Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Darkside Rescue needs YOU!

In today’s uncertain economy it’s more important than ever to protect those who can not protect themselves.
Millions thoughtlessly brought to slaughter for money and profit with no regard for age, denomination, nationality or beauty.
The Darkside Rescue urges you to do what you can to save the helpless.
Go to your local B&M
beg to be allowed to look through their melt box and save as many of our little silver friends as you can afford
you won’t be sorry…

Joking aside, I couldn’t believe what was going to melt last time I went to my favorite B&M.
Wish my budget would have allowed me to save more from their fiery fate. I’d pick up a nice coin do the math and drop it back pretty often…
Mexican and Canadian like you wouldn’t believe, mostly modern but quite a bit of older stuff too, way more than I could afford to rescue. Especially cleaned and lower grade examples, three or four 8 reals with VF details but harshly cleaned, about a dozen original looking (PR to Good) 1, 2 & 4 reals, all going to melt…
Lots of other countries too, but I like Mexican so they stood out.
Paul - saved by
The Fireman...

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several proof and unc panama 5 balboas from the 1970's and and 1980]s, I bot as numismatic investment believe it or not, yet only paid basically silver. Kinda glad I did now with where silver is.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    If by chance you picked up a 76 or a 77 you got a heck of a deal! My Krause shows them as $175.00 each with mintages of only 125,000
    I did see quite a few Panama pieces mostly 1/2 Balboas from the 60s, they looked high mint state too but I had to let them go, at $13.00 a pop I just couldn't pull the trigger.
    I have a feeling US & world silver coinage of the mid to late 1900s is taking one heck of a shellacking this past year or so.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of balboas, a cashier at a 7-11 once tried to slip me a 1/4 balboa in change instead of a dime. I don't normally check change that close, but she looked kinda sheepish. She was all apologetic and offered a real dime, but I declined image.

Turned out to be a 1933 in choice AU condition. When I asked if she had more 'errors' I could help her with she said no, but that she had just given out one the size of a quarter about 5 minutes earlier. image
  • Options
    There always seems to be plenty of darkside silver on the bay going for minimal bids , Swiss and French catagories always have loads of .835 silver coins , often at 99c + shipping.Buying in lots is even better at times.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Speaking of balboas, a cashier at a 7-11 once tried to slip me a 1/4 balboa in change instead of a dime. I don't normally check change that close, but she looked kinda sheepish. She was all apologetic and offered a real dime, but I declined image.

Turned out to be a 1933 in choice AU condition. When I asked if she had more 'errors' I could help her with she said no, but that she had just given out one the size of a quarter about 5 minutes earlier. image >>

wow....image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    If by chance you picked up a 76 or a 77 you got a heck of a deal! My Krause shows them as $175.00 each with mintages of only 125,000

That mintage is 125 not 125,000. This is for the copper nickle coins. The silver ones for 1976 and 77 is 12,000 and 9,548. The 2007 value is $15 and $20.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the correction - that really is low mintage. Off to the bay to see if I can score some cheap french silver!
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>a cashier at a 7-11 once tried to slip me a 1/4 balboa in change instead of a dime. >>

Are you sure it was a 1/4 balboa? Those things are the size of a quarter- I'd be surprised if a cashier thought one was a dime.
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351

<< <i>

<< <i>a cashier at a 7-11 once tried to slip me a 1/4 balboa in change instead of a dime. >>

Are you sure it was a 1/4 balboa? Those things are the size of a quarter- I'd be surprised if a cashier thought one was a dime. >>

Probably was a 1/10 Balboa.
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    As sad as this second 'big melt' may be, it is part of the normal life cycle of precious metal coins. Unlike US silver coins (which are routinely traded in $1,000.00 face value bags and therefore probably not actually melted) I suspect many darkside coins sold for melt are actually melted. Such is the life of a coin.

The same silver that is in your modern coins may very well have been in a denarius of Augustus, an electrum stater of Lydia, a hammered groat of Elizabeth I, or a beautiful Georgian tea set. Or all of them.

The answer? There is none. Someday you too shall return to the dust that comprises us all. In the meantime, COLLECT! Don't wait for another 'big melt' to give your collection the active attention it deserves. Avoid the temptation to merely accumulate. You cannot save every coin, nor should you, but you can assemble a collection which pleases you.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I managed to save a few from the melt bucket before I become dust in the wind.