Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should I put my 1954 proof set in the Registry?

I have a high grade 1954 proof set that I want to sell soon, probably on eBay. After doing a little research, I learned that the PCGS guide price for this set is over $1100.

Surprised by this price, I took a look at the Registry to find out if this set was more special than I had realized. Out of over 80 1954 proof sets listed, my set would be in the top 20. Upgrading the weakest coin would put it in the top 10 or 12.

I know next to nothing about the Registry, and don't even have an account. Would registering this proof set enhance its saleability? If so, would I be smarter to upgrade a couple coins and get it closer to the top set before selling?

I realize that assembling a proof set is a tiny accomplishment compared to a series set; so, please excuse my ignorance regarding the Registry.

Comments

• Options
    The registry is free, and does not cost you anything. You have nothing to lose. However, I doubt it will increase the price you get for your coins. If you upload pictures of your coins to the registry, it may help buyers make a more informed decision, which may help you sell quicker.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Are the coins already slabbed and graded? Upgrading coins will only add the potential for lost profits.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the coins already slabbed and graded? Upgrading coins will only add the potential for lost profits. >>

Yes, the coins are already graded, that's how I know where they'll place in the Registry.

When I say upgrade, I mean replacing one coin with another coin that has already been graded higher, not submitting my current coin for a regrade.
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    A better question would be will you do better selling it as a set or as individual coins? If selling individually, I don't see how the Registry rank matters.

But, you could register the set, then 'retire' the set so at least you can always look at it online...
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.