Home Sports Talk

Who's Better Chris Mullin or Reggie Miller?

recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
Mullin Stats

Miller Stats

Mullin is in the finals for HOF consideration, Miller is not.
IMO both belong in the Hall of very good.

Comments

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Miller.

Ok, I am a UCLA homer but Miller's clutch shooting was epic.
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reggie, Mullin is not even in the same discussion in my opinion!

Edited to add....and I am NOT a UCLA homer! imageimage
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both good. Mullin steadier. Miller spurts of greatness. I believe both gentlemen are involved in this discussion. image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mullin's peak was higher but Miller stayed steady longer. IMHO, neither guy belongs.

Tabe
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I think they were both good but to compare them is kind of unfair since I think that Mullin played most of his career at forward and Miller was at guard.....it would be like comparing Kareem to Alex English.
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I thought Miller was a shoe in for his first year of eligibility. They were both great and no doubt Miller will be in very soon.
  • Close call...with the edge to Mullin.

When Mullin was asked what their chances were to win the '84 Olympics, his response was, "If the beer is cold, we'll win the gold." Gotta love that from a true gym rat!
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Miller last alot longer and have a ton more clutch moments? I mean Mullin was a tremendous scorer at his peak; but didn't really stay at his peak very long. I'm a huge Mullin fan and career wise Miller's accomplishments and big moments clearly outshine Mullin. I hated Miller; but he was more than clutch. He gave the Knicks nightmares almost as much as Jordan did.

• << <i>Didn't Miller last alot longer and have a ton more clutch moments? I mean Mullin was a tremendous scorer at his peak; but didn't really stay at his peak very long. I'm a huge Mullin fan and career wise Miller's accomplishments and big moments clearly outshine Mullin. I hated Miller; but he was more than clutch. He gave the Knicks nightmares almost as much as Jordan did. >>

At his peak, Mullin was indeed a better scorer. He was also a much better passer and rebounder!

Miller probably played about four more full seasons than Mullin.

As for the "ton" of clutch moments, I think a detailed analysis of that would need to be in order before that assumption is made. Maybe some of Miller's plays got more 'play', but that doesn't necessarily make them any better.

You must also compare the number of times failing in the clutch too.

Is Miller the definition of a 'black hole'?
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    All I know is that Miller would kill the Knicks.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Always was a Mullin fan, but Miller was better.

IMO, if Miller was built a bit heavier,

"with his game"

Reggie would have been a totally unstoppable force.

rd

P.S. My fondness for Chris Mullin began watching him play in college. During those great St. Johns years!

What fun it was to watch Reggie Miller "shoot those 3-pointers" (a skinny version of Larry Bird image )
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    The problem here is that Mullin was vastly underrated for most of his career, while Reggie Miller, because of the 8-pt play in NY, and a couple big buzzer beaters in the playoffs, is maybe the overrated player of the last 20 years. Miller is certainly one the best 2-3 shooters in NBA history, but he couldn't do anything else.

For me, its a no-brainer, I'd much rather have Mullin on my team. I agree with Tabe, though, I wouldn't consider either player HOF-worthy.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    It's hard for me to judge. Mullin played the bulk of his career at Golden State so living in Chicago I didn't see alot of his games. On the other hand I saw too many of Millers games. I can say Miller was a great shooter. BUT, it seemed he got a couple of bone crushing screens from the Davis boys every offensive set to get his shot off, he didn't create his own shots. Also the highlight reel of Reggie's flashy assists or smothering defense would be a very short one.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>while Reggie Miller, because of the 8-pt play in NY, and a couple big buzzer beaters in the playoffs, is maybe the overrated player of the last 20 years. Miller is certainly one the best 2-3 shooters in NBA history, but he couldn't do anything else. >>

QFT!

If not for the Spike Lee game, Reggie would be mostly known as Cheryl's little brother, rather than a "clutch" shooter.

As for the OP question, Mullin was hands down a better overall player.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    I just don't get how Mullin could be considered better than Miller to warrant inclusion whereas Miller does not. I am not saying Miller was substantially better than Mullin but I certainly can't imagine Mullin being considered better than Miller. They were very similar level of players I would say. It doesn't compute for me. I realize you can't "compare" them since they played different positions but I just don't understand this one. Living in NorCal during Mullin's best years I understand he was a very good player for a few years; especially the Run TMC teams but Miller had lesser teammates and had to be more of a leader and did that. Plus 40% as a career 3 point shooting average, with the number that Reggie took, is really impressive.

• << <i>

<< <i>while Reggie Miller, because of the 8-pt play in NY, and a couple big buzzer beaters in the playoffs, is maybe the overrated player of the last 20 years. Miller is certainly one the best 2-3 shooters in NBA history, but he couldn't do anything else. >>

QFT!

If not for the Spike Lee game, Reggie would be mostly known as Cheryl's little brother, rather than a "clutch" shooter.

As for the OP question, Mullin was hands down a better overall player. >>

How true. For a while there, that is exactly what he was known as.
    How true. For a while there, that is exactly what he was known as.

Maybe while in college he was Cheryl's little brother but by his third year in the league (24 ppg) he established himself as a very good professional.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How true. For a while there, that is exactly what he was known as.

Maybe while in college he was Cheryl's little brother but by his third year in the league (24 ppg) he established himself as a very good professional. >>

I won't dispute Miller was a very good player. Also, I definitely didn't want the ball in his hands if they were tied or down 1-3 points at game's end.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Miller was known for his clutch shooting in the playoffs and he really became a better player as his career went on.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mullin was a fantastic offensive player who unfortunately played for the Warriors for most of his career.

Had he played on a team like the Lakers or Celtics he would been much more highly regarded.
  • Happy birthday Reggie!
  • I'm going to say Mullin, although I may be a bit biased, I was a fan of his growing up.

Mullin was absolutely deadly in his prime, around 1990-92. He had better career numbers than Ricky Pierce or Dale Ellis. Higher career points per game, higher career fg%. I think Mullin was better (slightly) than his contemporaries vs Miller.

The biggest strike against Miller is he played in small market Indianapolis, while most of the NBA spotlight in the 90's when to Chicago, NYC, Boston, LA, Houston, etc. Mullin had the benefit of being on the 92 Dream Team, which raised his profile.

Mullin had 7 straight seasons over .500 fg%. Not the easiest thing to do. Miller by contrast had only 4 seasons in his career over .500, and he played in almost 400 more career games. Miller had more 3 point clutch moments, but 3 pointers were kind of a specialty in the early 90's.
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    If Miller hadn't been fortunate enough to have a number of big moments in NY, he wouldn't be remembered as fondly as he is. But props to him, though, for taking advantage of the opportunity.

Mullin is the right answer, though.
  • Happy birthday Chris!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are in the HOF and rightfully so. Hard to say who is best.

Miller is 2nd in 3 pointers. Mullen was a .500 shooter for most of his career.

So take your pick.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I know one thing. They are both better than Barry Sanders

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>I know one thing. They are both better than Barry Sanders <<<

That is true.....they were both better basketball players than Sanders at football!