Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How about this copy for selling Ebay items that ship outside U.S,?

My main concern is Canada although I have had one "lost" package to Russia.

***Please note: Due to "lost" shipments to Canada and Europe we can no longer send items valued at over $100 outside the United States
at First Class rates.

Items will be sent Registered Mail requiring signature at a cost of $22 for up to 3 items in the same shipment. We regret this but PayPal
policies require proof of delivery before ruling on the buyer's behalf when a "lost" shipment claim is placed for refund.

We also request that buyers wait a minimum of 4 weeks before filing a claim of lost merchandise. We will provide the USPS tracking
number and send your shipment on it's way within 3 business days. Normal delivery is within 2 weeks, but due to long delays in customs we've had items delivered
sometimes as long as six weeks after shipment.

Thanks for your understanding...
No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    CCN - Registered mail will not protect you from fraud. It is secure, yes, but nondelivery can still be claimed.

PM sent.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Wybrit is correct, regestered mail is no protection when shipping overseas. The only way to protect yourself is to ship using Express Mail International, BUT it costs over $30 to use.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wybrit is correct, regestered mail is no protection when shipping overseas. The only way to protect yourself is to ship using Express Mail International, BUT it costs over $30 to use. >>

Agreed, Express is the best way to protect yourself, and most Express shipments only take under 2 weeks from mailing to delivery.Plus you can print Express labels directly off eBay or Paypal so that saves a lot of hassle in filling out customs forms, etc. If you use an Express Flat Rate envelope shipping to Canada is only $24.75 and I believe most other countries is only $27.95. This includes $100 of insurance, but you can then take the package to your Post Office and purchase additional insurance. The maximum amount of insurance you can purchase varies from country to country.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    If you use Express Mail International, be aware of these restrictions:

222.2 Prohibited Items in All Express Mail International Shipments
    The following items are prohibited in all Express Mail International shipments:

Coins.
    Banknotes.
    Currency notes, including paper money.
    Securities of any kind payable to bearer.
    Traveler’s checks.
    Platinum, gold, and silver.
    Precious stones.
    Jewelry.
    Watches.
    Other valuable articles.

I don't know from personal experience that a claim for a loss would be denied, but I can see it could be a problem. With regards to registered mail, be aware that you only get about $45 of coverage, regardless of what value you declare.
  • Options
    Geez-Catch 222!!

I just changed all my listings to Express Mail for items over $400 image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Use a third-party insurer like shipsurance.com and use whatever international shipping method you like (subject to the limits of your insurance contract).
  • Options
    Dan I'm looking at shipinsurance and looks as if it will cover my needs.

Have you filed any claims and if so were they handled fairly?

Many thanks for any comments.....
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    6 loss and damage claims in 4 years totalling about $300. All paid without incident.

Note that for international shipments, you need to keep your receipt from the post office that shows the parcel shipment; it's effectively proof of mailing.

The nice thing is being able to ship merchandise valued at up to $250 using 1st Class International rates (without Registered Mail) and still be able to insure. With USPS, you would be forced to use Priority Mail rates, which are crazy expensive for small/light items.

Rates are cheaper than USPS too.

When I have needed to file a claim, my process is as follows:

1. Fill out the claim form PDF (I've made a fillable version that I can type into) and send that to the parcel recipient, asking them to print it out, sign it, and either scan it in and email it to me, or send the printed copy back to me via snail mail.

2. I let the recipient know that as soon as I receive the signed form, I will issue their PayPal refund right away. The signed claim form is the key requirement for getting the claim paid. Thus far I have not had to deal with any scammers, who presumably would refuse to return the form since they're protected by PayPal anyway. I'm not sure what I would do in that instance. I have assurance from Shipsurance that as long as I originally entered the parcel as being insured and had proof of the original purchase, payment, and my subsequent refund (or PayPal/eBay forcing a refund), that the claimi would be paid even without the signed claim form.

3. Once the prerequisite waiting period is over (7 days from date of shipment for damage claims, 21 days for domestic lost shipments, 45 days for lost international shipments), I file my claim. All claims must be submitted within 120 days of the original shipment date.

4. Be sure to read the list of noncovered countries. I have set my excluded countries on eBay to match that list, and then set my eBay settings to prohibit bidders registered in countries that I don't ship to.

That's it.

It's less expensive than USPS, more flexible than USPS, and gives much piece of mind.
  • Options
    Well that's it then-the way to do it.

Very helpful Dan and thanks.