've wanted one since i was a kid.
    Probably about $1,000 smackaroos for a half grade higher when you are talking about this card.