Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What criteria is used to determine what coins are included in a mint set?

Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
What criteria is used (or should be used) to determine what coins are included in a mint set?

Do you go with "One date/mm/denomination" for a set?
Do you go with "any design change" to warrant a position?
Do you go with "any intentional modification" to warrant a position?
Do you include "unintentional but well known varieties" into the set?

Current examples...
The 1857 mint set requires both the Large cent and the Small cent to complete the set. (Design change)
The 1909 mint set requires the Indian cent and the Lincoln VDB cent and the Lincoln non-VDB cent. (Both design change and intentional variety)
The 1913 mint set requires both type 1 & 2 Buffalo Nickels. (Design change)
The 1917 mint set requires both type 1 & 2 of quarters and the Obverse/Reverse mintmark half dollars. (Both design change and intentional variety)
The 1922 mint set does not include the No-D cent. (Excludes popular and famous unintentional variety)
The 1937 mint set does not include the 3 legged buffalo. (Excludes popular and famous unintentional variety)
The 1939 mint set has two options, one with and one without varieties.
The 1982 mint set does include the No-P dime. (Includes a popular but unintentional variety)

Comments

• Options
    Here are my thoughts...

Intentionally made varieties should be required to complete the PCGS mint set.

This would exclude the 22 No-D, the 37-D crippled buffalo and the 82 No-P dime.

This will include the design changes; 1857 Large/Small cents, 1909 Indian/Lincoln cents, 1916 Barber/Mercury dimes, etc…

This would include the intentional varieties; Lincoln VDBs/non-VDBs, Arrows and/or Rays of 1853/1873, mintmark position of 1917 half dollars, and the mintmark position of 1875 dimes.

What would be left for discussion would be the inclusion of intentional but unintentional varieties such as the reverse of 1939 nickels and the Ike dollar varieties of 1972 and 1976.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are my thoughts...

Intentionally made varieties should be required to complete the PCGS mint set.

This would exclude the 22 No-D, the 37-D crippled buffalo and the 82 No-P dime.

This will include the design changes; 1857 Large/Small cents, 1909 Indian/Lincoln cents, 1916 Barber/Mercury dimes, etc…

This would include the intentional varieties; Lincoln VDBs/non-VDBs, Arrows and/or Rays of 1853/1873, mintmark position of 1917 half dollars, and the mintmark position of 1875 dimes.

What would be left for discussion would be the inclusion of intentional but unintentional varieties such as the reverse of 1939 nickels and the Ike dollar varieties of 1972 and 1976. >>

Pretty much agree with that... keep the basic set with the intentional varities. But for each year there should be another "w/ varieties" set that folks can participate in which would include everything. For example, have a 1909 w/ varieties set that requires the 1909 DDO IHC, both DDO 1909 VDBs, both 1909-S Lincoln RPMs, the inverted S 1909 half, etc.

• Options

<< <i>Pretty much agree with that... keep the basic set with the intentional varities. But for each year there should be another "w/ varieties" set that folks can participate in which would include everything. For example, have a 1909 w/ varieties set that requires the 1909 DDO IHC, both DDO 1909 VDBs, both 1909-S Lincoln RPMs, the inverted S 1909 half, etc. >>

I still think that a "Mint Set" should include coins as they were intended to be produced. Thus include each of the intended changes.

I just don't agree that minor mistakes in production (DDOs, DDRs, RPMs, lg/sm mm, polished off mint marks/body parts) should be included as part of the mint set. These types of coins have a home in the series sets with varieties for those that like to focus on varieties and I think that is a great place for them.

I guess that if one were to consider these as more of a "Date set" than a "Mint set" then your idea to include your listed varieties would sit better with my thoughts of what a set should include.

I guess that you'll have to petition PCGS to start the "Complete Date Set" category. Then you could include all standard 1909 coins plus the variety coins you listed plus the proofs all in one set. That would be an impressive setimage

Thanks for the response!
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I agree with both of you!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess there should be both available so collectors have a choice.

I don't do mint sets, but if I did I think I would want an example of every coin minted that year including varieties in my set.