Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Raw 1834 half dollar grade opinions. *Edited* Graded problem free PCGS MS64 !!

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sorry for the crappy images..

Comments

• Options
    Looks Unc. to me, MS-62 to 63 maybe from the images which aren't the best as you said. Dipped, but the luster still looks pretty good as far as I can tell in the images. Nice Coin!
    Can't never Could!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry for the crappy images..

image >>

Looks cleaned or at least dipped. A bright white untoned coin that's 177 years old looks totally unnatural. It would be interesting to see if PCGS would slab it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Looks cleaned or at least dipped. A bright white untoned coin that's 177 years old looks totally unnatural. It would be interesting to see if PCGS would slab it >>

I wish I had skill imaging this coin. It has full bloom mint luster imo. Of course without decent images talk is cheap.image I might try to reimage it later on.
    I really do appreciate any grading opinions...bad or good.
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    well struck, lustrous, dipped to be sure but I don't see hairlines and suspect that there are dust flecks that one could misconstrue as bag marks. hit to chin will costa couple points. though she's got full luster, it doesn't seem to have flash which should keep her from getting above a 63. the toning on the reverse is a negative and (oh, my!) she probably needs a quick dip to address that before being tucked away in an album for a long while.

Bottom line, this coin has not spent time as someone's pocket piece!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks MS63-ish. Obviously dipped but it sounds like it wasn't over done. A blast white CBH is, well, different.

Not crazy about the stain or odd toning at 50c. Maybe that's a picture or flip problem and not on the coin?

Is there a story to the coin?

Are you going to get it graded?
    Lance.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    It looks dipped, improperly rinsed, doesn't look whizzed... I agree with MS63 and think it would probably slab, if authentic.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there are no hairlines, it can probably be slabbed. I've seen similar coins from this era in PCGS slabs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Not crazy about the stain or odd toning at 50c. Maybe that's a picture or flip problem and not on the coin? >>

The toning is on the coin.

<< <i>Are you going to get it graded? >>

Well maybe...My local dealer is making me a stupidly strong moon money offer on the coin raw. I really don't want to sell it and would like to submit it to PCGS. But damn potenial obsence profits are getting in the way.image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not crazy about the stain or odd toning at 50c. Maybe that's a picture or flip problem and not on the coin? >>

The toning is on the coin.

<< <i>Are you going to get it graded? >>

Well maybe...My local dealer is making me a stupidly strong moon money offer on the coin raw. I really don't want to sell it and would like to submit it to PCGS. But damn potenial obsence profits are getting in the way.image >>

Take your profit.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    If the coin is real, can someone give the Overton number. I do not think the coin is real. It does not match any photo in the Red Book. The RB shows for this date LARGE and SMALL letters revearse. This coin does not match either the LARGE or SMALL date either-so what is it? Also, are the stars supposed to have centrals?
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Why does it appear to have an "o" over the "E" in "E PLURIBUS UNUM?"
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a O-114, On that marriage the "E" has been recut which might be what is causing the odd look.
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options

<< <i>Why does it appear to have an "o" over the "E" in "E PLURIBUS UNUM?" >>

It is an "E" and not an"O", but it does look strange. It looks like the "E" is hammer struck and "LUR" in PLURIBUS is vey weak struck. Then area inbetween the "E" and "PLURIBUS" looks strange.

edited to add: You have a good eye noticing that strange looking "E" Steve27.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like a O-114, On that marriage the "E" has been recut which might be what is causing the odd look. >>

That would explain the "strange" looking area to the right side of the "E" and the super hammered look of the "E".
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Take your profit. >>

• Options
    I probably should take the profit. It's just all that creamy luster in the fields and the hammered devices makes me want to add it to my collection. Sometimes it is not about the money.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a 63 to me. I see nothing that would indicate the coin is not genuine, even given
    the blurry images.

Why not send it in for grading -- your local dealer will still be interested after it gets back, I
    would imagine.
  • Options
    ttt for the night crew.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the obverse image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>Where's the obverse >>

Should be in first post.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your goal is to collect untoned/dipped-white MS CBH's then keep it. It sounds like a honey, in-hand.

OTOH, the date is not a tough one and there are many pretty examples to choose from. Me, I'd take the profit without thinking twice. And look for a cool substitute.

This isn't as high grade as yours (PCGS AU55) but I like the look.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Where's the obverse >>

Should be in first post. >>

Finally loaded after a few visits.

Looks UNC to me too.

Not a coin I'd buy as it looks too much like a Gallery Mint issue.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Curious whether the dealer's offer is at or near $1500 which is in line with greysheet ms63 - $1700+ as of Feb 2011. If so, can't help but wonder if dealer sees her as shot 64 ($2950-)
  • Options
    The dealer offered me $1,600.
  • Options
    It's definitely been dipped but PCGS would certainly still grade it.

If those pictures are accurate, it is at least a 64 and quite possibly a Gem. If you're willing to ship it to me and I find that the pictures are indeed accurate, I think I could beat the dealer's $1600 offer by a worth-while margin.

My only concern is the dark spot on the reverse. Is it eaten into the coin?
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That dark spot, to me at least, might be a problem as it should have
    been removed with the dipping. If it has toned post dip in just that area, the
    metal, in that area has a different skin than the rest of the coin - again a problem.
    Look really close at that area.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would get it graded yourself, find out if you've got a 64. If so, sell it ! If not, sell it anyway.
    You could get a nice run of AU's with that oh so desireable original look, like Ikeigwin's, to take your mind off the loss.
  • Options

<< <i>If those pictures are accurate, it is at least a 64 and quite possibly a Gem. If you're willing to ship it to me and I find that the pictures are indeed accurate, I think I could beat the dealer's $1600 offer by a worth-while margin. >>

Give me the weekend to think it over.
  • Options
    I ended up selling it to a dealer friend of mine. A few weeks later at my local coin show he showed it to me and it was in a problem free PCGS MS64 holder....oops!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file