Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Early proof coin production experts... answer me this: (plus a little more proof large cent eye cand

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I have this 1854 Proof Large Cent with seemingly contradictory features. I have partially described the coin as such:

Strike is incomplete at the right obverse in spite of a complete wire rim... (and) Fine lines up to left from the dentils under 54 and star 13 confirm the earliest die state, which John Grellman (2001, p. 353) says is "rare."

It would seem (to me) that these features are a contradiction, although it has been suggested to me that unevenness in the upsetting mill process could be the culprit.

So how exactly is it that this can occur?

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    That's really a shame... awful! Would $100 take it off your hands? If that's acceptable, you can send me the $100 via PayPal! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Presence of a fin (aka “wire rim”) does not define a “proof” coin.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has already been determined to be a proof.

Planchet was not uniform thickness?
    Lance.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Likely made on the old medal press (a screw-type press). Uneveness was common.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't answer your question but I can say this: NICE COIN! image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Eye candy indeed!image
    Becky
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Matt, this is just an opinion, but I wouldn't call this a contradiction, it's just
    the state of mint production at that time.

I assume this is the N-12 , which produced the proofs for that years issue.
    If you look at the N-12 business strike in the Naftzger Collection Goldberg
    Sale catalog, it has the exact same features as your coin & is an MS-66 BN.
    The two PR-64RB examples in Coinfacts also have the same features.
    This is the way the coin was made, hubbed, die prepared, date repunched,
    die lines left, dentils crudely made & then struck for proofs and business strikes.

My guess is that the Mint had other things on their minds than making great
    coinage to finish off the Large Cent issues.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding of an "upsetting mill" is that of a machine which imparts uniform pressure to the planchet edge (by rolling?) so as to create a thicker "lip" around the edge of the planchet. So I take it that the planchet is originally of a larger diameter than that of the collar until it is fed through the upsetting mill, but will hence fit properly in the collar. Furthermore, the presence of a raised rim on the planchet aids in filling out the rim on the coin.

So... and please correct me if I misunderstand... in theory the milled planchet could be too thick on one side, resulting in the rim being overpressed yielding a wire rim, and also making it harder for the die to fully impress features in the fields near the rim, such as denticles and star centers. Perhaps this is the source of the mis-alignment?
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    sweetness!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Generally incomplete stars are grease filled rather than poor strike. I'd say he was cleaning the starts, got 8 done and then got distracted. And oh yea, he didn't do a good job on #5 either. Fire that guy. --Jerry
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin, and interesting theories posted by the members, especially renomedphys's - I had to really ponder that, but
    it does make good sense, and seems to be the best fit judging by the look of the coin.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that if the collar is not set quite close enough, it would explain both the ease with which the coin (in being struck) expanded beyond the face of the die (creating the wire rim), and the weakness in strike adjacent to the wire rim. I would want to compare the coin to others to see if the wire rim and weakness are in exactly the same places on all coins, or if there's some variation. If there's any variation, I'd lean towards the collar being the primary culprit, not the dies.

BTW, notice how star 5 is also weak? This could possibly be similar to the Blakesley effect often seen on coins struck on clipped planchets. The reduced collar pressure at 4 o'clock could lead to a weakness in strike at 10 o'clock.

Then again, I'm just making this stuff up...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Here's a selection from Coinfacts. All 1854 N-12.

PR-64RB

PR-64RB

PR-64RB

PR-63BN

MS-66BN

These were all struck by the same die pair.
    They each have the same weak side right stars, the same die lines under the date,
    and the same knife edge to an extent and the same repunched 1 in the date
    that is visible depending on die state. The MS-66BN has less of a knife edge due
    to advanced die wear.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    They don't all have the same degree of weakness. The second one appears to be your coin. The fourth looks most similar to me. The first and third coin have much stronger detail on the stars. THe MS example also looks to match your coin's pattern.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Likely made on the old medal press (a screw-type press). Uneveness was common. >>

What he said.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could be a weak strike with new dies. In fact the first struck coin with a new set of dies could
    still be weak strike. The result would be a coin showing VEDS details where fully struck and flatter details
    where weakly struck, this being struck on the older presses as mentioned.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Decide to bump this thread since it talks about star weakness in large cent proofs with certified pcgs examples and opinions of reasons. This is bump is just for reference to my 1837 large cent thread.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    Read this thread before commenting on the stars of my large cent.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a coin! image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Read this thread before commenting on the stars of my large cent. >>

You make an exccellent point. It does not seem to be mandatory on Proofs. Why, I do not know.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file