Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My recommendations on building a library of books on Early Commemoratives

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's some of the best, all Out of Print.

The Ray Mercer series is just a paperback stapled booklet from the Commem Society back in the early 80's.
Ray's guides are incomplete as it only covers about 30 designs and sell for about $50-75 per copy intense info on commems.
Should be able to get on loan from the ANA Library?

James Iacovo's book sells for less then $15.00 and is still a great read even though it was written in 1979.

Swiatek's book is the first I would track down about $18-36 for a nice soft or hardback mint copy, followed by Bowers book mint $60-175 depending on soft or hardback.

There's a few more books on the series, yet the 4 mentioned are major soup to nuts with intense info.

1.) Commemorative Coins of the United States a Complete Encyclopedia by David Bowers

2.) A comprehensive guide to United States commemorative coins by James S Iacovo

3.) Commemorative Coins of the United States by Anthony J. Swiatek

4.) A buyer's guide to the grading & minting characteristics of United States commemorative coins Volumes 1 and 2 by Ray Mercer
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. I was just about to post a thread asking what should be included in a complete numismatic library, since once I get done with the CFA I plan on emptying my shelves and reloading with something worthwhile. This, obviously, will take up my commem section. Are there anymore that I should be aware of?
  • Options

<< <i>Are there anymore that I should be aware of? >>

Harry Laibstain's - Investing, Collecting, Trading Certified Commemoratives is another good one.

U.S. Commemorative Coinage by Don Taxay is mostly info covered in Bowers and Swiatek's book so that's not needed.

U.S. Commemorative Coins by Hodder & Bowers (now revised as a Whitman Redbook series) is just a basic guide... not needed.

The Authoritative Reference on Commemorative Coins 1892 - 1954 by Kevin Flynn I've not read so maybe someone else could comment?

Other then these the only thing else I know of is small pamphlets on the subject by Wayte Raymond and Max B. Mehl.

• Options
    I too _agree:

"The Encyclopedia of United States Silver & Gold Commemorative Coins 1892-1989" by Swiatek & Breen

is a _MUST HAVE !!!!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swiatek/Breen and the applicable section from the latters Encyclopedia have both proved helpful and fun reading for me. i can't remember whether it was in Baltimore or Pittsburgh, but i happened to meet Anthony Swiatek and "took up" about a half hour of his time. he was very gracious and seemed to enjoy talking about coins. my hunch is that if you have specific questions and meet him at a show he'd have answers.
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Ray Mercer actually wrote the Iacovo book. He is so knowledgeable about commems.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also David Bullowa's ANS/AJN volume, but it was written before the classic series was complete.

Edit to add: Numismatic Notes and Monographs. Number 83: The Commemorative Coinage of the United States, 1892- 1938
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've not read so maybe someone else could comment? >>

I have "The Authoritative Reference on Commemorative Coins 1892 - 1954" by Kevin Flynn, and I find it to be very useful.
    I believe he's done a lot of research and has corrected/updated mint production figure. He does a nice job of presenting the grading company totals and prices.

Bob
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My prized commem lit is the following:

Superior Aug 11, 1991
    Chicago Sale - Shepherd Commemoratives 35.00 210 1011 1796, (2) 1797 halves; patterns, extensive Commemoratives, 1792 Birch cent; extremely scarce catalog

Superior Aug 11, 1991 Chicago Sale - Shepherd Commemoratives (PREVIEW) 6.00 8 --- scarce preview describing and illustrating the highlights of the then-upcoming Chicago/Shepherd sale

Broadstruck tipped me off on this and I bought this from Preturb. He still may some a few copies.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    If he does, the price just went up...image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>My prized commem lit is the following:

Superior Aug 11, 1991
    Chicago Sale - Shepherd Commemoratives 35.00 210 1011 1796, (2) 1797 halves; patterns, extensive Commemoratives, 1792 Birch cent; extremely scarce catalog

Superior Aug 11, 1991 Chicago Sale - Shepherd Commemoratives (PREVIEW) 6.00 8 --- scarce preview describing and illustrating the highlights of the then-upcoming Chicago/Shepherd sale

Broadstruck tipped me off on this and I bought this from Preturb. He still may some a few copies.

MJ >>

Other older commem auction catalogs worthy which can not be found in web archives =

Superior Oct 11-12, 1992 Adams, MacMillan (Bill Spears collection)

Superior Jan 31-01, 1994 Rothenberger
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Just a word of caution. Many of the older books contain out of date information and tend to copy this from one author to another. Kevin Flynn spent a lot of time in the archives checking older assumptions, so you might want to start with the latest books and work backwards.

Even with that, there are untouched sources. If you check out my articles on the Maine Half (Coin World 2004) or the Alabama Half (PCGS 2010) you will find new information not published elsewhere.
  • Options
    My wife really thanks you guys, when the mail comes next week I'll have 11,004 books. That's OK, I really hate round numbers. image

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck: Your list is good. Fortunately for me, I have all of the books you've listed, in hardback! I wish Ray had the energy or interest to finish his series but he just ran out of gas in 1990.

I like the Superior's 1988 Peter Shaffer Commemorative sale. That was the first (I think) complete 144 PCGS/NGC certified set at MS65 or better. I attended two days of the sale and was stunned at some of the prices set. Those were the days when MS65 Arkansas were pop 1 or 2 coins and sold for over $4000 each.

Mitchell
    Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options

<< <i>Swiatek/Breen and the applicable section from the latters Encyclopedia have both proved helpful and fun reading for me. i can't remember whether it was in Baltimore or Pittsburgh, but i happened to meet Anthony Swiatek and "took up" about a half hour of his time. he was very gracious and seemed to enjoy talking about coins. my hunch is that if you have specific questions and meet him at a show he'd have answers. >>

In January, 1986 I ran into Walter Breen at a San Jose coin show, and had him autograph my copy of his/Swiatek's book.

Not so sure I'm proud of this, now! image
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    The best part was in the Iacovo book when he says go ahead and pay an extra 10% for the super high grades. Ha!!!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its ok to have it quattrocoin, at least ya got it image
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Editing to do list:

1.) Build Commem Set (delete)
    1.) Build Commem Book Set
    2.) Build Commem Set

Does anyone have any opinions on what would be good reference guides/books for the Commem reference guides/books set I'm going to build?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, didn't realize there were so many books on the series. So for a rookie to the series who is thinking about building a 50 coin type set some day, which is the one book I must get??? The Swiatek book?

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flynn and Taxay would be my recommendation.

Flynn for his research from Mint records and Taxay for images of drawings/molds of coins in the series.
  • Options
    Numismatic Art in America: Aesthetics of the United States Coinage by Cornelius Vermeule covers most of the commem series as well in it. This is my number one to go booj period when it come to down time/chill time................MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Numismatic Art in America: Aesthetics of the United States Coinage by Cornelius Vermeule covers most of the commem series as well in it. This is my number one go to book period when it comes to down time/chill time................MJ >>

Interesting. What does this bring to the table that the others listed already don't?
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's what I think are the best references on the classic series of US Commems:

The must-haves:

The famously thorough but incomplete series of booklets by Ray Mercer:

A shortie by James Iacovo published in 1984 (where the heck is my hard cover?):

Auction catalogs:

I can't find my copy of Larry Shepherd's sale - it's somewhere....

I have a few other auction catalogs that I have in storage: L W Hoffecker estate (Spanish Trail) and the Walter P Nichols sale (York).

Mitchell
    Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I still have the catelogue's from Larry Shepherd's sale and the Rothenberger sale in 1994.

The coins/photos are AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Fabulous collections!!!!image

Collect commems?? Find these catelogues!!!!!!!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Numismatic Art in America: Aesthetics of the United States Coinage by Cornelius Vermeule covers most of the commem series as well in it. This is my number one go to book period when it comes to down time/chill time................MJ >>

Interesting. What does this bring to the table that the others listed already don't? >>

I can't really say since I haven't read everything listed above cover to cover. All I know is the the Vermule books covers all US coinage with commems included and does so from a design side persective. Since this may already sit on many bookshelves I was just reminding others of this option. I know I learned a lot by reading the sections. MJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Interesting. What does this bring to the table that the others listed already don't? >>

I can't really say since I haven't read everything listed above cover to cover. All I know is the the Vermule books covers all US coinage with commems included and does so from a design side persective. Since this may already sit on many bookshelves I was just reminding others of this option. I know I learned a lot by reading the sections. MJ >>

Thanks. Bought it and like it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file