Options

OSU Press Conference

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
Is Tressel gone?

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Is Tressel gone? >>

If it's true that he knew much earlier than he has stated, then he should get the axe.

But, OSU is pretty good at circling the wagons.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    "I'm DVR'ing it!"

Sincerely
    Maurice Clarett
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I'm DVR'ing it!"

Sincerely
    Maurice Clarett >>

Gee, someone from Detroit talking smack about the Buckeyes... shocker!

Don't worry, Ohio State could beat Michigan even if they had Charlie Sheen as head coach. Hell, they might do BETTER with Sheen. image
  • Options
    All in good fun....and yes, making fun of Ohio State is fun.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NCAA will come down much harder on Tressel as they should. I may be in the minority but I would rather lose with honor and dignity than deliberately violate the rules to win.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    He only has to miss games against Akron and Toledo....image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    2 games is a joke. I hope the NCAA comes down hard on him. He KNEW of the violation and did not divulge the information. For a head coach, in my opinion, that is just dispicable!
  • Options

<< <i>2 games is a joke. I hope the NCAA comes down hard on him. He KNEW of the violation and did not divulge the information. For a head coach, in my opinion, that is just dispicable! >>

But he did make a point in the presser to point out that he's too good a person to expect sympathy. image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    ....edit.... image
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2 games is a joke. I hope the NCAA comes down hard on him. He KNEW of the violation and did not divulge the information. For a head coach, in my opinion, that is just despicable! >>

And then to sit there at the press conference and claim he thought he was doing the right thing while simultaneously saying he didn't know who to tell. SERIOUSLY?! Look, the guy had major violations at Youngstown State, OSU LEADS THE NCAA in football violations over the last decade, and he's going to claim that he thought NOT telling someone was the right thing? C'mon. And then LYING to the NCAA about it too? Yeah, Jim, you're just a paragon of virtue.

Tabe
  • Options
    ESPN Article I think Tressel did the right thing, and he did what was in the best interest of the safety of the players. Go ahead and rake him through the coals, you people just enjoy seeing people burn.
  • Options

<< <i>ESPN Article I think Tressel did the right thing, and he did what was in the best interest of the safety of the players. Go ahead and rake him through the coals, you people just enjoy seeing people burn. >>

That's why the schools have legal counsel and compliance officers - so the coach doesn't have to play amateur lawyer and decide what's best. What I have read him say had little to do with the players' safety and everything to do with not messing up the investigation. I can't figure out how the players were in any danger, unless you include the danger of getting in trouble. His contract clearly spelled out what he was supposed to do in this situation, and he chose another path.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    I am hearing that the AD was aware of it as well....and didn't say anything.

Tsk, tsk....good thing for the Blue Jackets.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>ESPN Article I think Tressel did the right thing, and he did what was in the best interest of the safety of the players. Go ahead and rake him through the coals, you people just enjoy seeing people burn. >>

And just what, precisely, is the 'right thing' to which you are referring? Hiding news of these violations from OSU administrators?
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

And just what, precisely, is the 'right thing' to which you are referring? Hiding news of these violations from OSU administrators? >>

He's delusional. He's bought in to all of the excuses made up for the press conference. I assume that he hasn't read the letters yet or I suspect he might be singing a different tune... or not saying anything at all.
  • Options
    So is it unfair of me to think that the severity of these "wrong doings" pale in comparison to the crap that goes on in the NCAA every day? This punishment DOES NOT fit the crime. Not by a long shot.
  • Options

<< <i>So is it unfair of me to think that the severity of these "wrong doings" pale in comparison to the crap that goes on in the NCAA every day? This punishment DOES NOT fit the crime. Not by a long shot. >>

Explicit contract langauage and clearly-written rules are designed to minimize situational ethics, which is what most folks tend to practice. His job responsibilities, according to both his contract and the NCAA rules, are clear in this case: report anything and let us decide what's a big deal and what's not. Are you REALLY suggesting that coaches should be able to make their own determinations as to what's reportable and what's not? Or only in this case?
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>So is it unfair of me to think that the severity of these "wrong doings" pale in comparison to the crap that goes on in the NCAA every day? This punishment DOES NOT fit the crime. Not by a long shot. >>

That's completely irrelevant. I don't think what Pete Carroll did at USC was anything unusual in the scheme of things, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have been fired if he hadn't bolted for the Seahawks. But if your excuse is 'everyone else is doing it', then hey- I guess the discussion stops there. Good luck to your Buckeyes next year.
  • Options

Another take on this too: If Tressel was concerned about the ongoing FBI investigation and didn't want to interfere, then clearly he knew that SOMEONE considered it a big deal. I don't personally think that actions that are a part of an FBI investigation, regardless of how minor a part they actually are, should be considered "no big deal".

And I agree - the punishment does not fit the crime. Having to miss two Saturdays against Akron and Toledo is about the smallest punishment a coach can get, isn't it?
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options

<< <i>And I agree - the punishment does not fit the crime. Having to miss two Saturdays against Akron and Toledo is about the smallest punishment a coach can get, isn't it? >>

That's not what I'm talking about. The rumor mill is saying they could lose all of their wins from last season. Of course, that would be the only way Michigan can get a win against OSU any time soon. image
  • Options

<< <i>But if your excuse is 'everyone else is doing it', then hey- I guess the discussion stops there. >>

I never said "everyone else is doing it". My point is, why would they waste their time with players trading memorabilia for a couple hundred dollars worth of tattoos, when there are players receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to certain schools. Are players even allowed to receive a Christmas gift from their mommy? or would that be a player "making money"? It's all horse sh!t...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>But if your excuse is 'everyone else is doing it', then hey- I guess the discussion stops there. >>

I never said "everyone else is doing it". My point is, why would they waste their time with players trading memorabilia for a couple hundred dollars worth of tattoos, when there are players receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to certain schools. Are players even allowed to receive a Christmas gift from their mommy? or would that be a player "making money"? It's all horse sh!t... >>

So you mean players like Clarett, Hawk and Pryor? OSU fans say that it's happening everywhere else, but then discount these stories. I suspect most programs have these kinds of things going on to some level. I think OSU probably has more than others, but their AD's comments the other night lead me to believe nobody is going to be held accountable unless Tressel decides to force the issue. His (Tressel) shoveling this recent infraction under the rug proves he has no intention of ever doing... so unless he's caught first.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

As any politician can tell you, it's not the crime but the cover-up that sinks your ship.

Tressel needs to go.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think OSU probably has more than others >>

In the last decade, OSU has more violations in its football program - 375 - than any other school in Division 1-A. Most were admittedly minor but...

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>

As any politician can tell you, it's not the crime but the cover-up that sinks your ship.

Tressel needs to go. >>

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a lifelong Buckeye fan I must say I am dissapointed in this conduct. Perhaps I am assuming too much but the question comes to mind, if these were 2nd or 3rd teamers would Tressels' response been different? If Tressell was only moderately successful would the administration have the same reaction? The fact is he played these guys all year knowing they would in all likelyhood been ineligible. I agree the punishment does not fit the crime. I don't like changing the outcome of games after the fact but two games and $250,000 is a slap on the wrist. I could see a full years suspension being about right. As to those who compare his transgressions with more serious allegations at other institutions I feel we are not other institutions. I expect more from our personnel. If a child is caught shoplifting you don't simply say it's not a big deal, in fact some kid down the road was caught breaking and entering. With the number of kids on a team there will no doubt be problems to deal with. This is true anywhere. The real problem is as has been stated, the cover-up.

Another thing. The NCAA is full of hypocracy. Allowing these guys to play in the Sugar Bowl shows their priorities.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a fun thread as long as you self-righteous knuckleheads know the crap about these "violations" is much to do with nothing. worse goes on all the time and in a strange sort of way the "athletes" at colleges are given more than what these guys "sold" to such a degree that it's laughable. they "sold" their own possessions, it's ridiculous. if they had "sold" a television set or a car would the same thing be going on??
  • Options

<< <i>this is a fun thread as long as you self-righteous knuckleheads know the crap about these "violations" is much to do with nothing. worse goes on all the time and in a strange sort of way the "athletes" at colleges are given more than what these guys "sold" to such a degree that it's laughable. they "sold" their own possessions, it's ridiculous. if they had "sold" a television set or a car would the same thing be going on?? >>

Well I guess if someone is naive enough to confuse the two situations, then maybe so... They benefited from trading/selling items that only had worth because of their position. The NCAA has to monitor this stuff because it actually does mean something. If these guys were playing for Northwest Christian School for the Developmentally Challenged, their jerseys probably wouldn't hold the value that they do for playing for a major university. Further, how is a value even really determined? The NCAA has to try to create a fairly level playing field. If guys start deciding to go to a school because they know that their OSU jersey will sell more than an Akron jersey, there's an issue. Are players then going to start negotiating how many jerseys they can receive, sign, and sell before they sign a LOI? I think that people who continue to claim that it doesn't matter because it happens everywhere are idiots. It may be true about it happening all over, but there's no way to stop it if you continue to turn the other cheek. This isn't about selling a television. I have been here long enough to know that you're not that stupid, keets. The players have been penalized for their part and that's fine. Tressell did something (cover-up) that almost always gets a coach fired. I don't care to speculate what the NCAA will do here, but I think the 5 games that he has now asked for (only after media scrutiny) will be extended, before it's all said and done. The scum trail following Tressell seems to be finally catching up with him. From Youngstown, to accusations surrounding Clarrett, Hawk, Pryor, etc... I think this guy may have trouble shaking all of it at then end of the day. Time will tell.
  • Options
    bump....for more Tressel lies.

Tsk Tsk
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    This story is getting more and more interesting. I like the Tressel will be fired and Urban Meyer takes over for him. That would be epic!

LINK

Plus, it sounds like Tressel would fit in better in the SEC so maybe he can find a job down there!? image