Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1945 Saudi Arabian 4 Pound Gold Disk on eBay

Just sold on eBay for $2900 These were made by the US Mint, and have been discussed here before.

-paul
Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

Comments

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is that good? bad? ok?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I looked at it at first and was like....That thing doesn't look like it weighs 4 pounds!! image

-Paul
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>is that good? bad? ok? >>

Crazy... Major stupid money image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little high tho...
    Krause listed this piece as being less than an ounce of gold. 0.9420 AGW. With about 91K originally minted by the Philadelphia Mint. These were struck for payment to the Saudi government for oil. Most were eventually melted into bullion, making these more scarce. The off- metal struck pattern pieces are exceedingly rare.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a fascinating gold object yesterday, on a parallel level of interest. A "smuggler's" ingot of .999 fine. This 3.20 ozt (100g) ingot has carefully rounded, polished edges, supposedly for making insertion into a body cavity very painless. The face marked "Valcambi Suisse" in conjunction with the fineness designation, and 3 Tolas. The seller is employed in a field which has involved extensive travel to the Persian Gulf. Sorry, no pics.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I purchased a fascinating gold object yesterday, on a parallel level of interest. A "smuggler's" ingot of .999 fine. This 3.75 ozt ingot has carefully rounded, polished edges, supposedly for making insertion into a body cavity very painless. The face marked "Valcambi Suisse" in conjunction with the fineness designation. The seller is employed in a field which has involved extensive travel to the Persian Gulf. Sorry, no pics. >>

This one requires cleaning!!! Please!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was less apprehensive about handling this, than I have been to handle dental gold that has been presented for scrap sale. I've literally had persons come directly from the dentist's chair, in which case I have politely requested that they separate the enamel and disinfect their caps/crowns and then return.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>is that good? bad? ok? >>

Crazy... Major stupid money image >>

I would not call it crazy major stupid money ....it is gold after all. image

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I purchased a fascinating gold object yesterday, on a parallel level of interest. A "smuggler's" ingot of .999 fine. This 3.20 ozt (100g) ingot has carefully rounded, polished edges, supposedly for making insertion into a body cavity very painless. The face marked "Valcambi Suisse" in conjunction with the fineness designation, and 3 Tolas. The seller is employed in a field which has involved extensive travel to the Persian Gulf. Sorry, no pics. >>

"Parallel level of interest"?????
    I don't think so, Tim.
    Did it at least come with Tola Paper?????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< I purchased a fascinating gold object yesterday, on a parallel level of interest. A "smuggler's" ingot of .999 fine. This 3.20 ozt (100g) ingot has carefully rounded, polished edges, supposedly for making insertion into a body cavity very painless. The face marked "Valcambi Suisse" in conjunction with the fineness designation, and 3 Tolas. The seller is employed in a field which has involved extensive travel to the Persian Gulf. Sorry, no pics. >> >>

Hope it was uncirculated image
    Ed
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The Saudi gold disk sold for about 800 more than current value. It appears two bidders wanted the same item.

The total mintage of four-sovereign pieces was 91,272.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>That thing doesn't look like it weighs 4 pounds!! image >>

phew, i thought it was just me...
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The real find would be one of the 5oz gold bars made for Saudi Arabia prior to the discs.
  • Options

<< <i>I purchased a fascinating gold object yesterday, on a parallel level of interest. A "smuggler's" ingot of .999 fine. This 3.20 ozt (100g) ingot has carefully rounded, polished edges, supposedly for making insertion into a body cavity very painless. The face marked "Valcambi Suisse" in conjunction with the fineness designation, and 3 Tolas. The seller is employed in a field which has involved extensive travel to the Persian Gulf. Sorry, no pics. >>

Awesome. Can I have a slice... um... a clean slice?
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    FINENESS 916 2/3

In layman's terms, what does this equate to?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FINENESS 916 2/3

In layman's terms, what does this equate to? >>

22 Karat

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FINENESS 916 2/3

In layman's terms, what does this equate to? >>

91.6666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666667% pure goldimage

493.1 Gross weight * 91 2/3% = 452.008333 grains pure gold.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    It's 1.127086 oz. of gold.

Pretty expensive. APMEX sells them
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    29.2896794944 grams of pure gold . . . So almost 2g shy of a troy ounce.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file