Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Finally organizing my 15 "FREE" submissions for 1975 Topps

Okay ... I’m looking to send my 15 “free” submissions to PSA for the 1975 Topps Set for joining the club. I’ll more than likely include a few different posts to this thread each with a handful of cards and some related questions on them. I’ll include some add’l commentary – I noticed that while the scans are great for highlighting some of the possible defects, they show some flaws that may not even exist (scanner issues, etc.).

First post for scans of a few MVP cards & a Highlight card:

1 - Jensen/Banks – the only noticeable issues are the 2 white spots on the upper right side border. The purple border may have a couple other “imperfections” as well. With such a low print run, is it worth a risk to submit? Or, do the 2 spots on the upper right immediately knock it down to 8 or lower? Last question (actually for ANY of the cards aside from Nolan to be included later), are they worth submitting to try for a 9 “with qualifier” if it’s obviously not a NQ 9?

2 - Powell/Bench – card looks really good except for the slight tilt.

3 - Mantle/Wills – card has a tilt and the 2 print spots/fisheyes on the opposite ends of the black “1952 MVP” banner. I’m somewhat confused about the fisheyes after seeing a card in another thread (1978 Topps I believe) that was a PSA 10 with a fisheye.

4 - Mantle/Aaron – card has a very slight tilt, and the line in the upper right of the pink. The line in the pink is somewhat less noticeable in person than in the scan.

5 - Highlight (Ryan) – card appears to be in great shape except for the tilt.

The most consistent flaw is that a few of the above have tilts, but somebody once said to base it on the centering at the worse point of the tilt. In all honesty, for all of the above cards, the worse part of the tilt does not appear to be any worse than 65/35 (in my UNTRAINED OPINION !!!) - except maybe the Highlights card.

So, any thoughts or advice based on the above scans is highly appreciated. I don’t want to waste any of the free submission, but if a flaw still may allow for a 9 and it would be a big “hit”, I’m willing to give it a shot.

Thanks in advance !!!
Tim

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm ... how do I get the pictures to show in the actual post? So they don't have to be opened for review?

All other message boards I have been on simply show the scans when included as attachments.

image Thanks...Tim
  • Options
    Tim, I had the same problem yesterday. What I ended up doing was to scan the card in and then use MS free resize program to reduce it to the small size. I downloaded it to a free Photobucket acct. and then copied and pasted the IMG code to the page. It worked real well for me... below is a scan tested with..

• Options
    Here is the same card but I resized it Med. and rotated it.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Jensen/Banks border imperfection looks to be too much to make it worth your while. Probably the same same for the Ryan card. The others look good (from what I can see in the scan). Good luck.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Tim, I had the same problem yesterday. What I ended up doing was to scan the card in and then use MS free resize program to reduce it to the small size. I downloaded it to a free Photobucket acct. and then copied and pasted the IMG code to the page. It worked real well for me... below is a scan tested with..

>>

Thanks for the tip ... I'll give it a try when I get a chance. I have 3 small boys (ages 4, 6 & 8), so time is incredibly tight in the Kramer household !!! image

It has taken me about 3 weeks just to go through this '75 set for the first review!
  • Options
    Thanks to Paul, this should do the trick...

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>The Jensen/Banks border imperfection looks to be too much to make it worth your while. Probably the same same for the Ryan card. The others look good (from what I can see in the scan). Good luck. >>

I agree with Mike on this.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Here are some of the star cards I'm considering submitting.

BRETT - Only issue is the two white spots in lower left border. Otherwise card is in great shape. I'm assuming it will pull an 8 or 7, which from what I've seen is probably better than a raw grade.

RYAN - Amazing card aside from the centering. I'm guessing it will get a 9 OC ... and I saw one of those sell for $60ish a few weeks ago.

ROSE - Card is in great shape except for centering and very small white print defect on lower right just under point of star. I'm assuming this should bring an 8 ... ?

FISK - Great card except for centering and pretty good size fish-eye in X in "RED SOX". Not sure about submitting this one - will those defects take it under an 8?

CARLTON - Awesome card except for two TINY white spots - one above S in PHILLIES and one halfway down right border of card in the red.

MATLACK - Maybe a 10? Don't know if centering is outside the 60/40 range.

Once again, any thoughts or obvious "what the @%$* are you thinking?" comments appreciated !!!

Tim

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Hard for me to tell with those cards inside two layers of plastic, but a few of those corners look softer to me than I think you may realize. The Cralton, for example, seems to have some fuzziness on a couple like the UL.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Tim:

Give it a try out of the plastic and with the scanner lid open. It is hard to see white tips on corners against a white background. Nice Brett.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Hard for me to tell with those cards inside two layers of plastic, but a few of those corners look softer to me than I think you may realize. The Cralton, for example, seems to have some fuzziness on a couple like the UL. >>

<< <i>Tim:

Give it a try out of the plastic and with the scanner lid open. It is hard to see white tips on corners against a white background. Nice Brett. >>

Good point ... rookie mistake! I'll redo these to let "y'all" see them better. And definitely give me some feedback on the corners once I post some clearer pictures. Thanks!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the patience everyone. Here are the "out of the holder" scans. And yes...the Carlton left corners don't look as sharp as the other cards, but also don't look quite as bad as the scan in person.

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    The l-r centering on the Fisk and Rose will probably result in a 7. The fisheye print mark on the "X" of the Fisk card would otherwise be okay up to at least an 8. I've seen some 9's with fisheyes, but I'm convinced based on the grades I've received that larger fisheyes will hold a card at an 8 tops. On the Brett, I would be more worried about the t-b centering; it looks borderline 7/8 to me.

It's still hard to see the corner tips on the cards because of the white background. So, I would scan the cards like Bosox suggested, but make sure the room is dark/dimly lit.
  • Options
    i agree with the other guys.... scan them in a dark room, with the lid up, it will give you the best scans for raw cards imo.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Appreciate all the feedback, definitely helps my focus!! However, it would help if I read closely and saw about "leaving the lid up". Here are some better scans with the dark background.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Unrelated question -- I have several thousand Topps cards from '77, '78, '79 & '80 that I was going to go through to see if there are any worth attempting to grade. Obviously, I know the main stars/HOFers are a yes. For commons, does the population report really give a good feel as to which ones would have value if PSA 9? I just know the other day I was checking out some '77s, and I saw 2 with a PSA 9 pop of 7 or 8 ... one sold for $27 (Ruthven - pop 7) and the other for $114 (Vuckovich - pop 8). I know it can be hit or miss and all it takes is a bidding war... but I was thinking about focusing on those with, oh say, a PSA 9 pop of less than 10 (31 total -- and an additional 13 have a count of 10).

Apologies for hijacking my own thread, just didn't know if this was worthy of a new topic.
  • Options
    Low pops are probably the only post 1971 commons worth grading if you aren't building the set (at least IMHO).

Scans look much better - nice Brett. The centering on a couple of the others might give me pause.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Last post with a few additional cards and questions. I'm including a couple low pop cards that look like pop 9 potential as well as a few additional cards with specific questions.

Also, for qualification grading ... is that something the graders do automatically? Or is it something you request -- I didn't see anything on the submission form.

I'm hoping for a 9 OC for the Ryan. Also, if the Rose would be to grade an 8, I'm assuming it wouldn't be upgraded with a qualifier. But if it would be to grade a 7 solely on centering, it could be graded a 9 OC ?? Just trying to get my hands around the qualifier process.

For the cards below, I'm mostly interested in the centering of the MVP cards. I know they're shifted a little to the left, and one or two have some tilt ... but enough to rule out a possible 9?

Thanks again to all for the help. I'm going to submit the 15 this week ... finally.
    Tim

imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Last post with a few additional cards and questions. I'm including a couple low pop cards that look like pop 9 potential as well as a few additional cards with specific questions.

Also, for qualification grading ... is that something the graders do automatically? Or is it something you request -- I didn't see anything on the submission form.

I'm hoping for a 9 OC for the Ryan. Also, if the Rose would be to grade an 8, I'm assuming it wouldn't be upgraded with a qualifier. But if it would be to grade a 7 solely on centering, it could be graded a 9 OC ?? Just trying to get my hands around the qualifier process.

For the cards below, I'm mostly interested in the centering of the MVP cards. I know they're shifted a little to the left, and one or two have some tilt ... but enough to rule out a possible 9?

Thanks again to all for the help. I'm going to submit the 15 this week ... finally.
    Tim
    >>

Actually, it's just the opposite on the qualifiers. The grader will assign a qualifier unless you put 'NQ' on the sub form for that card. If you put the NQ on the form, the grader will lower the grade (if possible) until the card fits. For example, a 9OC might end up a straight 7 if you put NQ.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq