Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2011 MPL POPULATION UPDATE REPORT

For the past few years at this time of year I have reported certified population numbers for each of the nine matte proof Lincoln cents as shown on the online web sites for PCGS, NGC and ANACS. There may be a waning of interest in MATTE PROOF LINCOLNS this year compared to the previous few years but there is no doubt in my mind that this group of Lincoln proof coins will always be special and rather unique in our hobby. As we all know only 15,314 of these coins were sold to collectors by the US Mint during the period of 1909 thru 1916. Of that total we now show a total of 5,189 of these coins reported as certified by PCGS, NGC and ANACS as of March 15, 2011. This is an increase of 124 coins certified from the 5,065 reported as of March 16th, 2010.

I have created five EXCEL worksheets to report the detail information. I will be happy to send copies of these worksheets to everyone here who is interested in the details. Worksheet #1 is a summary comparison report which shows reported populations for each of the three third party graders for each of the nine dates as of April 14, 2004, March 29, 2007, March 13, 2008, March 17, 2009, March 16. 2010 and March 15, 2011. Worksheet #2 shows populations for 2011. This report is broken out by each of the nine dates and totals by each of the three TPG's. For each date the reported grade AND color designation (BN,RB,RD) the quantity certified is shown as well as the totals of ALL nine dates. Worksheets #3,4 and 5 are the same information for 2010, 2009, and 2008 which was created in prior years. With this information you can determine changes in certified quantities for each TPG by grade and color designation for each of the past three years. I have folded in the new "+" grades in the numbers.

If you want this data, please send me an EMAIL to sjcohen730@aol.com and I will email the worksheets to you as attachments shortly. I will also provide another reply to this thread with some observations on this years analysis which will also include data on the new "+" grades which PCGS and NGC now include in their population and census reporting.
Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    A few general observations about the numbers:

1909VDB MPL went up 12 this year with 9 from PCGS and 3 from NGC.

1916 MPL went up 7 this year with 6 from PCGS and 1 from NGC.

The RED MPL's continue to be very special. I noted last year that there were 945 certified RED MPL's, up from 941 in 2009 and 937 in 2008. There was NO change this year. Still 945 RED MPL's certified, but 2 more in PCGS holders and 2 less in NGC holders.

ANACS population went up a total of 8 coins from 812 to 820.

The new "+" grading is now about one year old. Surprisingly, NGC has NOT given even one "+" grade to their MPL coins. PCGS has given 21 "+" grades as follows:

1909VDB- 66RB, 67RB (Jonathan's)
    1909- 66RB
    1910- 64RB, 66RD
    1911- 65RB
    1912- 66BN, 66RB
    1913- 66BN, 66RB, 64RD
    1914- 66BN, 66RB(2), 65RD
    1915- 66BN, 65RB, 66RB(2)
    1916- 65RB, 66RB

Again, anyone interested in the details using EXCEL worksheets, EMAIL me at: sjcohen730@aol.com

Thanks,
    Steve image
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve

It is most important to read what is really going on. PCGS has only given 3 + grades to red matte proof Lincoln cents.

Who cares if NGC gives a + grade to a matte proof Lincoln ?

Stewart
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve,

Thanks for the efforts. I personally find your data interesting and valuable. Given the high value of MPLs, I'd bet that only 10% of the 124 coin increase were "new" MPLs versus crackouts/crossovers. JMHO
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could not help but notice that the last few auctions had a lot of old ANACS and NGC MPLs. I often wondered if any of these were not part of the market a couple years back. You have to admire the fact they are available and prices more reasonable.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very good of you to put this together for folks Steve.

Lots of collectors care if NGC has given a + to a MPL, not everyone just collects one type of plastic.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems like some good info here. just a shame that we really don't know how many of the coin in that pop data no longer exist (crackouts). Still neat that only a few reds have been made in the past few years (even those could all be crackouts too).
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    It's sorta interesting how the Matte Proof Lincoln cent hype has disappeared in the past year or so. If you look at the threads on this forum over the past three years you will see numerous threads about the MPL's during 2008, 2009 and even early 2010. Now they have just dried up. Interest is DEFINATELY not what it used to be when Kevin Flynn wrote his book. That lack of strong interest is also reflected in pricing as I note the PCGS guide shows a number of down prices for some MPL dates this week. Even the "holy grail" 1909VDB seems headed down based on only a $11k bid today for the PCGS64RB being auctioned in Baltimore. The PCGS guide has that still at $30k. But the real evidence for me is in this annual MPL update report I do. Only one person this year asked for the detail information. In prior years I had many more requests. I guess the MPL's are out of favor in the hobby right now. But I have no doubt that someday this nine coin series will make a comeback. These coins are just too scarce to remain unwanted for too long! JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    The last 3 years or so, I used to think of this forum as the MPL forum. Now it's almost as dead as they are it seems.
    Becky
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Becky, we are still here, its just that the craze of the pending 2009 cent and its impact on cents and MPL's in general was a big driver. All is calm now, some have sold off but the core MPL folks are still here.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.