Home Precious Metals

What type to buy? (1 oz style)

I'm at a pinnacle in life right now. I'm pretty solid with collector coins that I have amassed over a lifetime from Morgans to Lincolns and a few odd pieces in between.

I'd like to pick up some of the 1 oz bars for the whatever bites you situation, the dilemma is what brand seems better on an open market ie- J%M, Englehard, Sunshine, etc.

What would the PM house consider to be worthwhile on an investment stand point?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any that you named. I prefer one oz. silver eagles.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silvertowne is a good brand.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • For Silver I like 1oz Canadian Maples (5$)....in silver i would always go the Coin route, but bars are tempting and just as nice, however they have little collectors value so if the price of silver drops they follow spot pricing where as coins still maintain a collector value on top of the face....just have fun with it.
    theres no such thing as a stupid question is there?
  • CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    The brands you named are all good (including SilverTowne mentioned by our Capt.)
    I would add PanAm and Scottsdale, they are nice too.

If you are planning to buy a big number of bars, I would suggest to go with the 5 ozer since they can be found with a lower premium (probably not the JM and Engelhard).
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avoid birfday, grad, crismas, and hanuka bars, particularly doze wid names and dates on dem.

bad karma.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    I'm liking the type one Mexican Libertads.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I buy silver, it comes down to what's available at a good price. I'm not choosy as to brand as long as I recognize the manufacturer. Silver is silver after all.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw in my vote for 90%. In many cases, it's cheaper than .999, as accepted if not more accepted, face value, numis value, divisible, yada yada.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When I buy silver, it comes down to what's available at a good price. I'm not choosy as to brand as long as I recognize the manufacturer. Silver is silver after all. >>

That's true. You won't get a premium for the good name bars when you sell, and unless a bar is a crudely made basement job or damaged you probably won't get less when you sell. Buy what is cheap at the time you are buying.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • If they are not gone already Texas National was selling Englehart bars yesterday for a very good price on the BST. Out of all the bullion i think Australian carries the best premiums.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When I buy silver, it comes down to what's available at a good price. I'm not choosy as to brand as long as I recognize the manufacturer. Silver is silver after all. >>

That's true. You won't get a premium for the good name bars when you sell, and unless a bar is a crudely made basement job or damaged you probably won't get less when you sell. Buy what is cheap at the time you are buying.

TD >>

How does a typical bullion company treat "crudely made basement jobs and damaged" bars or rounds? I would imagine that the damaged bars or slabs are treated as scrap but one would have to wonder if the basement job has its fully weight of silver or if it's lead with some silver coating.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.