Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The "synchronized" collection

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
A collecting friend (and forum lurker) and I share common interests and often compete with one another for coins. Lately, instead, we have been helping each other out, trading, assisting, and often synchronizing our collections.

In response to my purchase of this coin (earlier this year from CRO):

imageimage

showing complete disregard for what I thought his bidding ceiling should be image , he won the coin below in yesterday's Heritage auction:

imageimage

I like the look of his coin better, and despite that he stretched beyond what I thought was its fair value, I am glad that he ended up with the coin. I feel some vicarious pleasure that he added the coin to his collection. Perhaps later, I will show a couple more pairs that are from both of our collections. Coin collecting can be enjoyed as a team sport, not just an individual endeavor. image

Comments

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the look of his coin better,... >>

Me too! image
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'll start looking for a VF20...
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dripping with history; wish the coins could talk

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    There's considerable differences between that VG10 and that F12! image

I can think of a more enjoyable team sport; other than coin collecting! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was shocked to see how high the F12 went at Heritage. Nice looking coin and probably better than a F12 today

the one I have is an NGC F12- not as original looking as RYK, or I for that matter, would prefer. But still a cool piece of history

imageimage
  • Options
    Here's another pair---

His coin:

My coin:

Both ex-Eliasberg
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'all really are dopplegangers, ain't ya?

Cool coins, and cool to have somebody walking alongside in step like that. I've enjoyed a similar bond with folks whose collecting runs along parallel lines to my own, but seldom have we marched along in such close synchronicity.

Say, you'd better get a F15 or VF20 Moffat to one-up your pal, pronto! image

Edit to add- the similarities between those two C.A.R. half-escudos are almost eerie. Both lovely pieces.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the price of that F12 will not look so high after it gets a gold sticker image
  • Options
  • Options
    We just added a new pair:

1866 $20 PCGS OGH XF-45

I also have two more pairs to report:

1862-S $20 PCGS OGH XF-45
    1863-S $20 PCGS OGH XF-45

I regret to report that the Moffat pair has been broken up. The F-12 was not up to standards and was sold off. image
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I like your '54 Double Eagle better than his. On the other one's pictured, his are a tad more eye appealing.

Very nice 1/2 Escudos.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>I like your '54 Double Eagle better than his. On the other one's pictured, his are a tad more eye appealing.

Very nice 1/2 Escudos. >>

He started out with both CAR 1/2 E's, and I had both 1854 $20's, and we swapped. Naturally, the originally owner got the pick of the two, so it should follow that my 1854 $20 should be nicer than his and vice versa for the 1/2 E's. That said, I had a really difficult time picking which 1854 $20 to send him in the trade since they were nearly identical in hand. You really could have flipped a coin. I think I ended up asking my son which one he liked better (which was like flipping a coin).

From the picture, his 1/2 E looks crustier than mine, but in-hand, mine is plenty dirty and darker than the image suggests.

There is one more pair to report. We each have a dirty1866 Australian Sov in PCGS OGH XF-45. I picked up the pair at the summer St. Louis show, as reported previously. We are up to 6 pairs, unless I am forgetting something.
  • Options
    Since the coins are so similar, have you guys considered pooling your resources, buying just one of each piece, spreading the funds to more different coins and having some sort of a joint custody arrangement?
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since the coins are so similar, have you guys considered pooling your resources, buying just one of each piece, spreading the funds to more different coins and having some sort of a joint custody arrangement? >>

That sounds more complicated than marriage.image
    Great coins RYK!
  • Options

<< <i>Since the coins are so similar, have you guys considered pooling your resources, buying just one of each piece, spreading the funds to more different coins and having some sort of a joint custody arrangement? >>

That's a great idea, so long as I have possession of the coins. image

Actually, we tend to purchase coins in a price range that is comfortable for both of us, and the challenge is in finding nice coins in pairs (or pairs of nice coins). We are both enjoying the endeavor as it currently exists, and I believe that it serves to build mutual friendship and goodwill. These two attributes are often lacking in the coin hobby, which has always featured a substantial element of competition, probably now more than ever.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    What does it mean when you read a thread, find your own respsonse in it, and have no recollection of making it? image
  • Options

<< <i>What does it mean when you read a thread, find your own respsonse in it, and have no recollection of making it? image >>

You've been hacked!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now that is what a hobby is about.

enjoyable reading and imagine doing the same thing with someone or a group of people one day

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins!

Boiler78 and I do the same, but his coin IS my coin, and vice versa. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file