Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Centering Discussion

I would like to pick others' brain on how they go about determining centering.

is it a straight "get out the ruler" and measure?

Some years are tougher then others, one year that sticks out to me is the 1980 Topps Set.

How would YOU go about picking out the best centering for these issues?

1980 Topps

1981 Topps

1982 Topps

1983 Topps

1984 Topps

1985 Topps
Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭
    I am relatively new to this, but here is what I do:

Scan at high dpi, zoom in on the card until it fills the screen and then measure with JR Screen Ruler.

JR Screen Ruler

This definitely seems more accurate than using a ruler, however I have heard that the graders only eyeball it, so maybe it's all for naught.

Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy

• << <i>I am relatively new to this, but here is what I do:

Scan at high dpi, zoom in on the card until it fills the screen and then measure with JR Screen Ruler.

JR Screen Ruler

This definitely seems more accurate than using a ruler, however I have heard that the graders only eyeball it, so maybe it's all for naught. >>

oh, that is a nice tool indeed!

But more along the lines of what im asking..... is there any real documentaion as to what constitues "centered" for each particular year? perhaps im not making
    myself clear. im away from home, so cannot provide pictures to explain at the moment.

Lets take 1984 Topps as an example... i see many "PSA 10"'s on ebay, each with a different degrees of centering. i realize that psa allows for some leway as far as
    centering goes, but i personally want to have my set all centered the same way. i realize that that is easily soved by "just pick centering how YOU want it to be",
    but i like to hear what others have to say on this issue.

• bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am relatively new to this, but here is what I do:

JR Screen Ruler

This definitely seems more accurate than using a ruler, however I have heard that the graders only eyeball it, so maybe it's all for naught. >>

oh, that is a nice tool indeed!

But more along the lines of what im asking..... is there any real documentaion as to what constitues "centered" for each particular year? perhaps im not making
    myself clear. im away from home, so cannot provide pictures to explain at the moment.

Lets take 1984 Topps as an example... i see many "PSA 10"'s on ebay, each with a different degrees of centering. i realize that psa allows for some leway as far as
    centering goes, but i personally want to have my set all centered the same way. i realize that that is easily soved by "just pick centering how YOU want it to be",
    but i like to hear what others have to say on this issue. >>

I see what you're saying. For sets where there isn't an obvious "box" containing all the content, maybe because of names/logos, etc. what DOES define centered.

I've wondered that a lot regarding my 1970 set, as the names in script vary a lot depending on descenders like lower case 'f','g','y'.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭
    I need to read more carefully next time!
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy

• << <i>I need to read more carefully next time! >>

no way Brother! that wasnt what i was getting at. Plus, that link you provided was something that ive never seen before. Learn something new all the time, i love that!

• << <i>For sets where there isn't an obvious "box" containing all the content, maybe because of names/logos, etc. what DOES define centered.

I've wondered that a lot regarding my 1970 set, as the names in script vary a lot depending on descenders like lower case 'f','g','y'. >>

exactally! if i were to target the 1970 set, id probably focus on the upper left and right hand corners, trying to have the top and side borders as even
    to each other as possible, if that makes sense

i will use this ebay image:

if i were adding this card, i would want it to be UP and to the RIGHT just a smidge more
  • then theres the card backs to deal with

<< <i>

<< <i>For sets where there isn't an obvious "box" containing all the content, maybe because of names/logos, etc. what DOES define centered.

I've wondered that a lot regarding my 1970 set, as the names in script vary a lot depending on descenders like lower case 'f','g','y'. >>

exactally! if i were to target the 1970 set, id probably focus on the upper left and right hand corners, trying to have the top and side borders as even
    to each other as possible, if that makes sense

i will use this ebay image:

if i were adding this card, i would want it to be UP and to the RIGHT just a smidge more >>

Agree, but I've seen 8's with a LOT more border at the top than bottom, almost as if they DON'T include descenders but instead use the position. It all adds to my confusion as to how PSA uses exemplars on cards.

----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • 1980 Topps...

imageimage

this SEEMS to be pretty much what the centering should look like. Although both are well centered, they both seem to have registration issues,
    hard to tell from a scan. the one on the right has a bit too much snow for my liking. i CAN live with the fish-eye in the "K" in his sig on the card on the left.
  • "Eyeball it, as that's what PSA does. After going through tens or hundreds of thousands of cards the good ones just POP!"

this is something that im going to have to train my eyes to do.

i just measured what looked like a centered 1980 Topps. got out a ruler, and it's 1/8"thick on both the left and right side border from the edge of the line, to the edge of the card. im pretty happy with that, and have something to look for when it comes to L/R centering.

T/B on the 1980 Topps is a little trickier, and i have to come up with something that im satisfied with
  • ok, here are my "Testers" as far as how i will build my sets for centering:

• cool. i just spent an hour going over my '82TT set (i have one without a Ripken or Smith) and was able to find 13 cards (out of the 130 possible) that were able to make the first cut. Since this is the first time im doing this, i know i'll go over those 13 again sometime in the future.

<< <i>cool. i just spent an hour going over my '82TT set (i have one without a Ripken or Smith) and was able to find 13 cards (out of the 130 possible) that were able to make the first cut. Since this is the first time im doing this, i know i'll go over those 13 again sometime in the future. >>

How are you doing it? Did you make a transparent template?
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• << <i>

<< <i>cool. i just spent an hour going over my '82TT set (i have one without a Ripken or Smith) and was able to find 13 cards (out of the 130 possible) that were able to make the first cut. Since this is the first time im doing this, i know i'll go over those 13 again sometime in the future. >>

How are you doing it? Did you make a transparent template? >>

eye-balling them and using a clear ruler when needed (which is often, as im just learning)