Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Charlton Standard Grading Question

I have a Charlton Standard Catalogue that I use to grade out my Canadian money with, in the book it does a really good job explaining the grading except for PL-65. I assume this means either proof like or pretty lucky, not sure, but what is this grade about?
theres no such thing as a stupid question is there?

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Prrof-like as you guessed, I am not familiar with Canadian coins but it refers to mirrored fields and nearly all the details of a proof coin.
  • Options
    that makes sense, but the catalogue doesn't lay out the parameters for PL. Which I would wonder if "Proof Like" is just an opinion rather than a gradeable characteristic? I know that alot of grading is purely opinion but at least there is some guidlines to go by.
  • Options
    The prooflike is a standard mint production. They polish the planchets more highly than those used in the business strikes but not as highly as those used
    for proofs.
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    They also polish the dies differently than standard MS dies but not like the proof dies. The striking force is also higher than regular MS production with only 1 hit to produce the coin. The result is a coin with slightly squared off details especially around the rim and fields that look like they have a thin layer of glass on them.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Well that answers my question, thankyou. I have a 1953 NSF/Far that I believe is a proof like strike, but I cannot tell. Maybe I will post a picture of it on the forum thread and see if anyone can tell me if it fits the description or not. Thanks all for the help.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had trouble with the 1953 Dollars- there are some that look PL and will not get that designation

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Yes I am suspect of this coin as well.....it is a 5 cent variety, however I cannot even use my magnifying light on it due to how reflective it is, but I dont remember paying too much for this coin, got it about 7 years ago and my memory is fuzzy but I probably would have remembered paying for a PL-65 pricetag