Home Precious Metals
Options

way OT question - polishing stainless steel

I have some small stainless steel parts I want to polish up to a nice shine. Right now the finish is dull/matted. Stainless is an extremely hard metal so I think it will take some kind of small tool/machine. Anyone here have any advice/recommendations?
"Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)

Comments

• Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Skotchbrite pads with nitric acid going with the grain.

Do not go against grain and do not use muriatic acid.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    acetone bath followed by polishing compond

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Skotchbrite pads with nitric acid going with the grain.

Do not go against grain and do not use muriatic acid. >>

I never heard of the nitric acid part, but I remember going to a car show years ago and seeing DeLorean owners using Skotch Brite pads to shine-up their cars.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youtube has some ok videos on how to polish stainless.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Skotchbrite pads with nitric acid going with the grain.

Do not go against grain and do not use muriatic acid. >>

I never heard of the nitric acid part, but I remember going to a car show years ago and seeing DeLorean owners using Skotch Brite pads to shine-up their cars. >>

Part of the company that I work for installs stainless steel gutters for swimming pools, this is how we polish the stainless steel before we turn it over to the owner. Usually stainless steel is passivated to prevent rusting. Using nitric acid will not damage the passavation.

And yes stainless steel does rust depending on what grade it is. 304, 316, 404 etc...

Thanks,

bstat
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to polish hardened 416 and 17-4PH stainless gun parts. I used a 3/4 HP 1800 rpm Baldor buffer with a hard felt wheel for the first polish and a loose muslin wheel for the final polish. The polishing compound was 400 grit Polish-O-Ray.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses guys. The videos on Youtube were pretty useful. I went out and got a small Craftman bench buffer.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)