Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Will rare cards affect Master Set Registry (Jeter Master Set started)

Hi guys, I'm new to Psa and this forum. I recently decided to send in my promos that I have collected since the late 80's, many of which I noticed are not on the Pop report. I just wondered if this will cause a change in the master set list of each player, since it's not known how many of each of these exist. I received 5 9's and a 7.5 on my first submission, just waiting for them to be returned then I will decide if I will send more in for grading. I have over 900 similar type cards and looking at the pop report, I thought it would add legitimacy to the fact they do exist if they were graded. Any thoughts about this post would be appreciated.

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    If you request they be added to the master set and they are it will cause a change- I would expect there would be a bit of a demand for those issues.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Thanks for the reply, I wasn't sure if I would have to set up my own master set registry before I could ask that a card be added.
  • Yep,you have to have a set registered in order to add a new card to that set.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the boards...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Hi Huncrelan,

Welcome to the boards! Which sports do you have promos from? If you have any football, do you have any Lawrence Taylor promos from his playing days?

Thanks,
    John
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Ralph, Donato and John thanks for the welcome.

John I have promos from all sports, I checked my football and didn't find any LT's unless he is in one of the 17 unopened packs I can't see the cards in the middle.

Paul
  • Paul,

Thanks for checking.

John
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Hi and welcome!

I'm not overly familiar with promo cards. How did you acquire so many? And how/where did you get unopened packs of promos?? Those may be worth grading and selling as they are since they are such limited productions.

I've got one Kirby Puckett promo, (1991 STAR DIAMOND SER.), in PSA9 that has a pop of 1 with no 10s. I bought that already graded and don't remember seeing promos available elsewhere.

Best of luck on getting high grades for your collection. It sounds like a winner!
  • Mike, thanks for the welcome. To answer your question, my son started his own business when he was 13 back in 1987. He applied to all the major card companies and eventually bought direct from most of them. They sent out promos with the order forms for all products and he kept them. He setup at shows around the country between 1987 and 1996. After college cards were put on hold so I have what product we didn't sell plus lots of singles and promos and such. My son passed away last year so I have started to look through the inventory trying to decide what to do with it. I haven't touched this stuff in over 14 years, things have really changed in the card market it seems. I will try and put up a few scans of the promos I sent in where people can take a look. I also sent in a few other types of cards just to get a feel for the grading process. I'm not sure if I will send any more in to be graded since I don't have a plan to sell them or know if I want to start my own Registry.

Paul
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    the real answer is based on how rare the promos were. i use to work at a card shop and they probably had the same promos that you have. promos have filtered out on the market from then. some actually might be in master sets already. those that havent been graded yet clearly arent. as for their effect on the registry it will depend on the value of the cards. if they arent listed in beckett it might be hard for them to judge the value let alone grade them. if they cant find anything in beckett or elsewhere (though they mainly go by beckett for card info) they wont be graded and will be returned with a sticker saying no certification info.

the overall take is that unless the cards have a high value, since we are talking about modern cards here, values much higher than rookies it wont have much of an effect. just for example the highest weighted cards in the Favre master set have to have values well over $800 to start to come close to a weight of 10. again you will have to demonstrate to psa their value. so for current modern cards that have are say 5/5 (meaing only 5 cards in existence) you will have to show some type of price. since beckett doesnt provide prices for rare/low numbered cards, you will have show an ebay sale price. i have done this to get the correct weight on a few of those types in my favre set. that means you need to keep the ebay info on your purchases or in your case a sale.

however, if you think you are going to retire on the sale of these cards i wouldnt bet on it. some might draw some nice bids if its huge star...but again these promos werent hard to come by.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    My deepest condolences for your loss.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• jradke4, thanks for your response, and it is very inciteful and appreciated. I think some of the early promos that were not marked as Promo or Sample might be of more interest to collectors. One example is the 1990 Score Baseball Promo, if you look in the SCD you will notice a list of the cards that were sent to dealers. The only one graded is a Nolan Ryan and if the owner of that card is on this forum I would love to hear his thoughts. It is believed most of these cards were given away or ended up in the common bin since it was very difficult to tell them from the real issue. I agree when U.D. sent out promos most were marked and I'm sure most are not rare. The packs that I have are mostly Pinnacle, Summit, Score and Select in all of the sports. I have single promos from U.D. , Leaf and a few others and all of the order literature and freebies they sent out. I'm not looking to get rich off this stuff and I retired in 2000 so that's not a issue, Just having a little fun.

Griffins, I appreciate your comment and concern.

Paul
  • I thought I would try and post a scan of 9 unopened promo packs. There are several cards per pack. I scanned the front since there is a seam on the back. I know PSA does wax packs but I haven't seen any sealed promo packs that were graded.

Paul

• I added a Barry Sanders Promo card which was on the back of one of the packs.

• Here is the first scan of one of my Sample/Promo cards that I sent in. It is not rare since 13 have been graded but I really like this card.

• Here is one of the Samples I got back and posted about earlier. It is not listed in the Master Set reg. for Jeter. There have been 4 submitted with (zero) 10's and (3) PSA-9's. I would think someone would want to add this to the master registry.

• bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I'm certainly not one who deals in extremely rare cards, but I thought I read somewhere that PSA would only include cards in registry sets if they had a certain minimum number of graded examples.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • HuncrelanHuncrelan Posts: 216

<< <i>Here is one of the Samples I got back and posted about earlier. It is not listed in the Master Set reg. for Jeter. There have been 4 submitted with (zero) 10's and (3) PSA-9's. I would think someone would want to add this to the master registry.

image >>

I started my Jeter Master Set Registry today with this card and will be requesting that PSA add the sample pictured above to the registry. I'm not sure what the requirement is, but as I stated above 4 have been submitted and graded so far.

Paul

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm certainly not one who deals in extremely rare cards, but I thought I read somewhere that PSA would only include cards in registry sets if they had a certain minimum number of graded examples. >>

That is correct. I don't recall what the # is, maybe 50 or 100.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    I think the minimum # is up to PSA's discretion at least for pre-war cards. For example, the 1926 Kut Outs for Babe Ruth is in the Ruth Master Registry as a required piece even though there has only been one card graded by PSA. Pop Report
    I sent an inquiry email earlier today on this topic to the setregistry link. I will post the contents of the email when I get the answer.

Paul
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the minimum # is up to PSA's discretion at least for pre-war cards. For example, the 1926 Kut Outs for Babe Ruth is in the Ruth Master Registry as a required piece even though there has only been one card graded by PSA. Pop Report >>

It doesn't have anything to do with how many have been graded by PSA, it only depends on how many of the card were actually made.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    That is correct. There are tons of examples of cards in which only one has ever been graded by PSA and they are in player registry sets. I've had quite a few cards graded for the first time that are in sets. There are a lot of Master sets in which PSA picked the cards at the beginning in which they just entered practically every card ever graded on that player. In some of the sets I collect, these are the cards that keep me from completion, as I can't find them ungraded to get them graded.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    I'm not sure this cleared anything up. Below is the email I got today from PSA Set Registry.

Hi Paul,
    Regarding the player sets, all cards with the exception of unique or very limited edition cards, are accepted in the master player sets. However, before you can request a new addition for a player set you must currently be participating in the set.
    Thank you,

My email:

To: Set Registry
    Subject: Adding a card to Master Set

Is there a minimum number of cards that have to be graded in order to get that card added to a Master Set? I have many U.D., Pinnacle, Select and Score samples and promos that I was considering submitting to PSA for grading but I don't want to waste my money if they can't be added to the Master Set Registry.

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    They can be added. But you have to already have at least one card in the set already. For example, since I don't have a 1964 Topps baseball master set in the PSA Registry, I can't request cards to be added to the Master set for that set. As soon as I register a set and put in at least one card, then I can request an addition.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Hi Huncrelan and welcome to the boards.

I first things first. My sincere condolences for your loss.

Secondly

As everyone and PSA stated. You need to have a set to start making slot requests on a set on the registry. You also need to have the card you want to add to the set part of your inventory.

For example. In April I got a new Jeter card and made a request on all the appropriate Jeter sets that does not have a slot for the new 2011 Topps #330 base card. Now since I have all the Jeter sets registered on the set registry. I added the 2011 Topps #330 card to my inventory even though it didn't match any of the Jeter sets. After adding that card to my inventory I then had to go into each set by clicking on the "edit" link and then clicked on the link "Report a cert that should match this composite". When I got into that link. On "Request Type" I checked the circle "New slot". Then I went to the line that says "Cert Number" I added the cert number. The page auto-magically filled in the "New Slot Name" so I didn't have to do anything else. I clicked on the button "Submit Request" and I was done. I then had to wait for an email from PSA that confirms the card is added. In fact I just got an email today on the 2011 Topps #330 Jeter card. Here is what it looks like.

"Dear Timothy Wiley:

The Derek Jeter Basic Set has been updated with the item '2011 TOPPS 330 DEREK JETER' which you requested on 4/18/2011 5:02:00 PM. You can now add your item to the set. Should you have any questions, please contact setregistry@collectors.com.

Thank you.

The Set Registry Staff"

So basically you have to have the set registered. You have to have the card you are requesting in your inventory. Then you have to "Report a cert that should match this composite"

I hope this helps.

Tim

• << <i>Hi Huncrelan and welcome to the boards.

I first things first. My sincere condolences for your loss.

Secondly

As everyone and PSA stated. You need to have a set to start making slot requests on a set on the registry. You also need to have the card you want to add to the set part of your inventory.

For example. In April I got a new Jeter card and made a request on all the appropriate Jeter sets that does not have a slot for the new 2011 Topps #330 base card. Now since I have all the Jeter sets registered on the set registry. I added the 2011 Topps #330 card to my inventory even though it didn't match any of the Jeter sets. After adding that card to my inventory I then had to go into each set by clicking on the "edit" link and then clicked on the link "Report a cert that should match this composite". When I got into that link. On "Request Type" I checked the circle "New slot". Then I went to the line that says "Cert Number" I added the cert number. The page auto-magically filled in the "New Slot Name" so I didn't have to do anything else. I clicked on the button "Submit Request" and I was done. I then had to wait for an email from PSA that confirms the card is added. In fact I just got an email today on the 2011 Topps #330 Jeter card. Here is what it looks like.

"Dear Timothy Wiley:

The Derek Jeter Basic Set has been updated with the item '2011 TOPPS 330 DEREK JETER' which you requested on 4/18/2011 5:02:00 PM. You can now add your item to the set. Should you have any questions, please contact setregistry@collectors.com.

Thank you.

The Set Registry Staff"

So basically you have to have the set registered. You have to have the card you are requesting in your inventory. Then you have to "Report a cert that should match this composite"

I hope this helps.

Tim >>

Thanks to all who responded earlier in the thread.

Tim, thanks for your response and kind words.
    I completed the first 2 steps above last week and will complete the rest tonight. Thanks for the excellent info.

Paul
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    No problemo. Glad to help.

Please keep me in mind if you ever find or have any extra Derek Jeter psa 10 cards I have on my want list image
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm certainly not one who deals in extremely rare cards, but I thought I read somewhere that PSA would only include cards in registry sets if they had a certain minimum number of graded examples. >>

That is correct. I don't recall what the # is, maybe 50 or 100. >>

When I had my Griffey Master set, this got added, and its print run is 10: