Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Envelope

And yes it is coin related, two new coins came in this one today from the same seller as before. It was so much fun looking at some of the envelopes you guys had received I wanted to show this one before she who must be obeyed gets the trash can out.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vaguely remember some of those 13c stamps from childhood. I did a very abbreviated stint as a stamp collector.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!

I was a stamp collector in my younger days and am now using all my old stamp collection on letters such as this. It is too costly and time-consuming to try to sell them, even if one or two have some philatelic value. I hope the addressees get a kick out of them.

Last Christmas, I used up almost my entire collection of 1970's-80's UN stamps on Christmas cards. Luckily I live near the UN HQ in New York City, because you have to mail them on the premises. (They were never really intended to be used, but only collected.) Now if I could only figure out how to use the UN stamps denominated in Swiss Francs (which must be used at UN HQ in Geneva).

Edited for spelling.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing! I need a laugh just about now.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I have a few of these too. An eBayer from VT or NY would often pay me by check which were mailed in cheapo envelopes plastered with low denonination stamps.
    I'll try to find them and post images. Kind of cool looking from the oddball category perspective. Perhaps this a new collector item? image
  • Options
    Looks 4 cents short to me.

He's counting on post office ineptness to save money image
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if that envelope came from my friend Frank R, who puts out occasional large sales lists of coins, etc from all over the world, often with huge sections of German & Chinese provincial coins....... although the overlapping of the stamps does not look like his handiwork..........

My understanding is he buys sheets of old stamps at a discount from sources (not sure why they'd sell under cost, unless nobody wants to lick stamps anymore), and then plasters them all over his envelopes, etc.

He must be well-known & trusted wherever he mails them from, as items from him ALWAYS come plastered with tons of interesting & memory-jarring stamps.

In fact, the last package he sent me was flat-rate Priority Mail box completely covered in old stamps!image

I always wondered exactly how the Post Office reads/confirms accurate postage on envelopes, especially in cases where the stamps are all over. Or are those handled manually? I just recently decided to open a sheet of 34-cent stamps I had been saving, and am placing on my envelopes along with an additional 10-cent stamp. Nowadays, most payment envelopes have some bar code bars towards the top right which I'm afraid of covering with the additional stamp, but they don't leave much room for stamps there in the first place......... so I may have one stamp in the corner & the other below it or to the left & slightly lower to fit under those bars........ I wonder how the machines read/interpret so fast...............

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    No, this came form Ralph in California, a bullion guy. I can only imagine the employees are having to check them manually, even a machine might get confused with the differetn types and values.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    So...........

Ralph is either responsible for continuing to stimulate the economy by providing a demand for the employment of people vs machines to manually handle whatever he may send their way......

OR

...... he is responsible for the existence of an excess number of employees, which has aided in creating their huge deficit & possibly necessitating the closure of many Post Offices and/or restriction or discontinuance of Saturday hours and mail deliveries!!

Guess it depends on which party is putting their spin on it......

- - Daveimageimage