Home Precious Metals
Options

Metal detecting

I know there is another board for this, but not many visit there.
Just wondering if anyone here has any stories about their own adventure(s).

I have nothing great to speak of, but please fill us in with your fails/successes.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lordmarcovan is our resident metal detectorist extraordinaire. He used to make some really great posts with pics of found coins on the US Coin Forum but the mods started deleting them since they were "off topic".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    There was a guy that used to belong to the local coin club, he moved away. Every month he would show off his finds. He was an expert, and took trips with his metal detector club specifically to hunt for things. Sometimes they would spend a lot of time sifting through piles of dirt, instead of detecting. Old bottles, tokens, toys, odds and ends, were mixed in with a few coins. If silver was found it was a good trip. For him it was a fun hobby. Figure the time, gas money, motel bills for trips, and collecting aluminum cans to recycle from the side of the road would probably yield more in spendable money per hour. However, the fun factor, the cool factor of finding an occasional old silver coin, was well worth it for him. And once or twice a year, he would come back from a trip with a "wow" find, something way cool or possibly worth a hundred bucks or more, but he was a top expert who usually won the club competitions, and took trips specifically to hunt for things every month.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been a few years since I've really been out, but I've made some pretty cool finds. My favorite was four seated dimes within about a square yard in a park Lincoln was known to have visited. Here's the best of them:

Four or five silver 1/2 dollars (including a 1907-s and a 1918-D), a dozen silver quarters, about 60 silver dimes (six seated, a few barbers, the rest mostly mercs and some roosies). Six war nickels, a dozen buffaloes, a large cent, rolls and rolls of wheat cents, as well as coins from Israel, Ireland, Tunisia, Japan, Spain, Canada & Mexico.

I've found dozens and dozens of pieces of silver jewelry. These are just the pieces clearly marked "sterling" or .925:

A couple of gold rings, too.

I made it a practice to cash in all of my clad finds each year and use the money to buy coins I'd never find with a detector. Here are some of them:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    link to the Ming Medallion Story

this is from Lord M. it was so intriguing, I saved it.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards