Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

rotate a coin within a PCGS holder...

Is it possible to rotate a coin within the PCGS holders? Obviously the rattlers are not the issue here. If possible, how can you turn a coin so that it is properly oriented within the holder?imageimage
What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a way to tap the holder so that the coin moves inside. Unless it moves easily, I would forget it. Why risk abrading the rims.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    You can rotate coins in modern PCGS slabs by grabbing a corner (the corner depends on which way you need to rotate the coin), and solidly tap it on a table along the length of the slab (not on a slab corner where you can stress and crack the slab. It should sound like a firm door knock, not a light tap and not a heavy pounding. Bob Campbell taught me this trick at a show a while back. If you can't seem to get it rotating, I wouldn't try too hard. But, this is the method I regularly use.
  • Options
    I've seen them done by tapping a corner on a hard surface - they do rotate. One guy showing me was banging so hard, I kept saying he was going to crack the slab, he said "Nah!" Oh yeah, and when it DID crack, I had to work hard at not laughing myself off the chair! But yes, they can be tapped more gently and rotated.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought I saw something once with the vibration of an electric toothbrush rotating the coin in a slab.

Edit - I suspect it might work with other vibrating items also. image You know like washing machines and stuff.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same coin,,,, note serial number image

GrandAm

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    You can find a video of this on youtube if you're so inclined.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    YouTube Rotated Coin Video

Oh my...that one is hilarious...I couldn't find the one with the electric toothbrush...but it was MUCH easier. image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>YouTube Rotated Coin Video

Oh my...that one is hilarious...I couldn't find the one with the electric toothbrush...but it was MUCH easier. image >>

Never seen that video before, very funny. The edges might be a little bit scuffed, haha, but that sheet of paper will never be the same! It did work though.

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

Oh my...that one is hilarious...I couldn't find the one with the electric toothbrush...but it was MUCH easier. image >>

I think I'd rather have a rotated coin in the slab! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the top off your blender and
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    I've talked dealers into giving me $20 extra off on coins because they were rotated in the PCGS slabs. Then used this method to rotate it.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But can coins in the latest "pronged" NGC holders be rotated?
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    GRANDAM....the bigger the mass the more energy released...try that with a half dime.image
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GRANDAM....the bigger the mass the more energy released...try that with a half dime.image >>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rotating a coin is child's play, I can actually change the heads ----- tails position of the coin within the slab image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Never seen that video before, very funny. The edges might be a little bit scuffed, haha, but that sheet of paper will never be the same! It did work though. >>

Use caution as the slabs will DENT your table.

I prefer a washcloth over concrete.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Never seen that video before, very funny. The edges might be a little bit scuffed, haha, but that sheet of paper will never be the same! It did work though. >>

Use caution as the slabs will DENT your table.

I prefer a washcloth over concrete. >>

got any pictures of that table?
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...hmmmmmm. yes yes you must be careful so it doesn't end up lookin' like this.

imageimage
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That made me dizzy.

<< <i>Same coin,,,, note serial number image

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just speculating but it seems to me if the slab were left in the hot sun for a few hours, and then the 'tapping' thing done....it may expand the plastic the thousands of an inch needed for movement inside, even with light weight coins. Ive moved lincoln cents by tapping but not gold dollars.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigger/heavier coins are much easier, in my experience, to tap around inside a slab.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    scoobydeuxscoobydeux Posts: 498 ✭✭

<< <i>...hmmmmmm. yes yes you must be careful so it doesn't end up lookin' like this.

imageimage >>

Ahh, but the coin is centered properly, although I would consider this a minor consolation
    "Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRANDAM has serious skills!
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>just speculating but it seems to me if the slab were left in the hot sun for a few hours, and then the 'tapping' thing done....it may expand the plastic the thousands of an inch needed for movement inside, even with light weight coins. Ive moved lincoln cents by tapping but not gold dollars. >>

I put my slabs in the oven for a few hours... not only does it make it a lot easier to move the coins, it makes the coins much prettier too! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wouldnt be none to crazy about messing with coins none to much. jmho and its just me
  • Options
    Okay...just watched it again...still funny as heck. ;d
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, PCGS offers a "Rotation Correction" service if you're afraid of cracking the slab. Costs the same as reholdering.

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thought I saw something once with the vibration of an electric toothbrush rotating the coin in a slab. >>

It might have been from this eBay guide. I haven't tried it though ...

FIXING ROTATED COINS IN PCGS NGC ANACS HOLDERS
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    OK, I just tried the Sonicare toothbrush, and then tried the Oral B toothbrush. Neither moved the coin a tiny bit.

I am assuming the electric toothbrush is being used WITHOUT the actual toothbrush attached, meaning I only used the short metal shaft on the end of the handle. Thought about using the plastic part of the toothbrush head, but have not tried it. The coin is now in the freezer.

Thanks to all of you that are trying to help me.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I tap mine, I use a pad of Post It notes to prevent damage to my antique desk (not to mention the slab). Works great.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Maybe its just me but the fact that PCGS cant figure out how to make a slab that keeps the coins from rotating is kind of "scary" ? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file