Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yet another 1809 Bust Dime Thread

rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭
I just wanted to add my 1809 bust dime to the mix and was curious as to what others thought. I do think people are too critical of the rims. These early dimes through 1827 were struck with an open collar so they are not all even the same diameter and rims are often incomplete and very shallow. Sorry for the poor pictures, but there is the teeniest bit of luster in protected areas around the eagle which can't be seen in the pics, and the white spots on the reverse are on the slab.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    F12 or 15 is my first impression.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Looks to be about VF30 IMO.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1809 is a tough date. You have a really nice looking coin.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF-30 or 35. Way nicer than most, and choice for the grade! Congratulations! image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    VF-25-30
  • Options
    So, what's the actual grade of the dime? image
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF30... And a nice one.
  • Options
    Looks like I shot low. Lookin at it again I would say 25.
  • Options
    VF30 1809. Your grading it like a worn bust quarter brother. 1809's all look a bit more weekly struck to me.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    Yeah...but even as a worn bust quarter I should have given it a 20 probably. I was just feeling stingy at the time.
  • Options
    I think most of you were pretty close...

Thanks!

• Options
    Just in case people missed the update...
  • Options
    I think it is a fair grade, but could go VF-30 if submitted once or twice more!

Overall the coin was struck (and wore down) very evenly, which isn't seen very often on this date.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

RKP: <<.. just wanted to add my 1809 bust dime to the mix and was curious as to what others thought.>>

RKP is quoted in a recent article, with mention of this specific coin of his! While researching 1809 dimes, I learned a lot about both the overall rarity of the issue and the condition rarity of relatively high grade representatives.

Does anyone know what happened to the James A. Stack 1809 dime, which Stack's (NY) auctioned in Jan. 1990? Moreover, if any members of this forum have information about the pedigrees or appearances of the PCGS graded MS-65 and MS-66 1809 dimes, please post or otherwise communicate. Thanks, insightful10{{at))gmail.com

Dimes of 1809 – A Key in the Capped Bust Dime Series

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Very nice for the grade!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file