Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Buffalo Nickel and Walking Liberty Varieties

I sent PCGS my first order of the year on 1/31/2011. I included three separate submissions in a single parcel (saves on shipping/insurance). It was a mixed bag, including two additions and one upgrade for my Complete Buffalo Nickel Variety Registry set and three additions to my varieties only Complete Walking Liberty Half Dollar Variety Registry set, plus a few more buffalo nickels. The last submission posted a few days ago and the results are below. For images and more commentary, please visit a soon to be completed blog post on my soon to be announced Buffalo Nickel Variety web site and blog image

Buffalo Nickel Varieties
5C 1913 T1 3 1/2 Legs, VG08. Pop 1/5. An addition to my set! image Initially purchased unattributed and raw on Ebay.
5C 1913-D PCGS MS64 T-1 FS-401 2 Feathers. Pop 4/0. Pop top! image Initially purchased unattributed and raw on Ebay. For more information on the 1913-D T-1 2F variety, please visit my blog post.
5C 1918 PCGS VF25 2 Feathers FS-401. Pop 2/2. Purchased unattributed and raw on Ebay. An upgrade to my set. image
5C 1918 PCGS G06 Double Die Reverse FS-801. Pop 1/3. Purchased unattributed and raw on Ebay. For more information in a rather rambling commentary please visit my blog post, 1918 DDR: The Question.
5C 1929 PCGS MS64+ DDO FS-101. Pop 1/1. An addition to my set! image Purchased unattributed in an NGC MS64 holder at a Bowers and Merena auction. I broke the coin out of the holder before submission. For more information please visit 1929 Double Die Obverse.
5C 1936-D PCGS MS65 RPM FS-502. Pop 14/9. Purchased unattributed and raw on Ebay.

With the above additions, I have all the Lesser Known Varieties that PCGS attributes except for two: the 1915-S/S FS-502 and 1920-D/D FS-501, both of which have a PCGS population of 0! Guess it’s time to find those two image (and a 1916 DDO which I also need)

Walking Liberty Half Varieties
50C 1941-S PCGS AU58 RPM FS-501. Pop 1/2. Purchased unattributed in an NGC MS64 holder. I broke it out of the holder before submitting. I’m disappointed in the grade and can not find any rub. For a 1941-S it is well-struck with full skirt lines. An addition to my set image
50C 1944-D PCGS MS65. Hand Engraved Initials FS-901. Pop 30/20. An addition to my set image This is a very interesting variety. Apparently, the mint abraded off the designer’s initials (AW), probably because of a die clash. They then realized they shouldn’t have, and tried to put them back on. That must have been quite a challenge – very small letters on a very small, hard steel die, likely without proper engraving tools or work environment. Besides, how do you get raised metal on the die so that the initials are recessed on the coin? An addition to my set image
50C 1945 PCGS MS64 Missing Designer’s Initials FS-901. Pop:1/0. New Pop Top! An addition to my set! image Purchased unattributed on Teletrade.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50C 1945 PCGS MS64 Missing Designer’s Initials FS-901. Pop:1/0. New Pop Top! An addition to my set! Purchased unattributed on Teletrade.

That is a great coin; congratulations! I've been the only one so far with a Mint State PCGS example, and it's only a 62.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭

<< <i>50C 1945 PCGS MS64 Missing Designer’s Initials FS-901. Pop:1/0. New Pop Top! An addition to my set! Purchased unattributed on Teletrade.

That is a great coin; congratulations! I've been the only one so far with a Mint State PCGS example, and it's only a 62. >>

Thanks Dennis, it had the least initials of any I have seen (if you tilt the coin just right you can see a hint of a small part of the initials). I have another with more of a hint that I may submit.

Most of the Walker varieties have very low pops, but you have almost all of them, including the 1946 ddo. The pop report does not list any 1946 ddo's but your set indicates you have one and that there are three better. Any idea what's going on?

Enjoy!