Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good Enough Reason to Buy!

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
When I first saw these, I kinda poopooed the idea but being a Kennedy Collector working on a Complete PCGS Graded Set, I got to thinking.

First, modern proof Kennedy's are readily available and fairly cheap as long as you don't shoot for the PR70DCAM Slabs. As such, I always hesitated in purchasing them simply because I figured they'd always be available when I was ready to commit the funds.

Secondly, I suppose I could have submitted a big batch but then, as with above, I simply didn't want to commit the time or resources for something so readily available and easily obtained. I also could have received several PR68DCAM's or worse.

So I simply put it off.

Then along comes these new slab labels:

image .. image

image .. image

image .. image

All have the Kennedy Portrait on the reverse and the coins are slabbed so that the Obverse matches the Portrait side and the Reverse sits on the label side. A bit bass-ackwards but so what? Sellers are selling these in 10 years lots and the prices were way better than purchasing a standard proof coin one at a time.

Needless to say, I then set about filling all my proof slots for my registry since I have no idea how long this particular promotion will be offered to Authorized PCGS Coin Dealers and I was truly bitten by a bug!

My thinking was that since I needed just the slightest of pushes to get moving on the Proof Kennedy's, this was as good a reason as anything else! As a result, I've filled all my slots including some PR70DCAM's.

image .. image

image .. image

As a side note, even though these are PR69DCAM's, folks on ebay don't seem to bid them as if they were real PR69DCAM's! The few PR70DCAMs I've managed to win via auction, have all been way under priced as well.

So anyway, there you have it. Just another subset of collecting modern coins that somebody dreamed up which will hopefully generate some interest to moderns collectors that have been putting off the purchasing of their proofs. (Like Me!)

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    Retitled for perhaps some comments.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice labels, though I'm sure they could have found a better image of JFK to place on them.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>Nice labels, though I'm sure they could have found a better image of JFK to place on them. >>

I kinda like the pic chosen , it makes it appear he is looking down from above on his own effigy on the coin in a somewhat thoughtful maybe manner..i like it image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice labels, though I'm sure they could have found a better image of JFK to place on them. >>

That pic was taken soon after he heard about the Bay of Pigs.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    As the Bopper would say, "Ugh! Hairyheads!"

(That is an attractive presentation tho. I can't wait for the appearance of the Conder101 "Kennedy Insert Generations -LONG THREAD! " thread ! )
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    The picture on the label is his official White House portrait.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    My Bill Clinton ASE has developed milk spots

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>My Bill Clinton ASE has developed milk spots >>

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    very nice holders. They did a good job with the positions of the coins. well done PCGS. image
  • Options
    I do like those. I think I will eBay some of the older format and perhaps bid on a few 10 coins sets. Thanks for pointing them out. image
  • Options

<< <i>The picture on the label is his official White House portrait. >>

Correct!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

Cool info.
    I missed this thread originally.

I won't go for a complete set of these but I think I'll at least look for a nice 2011 for my set if only for the novelty of it.
  • Options

<< <i>I missed this thread originally. >>

You weren't alone.

Note the original post date of March 15th?

Then my "Retitled for perhaps some comments." post on June 24th?

I actually had a bit of fun with these in that waiting for a 1964 to roll around seemed like it took forever.
    When it showed up as an Accented Hair, I bid fairly strong money.

What I would have really liked, is for PCGS to have completed the set by including the 1965, 1966 and 1967 SMS Coins since they ARE, after all, a part of the Proof collection.
    But it never happened.

Whatever, the label gave me a good enough reason to purchase the Proof Kennedy's.

Whoops, I forgot to add something which happened.

I bid on and won the 1970-S PR68DCAM coin but the seller screwed up the order and instead sent me a PR69DCAM 1970-S! WooHoo! I'd like to have kept it since I only paid $68.95 but I just could not have done that in good conscience to anybody much less Seth Woods from Coinfame.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I get mifed too when coin threads drop into the abyss after 3 reply s from the same buddies I PMed and pre-talked about the thread but the most random loosely coin based threads get hundreds of reply's. Put CAC in your title

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file